Doubts over GP Final: Cancelled | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Doubts over GP Final: Cancelled

Country
Norway
Good points.
I am sorry to see the GPF go, but at least we had an almost normal start of the season. Audience allowed at competitions, and all GP events taking place, is a major upgrade from last year. At least many skaters have had a chance to earn world ranking points, and new SB and PB.
Also true about Japan not being the only strict country. China cancels repeatedly, and Slovakia canceled its Challenger two times in a row.

I am not sure WTT is held in Olympic years, can anyone refresh my memory? Even if GPF/JGPF were held instead of WTT, I am not sure it would not run out of alternates. It has been said many times how exhausting the OG seasons is for top skaters, and the field at Olympic year WC tends to be missing the biggest Olympic contenders. Who in this case, would also be GP finalists and alternates.

But I will keep my fingers crossed for EC and 4CC to take place. The competitors from smaller countries (and B teams from the big feds) need it.
Oh I have no idea if they have WTT in Olympic years, maybe not :) It would be good if it´s not planned this season, makes it easier to have the postponed GP. Most likely some might skip it, but we will see.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Exactly. I hope the ISU at least finds an alternative host for JGPF and gives these shady wild card spots to skaters who actually participated in the JGP series.
I am really hoping that JPF goes ahead, and in its normal format, 6 entries per discipline, by results, no wild cards from Japan or anyone. Maybe reinvite Levito though, because that was unfortunate timing to WD

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I am not sure WTT is held in Olympic years, can anyone refresh my memory?

Oh I have no idea if they have WTT in Olympic years, maybe not :) It would be good if it´s not planned this season, makes it easier to have the postponed GP. Most likely some might skip it, but we will see.

The Olympics are held on even numbered years. The World Team Trophy is held on odd-numbered years, apart from when the 2011 edition was delayed until 2012 due to the tsunami.

So, after having one last season, the next WTT isn't due until 2023.

CaroLiza_fan

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I am really hoping that JPF goes ahead, and in its normal format, 6 entries per discipline, by results, no wild cards from Japan or anyone. Maybe reinvite Levito though, because that was unfortunate timing to WD

Do you know why Levito WD? That was a surprise to me.

Country
Norway
Is julebord is really Christmas table? I never understood how to say this in English before.
LOL I don´t know, i´m not sure because we arranged it once in a study group with foreign students and we translated it as Christmas table, I always thought it was a actual translation but maybe it´s a false friend :laugh: But reading the news now it seem most papers translate it as "Christmas party" so I think it´s a more correctly translation of this weird tradition :laugh2:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason Brown had this message for his Japanese fans on the GPF cancellation.

(I am told his Japanese is improving, but I would have no way of knowing, so do any native speakers have an opinion. He does love Japan).

Amei

Record Breaker

(I am told his Japanese is improving, but I would have no way of knowing, so do any native speakers have an opinion. He does love Japan).

Any elite figure skater would be a total idiot to not suck up to Japanese fans, Japan has multiple skating shows that appear very popular so probably decent money.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Any elite figure skater would be a total idiot to not suck up to Japanese fans, Japan has multiple skating shows that appear very popular so probably decent money.

Maybe, but Jason was ahead of the curve and his love of Japan is genuine. :)
Dating I think from his first junior comp there? He has been studying Japanese both in college classes and in private tutoring, and has said in multiple interviews that he would like to live in Japan to coach or even teach English after his retirement. And to perfect his Japanese. He has been posting in both languages for some time now.

Luckily for Jason, the sentiment seems reciprocated. He is more mature about this cancellation than I am about my disappointment in not seeing him skate at GPF. :( (ETA: I am not criticizing the decision, each country must do what it feels is necessary.)

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Meanwhile, at the other end of the spectrum you have skiing. With start lists that number in the 60s and 70s

Green light for women's World Cup races in St. Moritz
This is to inform you that the Audi FIS Women's World Cup races in St. Moritz (SUI) on December 11-12 will go ahead as originally planned.

The Canton of Graubünden granted participants exceptional entry into Switzerland, meaning that people who are necessary for the races are permitted to travel to St. Moritz without a 10-day quarantine period. Details of the provisions associated with the exemption are currently under discussion and will be announced as soon as they are finalized.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Meanwhile, at the other end of the spectrum you have skiing. With start lists that number in the 60s and 70s

Green light for women's World Cup races in St. Moritz
This is to inform you that the Audi FIS Women's World Cup races in St. Moritz (SUI) on December 11-12 will go ahead as originally planned.

The Canton of Graubünden granted participants exceptional entry into Switzerland, meaning that people who are necessary for the races are permitted to travel to St. Moritz without a 10-day quarantine period. Details of the provisions associated with the exemption are currently under discussion and will be announced as soon as they are finalized.

Is there a reason you selected this one?
I don't believe Switzerland's government has instituted any restrictions?

Competitions are happening where government regulations permit and competitions are not happening where they don't permit. Each country makes its own evaluations.

And we as fans respect whatever decision is made. :)

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is there a reason you selected this one?
I don't believe Switzerland's government has instituted any restrictions?

Competitions are happening where government regulations permit and competitions are not happening where they don't permit. Each country makes its own evaluations.

And we as fans respect whatever decision is made. :)
The reason I selected this is that we have skiing to look forward to next weekend. Haha

Also to show that granting exemptions is possible if you have stroke.

And before you ask, I don’t have any issue with sports people being given preferential treatment over the average citizen when it comes to entering countries. Life isn’t fair. Haha

Last edited:

akoko

Rinkside

While I kind of smell a touch of AI translation in some phrases (i.e., literal translation of relative pronouns), what is written here is grammatically perfect. And, evidently, he knows a lot of kanjis (Chinese letters used in Japanese), which is not easy to do.

I appreciate his love for Japan and admire his efforts in learning Japanese.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Maybe, but Jason was ahead of the curve and his love of Japan is genuine. :)
Dating I think from his first junior comp there? He has been studying Japanese both in college classes and in private tutoring, and has said in multiple interviews that he would like to live in Japan to coach or even teach English after his retirement. And to perfect his Japanese. He has been posting in both languages for some time now.

Luckily for Jason, the sentiment seems reciprocated. He is more mature about this cancellation than I am about my disappointment in not seeing him skate at GPF. :( (ETA: I am not criticizing the decision, each country must do what it feels is necessary.)
Well said. Jason dont suck up. He loves Japan like many of us do for many good reasons and they love him for the person he is and the fact that he is the most artistic male skater. IMHO, I have ever seen. I think he will do just fine in his life ahead.