2022 US Nationals - Member Chat | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2022 US Nationals - Member Chat

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
AND now the airline is changing/cancelling/rebooking my flights. Those in the know—can I opt to cancel entirely, without penalty, in light of this?
I thought we could cancel with no penalty until Jan 2?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have emailed Brent for the exact dates and if San Jose is still on. The Arena hotel needs to be reserved early. And its best to call. Its nice, it has an all you can eat breakfast buffet, with protein, and its next to a whole foods store full of skaters...and its warm.

After careful consideration and talking to my wife, who has to witness my Chronic Mycoplasma pneumoniae/ Bronchial/ COPD flair ups for ten years till we all had to wear masks, I have elected to cancel and sent an email to my Holland America Cruise consultant ref. a Mexican riveara 7 day cruise out of San Diego where you can eat and sit outside and there will be sun and warmth. And no one makes you get off the boat. If that doesnt go, then there is always San Diego where there will be sun and you can eat out side and watch the Ocean. Did I mention warmth?

To all my friends (Arriba and Ice Coverage and Iluvtodd, etc) and anyone attending, PLEASE BE CAREFUL. Remember, maybe on the plane but certainly in the arena, there will be people with covid shedding virus two days before having symptoms and some will be wearing ineffective masks. I have lost a friend and had so many others sick and some with long term effects....lets all be careful out there.
Chris not looking forward to minus five tomorrow night and all that new snow that needs to be delt with.
CDC has cruises at level 4 and we are advised to not cruise…

Seven Sisters

Medalist
The event ticket cancellation deadline is Jan 2 (or Jan 5 with some sorts of tickets). The problem I experienced was with my flights to Nashville. I do apologize, Coyote Chris has been giving us helpful updates about the flight situation, but I hadn’t been paying much attention to them—and now it is the flight availability issue which is driving the decision for me. I don’t relish the idea of being stuck in the Nashville airport for hours and hours due to cancelled flights, that seems unsafe to me. So I’ve made the difficult decision to cancel, and watch on TV with the rest of you!

And for Skate America next year, USFS, if you are listening, no red state please! No Las Vegas! Let’s have this in, say, the Skating Club of Boston, where the PA announcers remind you to keep your masks on!

katymay

Medalist
Who thinks its a good idea to travel with just a carry on? I have never done that but something in the back of my mind is telling me to try it. I am TSA pre check so I can stuff mouthwash, etc in my baggie. All other big liquid items can be purchased on site.
I travel with a carry on only- always-and only bring stuff I leave (or shed) along the way, usually stuff that was destined for Goodwill, including carryon bag which we seem to have hundreds of. Therefore, I bring nothing back, and save the checked luggage fees. (Or if forced to fly Frontier-the carry on fee). Anything I can't live without I mail back along the way (worked fine for a month long European cruise).

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
AND now the airline is changing/cancelling/rebooking my flights. Those in the know—can I opt to cancel entirely, without penalty, in light of this?
I think Seven Sisters was referring to cancelling airline tickets and moonvine is referring to cancelling the event tickets.

I agree that with most airlines you can cancel and get a refund if they make substantial changes to your itinerary.

If you cancel on your own, airlines offer credits at best. My daughter now has two airline credits with two separate airlines from cancelling flights to events that were cancelled. Fortunately they keep extending the expiration date of the one that was from early 2020.

Gusmom

Rinkside
All the best to those who are attending Nationals. I hope your event is memorable seeing all of your favorites.

For those who were planning to go and for a myriad of reasons cannot attend, your efforts to try to see our US team perform heading into the Olympics is admirable. I'll be thinking and praying for each and every one of you along with the skaters, coaches, staff and spectators whether you're in the arena or on your couch at home watching our men and women represent. 🇺🇸🇺🇸
If all goes as planned, I'll be in the arena for 5 sessions (Dance, Men's, & the Spectacular -- different seats for each) and watching on TV/Peacock from the comfort of my hotel room for the rest.

Food: I am planning to do an order for InstaCart (maybe) to the hotel (have to check how they handle that) for things like water & snacks. Either bringing oatmeal cups or getting it there as well. I have a weird diet anyway due to a medical condition & surgery last spring so I don't eat a lot of thing I used to (limited bread, no seeds or super spicy, etc). I do have a couple of items I'm hoping to fit in my carryon but will see.
If anyone staying in the complex with the Res Inn (there are 2 other hotels there) will have a car & planning to go to Whole Foods, I'd love to chat about the few things I might need there since I won't have a car.

Travel: No issue so far but just got a note from our airline today about their efforts to avoid cancellations but that a majority of staff is based in Northeast which "has been particularly hard hit" by omicron. Premptively setting the stage for cancelling. Only 1-2 direct flights out a day so crossing fingers. On the way back, I'm connecting through JFK so more room for problems. I have a meeting I have to get home for that night so had to move from the direct flight home. I figured if I did get stuck, JFK had other options to get home -- many possible flights, train, a car if absolutely needed.

Transportation: trying to figure out the best plan from the airport when I arrive in Nashville (i.e. safest). Have read about the city bus for $2-3. I guess it takes 30 min or so but I have time to kill so won't mind that if it's the least crowded option. I'm arriving Thursday late morning. Original plan was to do some sight-seeing (tour bus, capital, maybe Assembly to find food, people-watching in host hotel, etc) but now I kind of want to avoid excessive crowds. I would still like to see the Capital building b/c we visit capitals when we travel but it's too far to walk from the hotel so I'd have to take a ride share service or one of the tour buses. Trying to think through if it's worth it or what would be least risky.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I travel with a carry on only- always-and only bring stuff I leave (or shed) along the way, usually stuff that was destined for Goodwill, including carryon bag which we seem to have hundreds of. Therefore, I bring nothing back, and save the checked luggage fees. (Or if forced to fly Frontier-the carry on fee). Anything I can't live without I mail back along the way (worked fine for a month long European cruise).
I need way too many clothes for ice rink arenas. I have a health condition that prevents me from regulating my own body temperature and am cold in ice rinks even with massive amounts of clothing.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Seven Sisters was referring to cancelling airline tickets and moonvine is referring to cancelling the event tickets.

I agree that with most airlines you can cancel and get a refund if they make substantial changes to your itinerary.

If you cancel on your own, airlines offer credits at best. My daughter now has two airline credits with two separate airlines from cancelling flights to events that were cancelled. Fortunately they keep extending the expiration date of the one that was from early 2020.
This is one of many reasons Moonvine doesn’t fly.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The event ticket cancellation deadline is Jan 2 (or Jan 5 with some sorts of tickets). The problem I experienced was with my flights to Nashville. I do apologize, Coyote Chris has been giving us helpful updates about the flight situation, but I hadn’t been paying much attention to them—and now it is the flight availability issue which is driving the decision for me. I don’t relish the idea of being stuck in the Nashville airport for hours and hours due to cancelled flights, that seems unsafe to me. So I’ve made the difficult decision to cancel, and watch on TV with the rest of you!

And for Skate America next year, USFS, if you are listening, no red state please! No Las Vegas! Let’s have this in, say, the Skating Club of Boston, where the PA announcers remind you to keep your masks on!
Let’s email Brent. I am fine with having all events at SCOB.

And this is why I don’t flyyyyy…my car doesn’t get cancelled. Well not yet. But train to Philly and Boston next year.

Gusmom

Rinkside
Let’s email Brent. I am fine with having all events at SCOB.

And this is why I don’t flyyyyy…my car doesn’t get cancelled. Well not yet. But train to Philly and Boston next year.
I would LOVE SkateAmerica at SCOB! Or anwhere on East Coast, but SCOB would be great! Before that opened, I also wondered about Providence or Worcester. Both are much less expensive than Boston and decent arenas that would draw crowds from a similar geographic area. But now that SCOB is open, that's a much nicer skating-specific facility (if they deem it large enough). Downside is no good public transportation but not far.
But I digress LOL. If the virus is a good enough place, I'd totally volunteer again for that.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The airline or the tickets for the event? I emailed the arena per instructions today and canceled and expect a full refund. If the airline is messing with you, I would call them if you wish and cancel and get your money back. Not being able to handle stress was one of the biggest concerns for me in canceling my trip....before covid, Delta for instance, if they canceled your flight and left you stranded, they put you up in a room at a hotel they use for their crews, but if it is full, they just give you some credit....Alaska Airlines is asking people to cancel non essential travel so I assume they would give you a full refund but I dont know that.....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
LOL! I collect old socks and other underwear and shirts and pants. When I motorcycle tour, my load gets lighter as I go along!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
A cruise? You shock me. Nationals is probably safer for you. Yikes
LOL! If a person is savy, cruises now are very safe. For awhile. Maybe not in two weeks but next week. You can get room service for food, or get food in the Lido and eat out on the fan tail...I walk the promenade deck for exercise. When they open those big overhead "doors" over the midships pool, its just like being outside and you can eat there also. You have to be vaxxed and tested and maybe tested while on the cruise and you dont have to go ashore (I wouldnt). HAL ships are full of educated well off old foggies . I bet the boost rate is very high. And I always use real masks. Can a ship of 7,000 souls get 50 cases, many asymptomatic? (Many are crew members caught through routine testing.) Sure. Omicron is THAT contagious. And even I wouldnt get on a ship now....not for a month or six weeks and see how things shake out.

Now lets look at the US Airline system...the country that is warning you to not cruise.
No vax needed
fashion masks are ok
Fights ...5,000 of them....over masks over the last two years.
People with masks pulled down off their nose.
The FAA and the FCC are fighting over a frequency that if accidently jammed, will upset the radio altimeter....the one connected to the auto throttles and tells the pilot how high he is about the ground even if he cant see it.

How much of the help at the arena in those nice eateries is vaxxed and boosted? The airports eateries? And wearing real masks? I think the arena is actually pretty safe for next week....I would still go if it were in Spokane. I just wouldnt eat there. Or anywhere inside where there are other people without masks. With the contagion rate of Omicron taking out the airline crews, I think for right now, I will stay away from arenas and airplanes and see what February brings....You wanna know why airline crews are getting sick? They travel.

If Feb brings better numbers after everyone partied at Christmas and New Years, I will sit out in the sun off Mexico and drink Mojitos, then put on my mask and go to my room and open the door to the veranda and watch the sun set...And it will be warm.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
FYI, here are the details of my delta ecredit....you have to read them carefully.

Please retain the ticket/document number(s) below as they have become an eCredit and the remaining value can be used to rebook a flight within one year or longer of the original purchase date (bold is mine) (providing additional flexibility for tickets affected by coronavirus rules and policies).

It's important to know the following:
  • If you’ve canceled a Basic Economy ticket, a charge will be deducted from the value of your ticket and the remaining value will be issued as an eCredit towards future travel, unless the ticket falls within the Basic Economy waiver. To learn more about this waiver, click here.