2022 US Nationals - Member Chat | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2022 US Nationals - Member Chat

Carolla5501

On the Ice
Good info! I looked up the info for Delta, and I have watched people over the years and what they try and successfully bring on aircraft. I always use a backpack that fits under the seat ahead of me and no one balks at that and I have a standard "carry on" suitcase. I have no issues if they want to check that onto my final destination but it may be a problem if my second flight is canceled...maybe for days. I would assume that they then direct you to the baggage claim area if a flight is canceled. But I also would assume that you would want to get to a Delta Human being as soon as possible to find a new flight. Good catch. I will ask them if I can just pick it up in the skyway after my first leg.
Not if you are on a mainline aircraft. Delta will check it to your final destination. If you are on a CRJ commuter plane you will be able to pick it up ok the jetway but based on what you posted I expect that you are on a mainline jet and your luggage will go to Nashville regardless of if you check it at the gate or at the check-in counter.

Jhar55

Medalist
OUR EVENT DATE:
January 9, 2022 @ 11:15 AM
Bridgestone Arena
PLEASE NOTE: New requirements will apply to all members of your party before they are allowed to enter the event and to any users of the tickets purchased by you.

For events in Canada, provincial and territorial COVID-19 resources may be found here.

For U.S. events, free COVID-19 vaccination and testing sites may be found by using this resource from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.

Mask wearing is required by the Event Organizer. In some locations wearing a mask may also be mandated by local officials. Check the event venue closer to your event date for the latest information on masks and any other entry requirements.

Entry requirements are subject to change.

For questions about your order and additional information regarding health checks, please visit Ticketmaster Fan Support here.​
If, due to the updated entry requirements, you would prefer a refund, we have worked with the Event Organizer to offer you an option.

You have through January 5, 2022 @ 5:59 AM to request a refund.​
My email also said January 2nd. Came from U.S. Figure Skating

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Not if you are on a mainline aircraft. Delta will check it to your final destination. If you are on a CRJ commuter plane you will be able to pick it up ok the jetway but based on what you posted I expect that you are on a mainline jet and your luggage will go to Nashville regardless of if you check it at the gate or at the check-in counter.
Agree. It's the type of aircraft that determines the type of "check". If it's an ordinary aircraft with overhead bins (just not enough), then excess (volunteer or forced) checked luggage goes with the rest of the checked luggage and comes out on the carousel at your final destination. The only difference from checking it in the usual way is that you have to get it through security and to the gate, and you don't have to pay.

If it's small aircraft with no/tiny overhead bins, then all the large carry-ons go onto a cart at the gate and come out at the gate at the end of the leg. They don't go into the regular baggage handling system at all. Different airlines have different names for this; I believe United calls it "gate check"; Air Canada uses the cutsier "a la carte". All flights from my nearest airport used to be "a la carte"; there was an actual cart or two on the tarmac, and you flung your carry-on onto it as you trudged by on the way to the plane; on arrival, the bags were unpacked onto a different cart, and you grabbed yours from the cart on your way from the plane to the terminal.

Gate check can be tricky when the end of the leg involves a skyway; they bring the cart(s) up to the skyway in an elevator, where a whole bunch of people then try to grab their bags simultaneously. It can be ugly if your bag is on the wrong side of the cart and you have a tight connection; don't ask me how I know this.

ETA:
If you ever give up possession of a carry-on bag at the gate, you should ASK at that very moment where/when/how you will expect to see it again!

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
My email said we have until January 5th by 5:59 Am to ask for a refund. It came from Ticketmaster, anyone also have until,the 5th???

... OUR EVENT DATE:

January 9, 2022 @ 11:15 AM

... If, due to the updated entry requirements, you would prefer a refund, we have worked with the Event Organizer to offer you an option.

You have through January 5, 2022 @ 5:59 AM to request a refund.

Keep in mind that the email telling you January 2 was for packages. Possibly if you purchased individual tickets from Ticketmaster there is a different deadline?

Skatermom91, you had purchased a single-session ticket for Senior Men FS from Ticketmaster, right?

I had purchased a single-session ticket for Senior Women FS from Ticketmaster, and my e-mail from Ticketmaster gave the same Jan 5 deadline as yours. (y)

I agree with Carolla that the differing deadlines apparently depend on whether the purchase was a single-session ticket vs. ticket package.

I attended Skate Canada earlier this year and there were rigorous protocols for skater and attendee safety in place—I would expect this event to be similar. Skaters and coaches were completely secluded in a dedicated area, I never saw even one in any public area BUT—Patrick Chan had obviously been designated as a sort of ambassador. He made himself freely available on the concourse throughout the event, chatting with fans, posing for pictures, being interviewed, etc. I wouldn’t be surprised if USFS did something like this in Nashville.

Just want to mention that in pre-pandemic times, Skate Canada already was in the habit of designating official event ambassadors -- such as Patrick, Joannie, Craig Buntin, etc.

Patrick was the official ambassador for 2018 GPF/JGPF in Vancouver too.
I happen to remember partly because Skate Canada's Instastory showed a photo of him there with two young observers -- who were not tagged, but whose faces belonged to future notables Alysa Liu and Ilia Malinin. Alysa was reigning U.S. junior champion at the time (so perhaps already notable). Ilia had just become Eastern sectionals novice champion.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks! Yes, both my flights are official Delta flights...Not Coyote Airlines partnership.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I was obsessing about this trip today, as I have been for quite awhile, looking at hotels near airports to and from the event should I have to hole up for any reason, and I though...this isnt fun anymore. A trip should be something you look forward to....Its not like San Jose where you have a wonderful reasonably priced hotel next to a whole food store full of skaters next to the arena. And its warm. 500 flights have been pre-emptively canceled for tomorrow all ready. So I did a little mind experiment. I imagined a table and on that table are two envelopes. In one envelope are event tickets, an airline reservation, and a hotel reservation. And in the other envelope is $800 worth of Delta credit, $1250 cash (refunded ticket) and $1175 cash (cancelled hotel). Which would I pick up right now....today or tomorrow? Which would YOU pick up?

I am going stir crazy here, buried in snow and its gonna be minus 5 degrees on new years eve. I need something to look forward to before May. There is this place called San Diego. It can be very pleasant in February or early March. Hotels right on the Ocean....great place to spend a week. Tucson is nice too.....
(Does anyone have the dates for 2023 Nats at San Jose? Best to reserve a room now at the Arena Hotel)

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Safety tip for nats! Saw this demo on the telly tonight and thought it was pretty cool. There are some pretty sophisticated clothe masks out there. But how do you tell if you have a good one? If you cant blow out a candle through your mask, its a good sign....!
candle.jpg

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Boo hoo! So sorry to hear! Was looking forward to seeing you again. Please feel better!...BTW, received your Christmas card yesterday.
Sorry it took so long (the card).

I don’t know if it is Covid. It could be bronchitis. But I am always so excited to be at Nationals I often get sick anyway due to lack of sleep and etc. But..,I, Moonvine, pledge that if Miss Gracie E Gold is at Nationals next year I will get a plane, or train, or bus, or donkey caravan or something and go to freaking California.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I have emailed Brent for the exact dates and if San Jose is still on. The Arena hotel needs to be reserved early. And its best to call. Its nice, it has an all you can eat breakfast buffet, with protein, and its next to a whole foods store full of skaters...and its warm.

After careful consideration and talking to my wife, who has to witness my Chronic Mycoplasma pneumoniae/ Bronchial/ COPD flair ups for ten years till we all had to wear masks, I have elected to cancel and sent an email to my Holland America Cruise consultant ref. a Mexican riveara 7 day cruise out of San Diego where you can eat and sit outside and there will be sun and warmth. And no one makes you get off the boat. If that doesnt go, then there is always San Diego where there will be sun and you can eat out side and watch the Ocean. Did I mention warmth?

To all my friends (Arriba and Ice Coverage and Iluvtodd, etc) and anyone attending, PLEASE BE CAREFUL. Remember, maybe on the plane but certainly in the arena, there will be people with covid shedding virus two days before having symptoms and some will be wearing ineffective masks. I have lost a friend and had so many others sick and some with long term effects....lets all be careful out there.
Chris not looking forward to minus five tomorrow night and all that new snow that needs to be delt with.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
My sister and I are from the Nashville area. We will be in section 116 on Sunday for the men’s free and the gala. If anyone has any questions about Bridgestone arena or the surrounding area you can ask me if you want :)
I’m tentatively planning to go, assuming nothing changes for the worse in the next week, and am wondering what the in-arena food concessions at the Bridgestone are like. Is there any place there that you would recommend/find acceptable? Thanks!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I’m tentatively planning to go, assuming nothing changes for the worse in the next week, and am wondering what the in-arena food concessions at the Bridgestone are like. Is there any place there that you would recommend/find acceptable? Thanks!
Let us know at home what is open and what you think...probably not alot open early in the week. Across the country, workers are in short supply. There is a huge food court across the street but of course they dont have to be vaxxed...or boosted for that matter....

bgarner0719

Spectator
The arena has everything you could ever want lol. They have places for pizza, bbq, chicken, burgers, tacos, etc. The arena even has a specialty grilled cheese stand that I’m gonna hit up at some point lol.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The arena has everything you could ever want lol. They have places for pizza, bbq, chicken, burgers, tacos, etc. The arena even has a specialty grilled cheese stand that I’m gonna hit up at some point lol.
Excellent! One thing I learned to do after my first San Jose was to call the Arena and ask when the food stands would be open. There, we could bring in our own food for the first two days as nothing was open . At Cleveland, when we asked when the food stands would be open, they said, "Hey, these people have day jobs!" But the staff was nice enough to go out and get my friend a healthy salad.:)
Not a healthy salad
1640897991760.png

Seven Sisters

Medalist
AND now the airline is changing/cancelling/rebooking my flights. Those in the know—can I opt to cancel entirely, without penalty, in light of this?

Carolla5501

On the Ice
I have emailed Brent for the exact dates and if San Jose is still on. The Arena hotel needs to be reserved early. And its best to call. Its nice, it has an all you can eat breakfast buffet, with protein, and its next to a whole foods store full of skaters...and its warm.

After careful consideration and talking to my wife, who has to witness my Chronic Mycoplasma pneumoniae/ Bronchial/ COPD flair ups for ten years till we all had to wear masks, I have elected to cancel and sent an email to my Holland America Cruise consultant ref. a Mexican riveara 7 day cruise out of San Diego where you can eat and sit outside and there will be sun and warmth. And no one makes you get off the boat. If that doesnt go, then there is always San Diego where there will be sun and you can eat out side and watch the Ocean. Did I mention warmth?

To all my friends (Arriba and Ice Coverage and Iluvtodd, etc) and anyone attending, PLEASE BE CAREFUL. Remember, maybe on the plane but certainly in the arena, there will be people with covid shedding virus two days before having symptoms and some will be wearing ineffective masks. I have lost a friend and had so many others sick and some with long term effects....lets all be careful out there.
Chris not looking forward to minus five tomorrow night and all that new snow that needs to be delt with.
A cruise? You shock me. Nationals is probably safer for you. Yikes

And considering they have less than half the seats even available as an option I expect limited options open
AND now the airline is changing/cancelling/rebooking my flights. Those in the know—can I opt to cancel entirely, without penalty, in light of this?

What airline? How significant are the changes. On Delta I think it requires a 2 hour change. However, this last week had really messed them up so they are probably more likely to refund you. You will probably have to call- expect a long wait.

Gusmom

Rinkside
Who thinks its a good idea to travel with just a carry on? I have never done that but something in the back of my mind is telling me to try it. I am TSA pre check so I can stuff mouthwash, etc in my baggie. All other big liquid items can be purchased on site.
I almost always travel with just a carryon. We went to England for 9 days with just carryons. They get heavy at times and especially with sweaters/jacket for skating but definitely do-able.
Me too. :)

Gusmom

Rinkside

Good luck! My husband & son are canceling a cruise in Feb based on new guidance. :(

I wish my hotel were closer to WF but it was either that or the arena.

16Olympics

On the Ice
All the best to those who are attending Nationals. I hope your event is memorable seeing all of your favorites.

For those who were planning to go and for a myriad of reasons cannot attend, your efforts to try to see our US team perform heading into the Olympics is admirable. I'll be thinking and praying for each and every one of you along with the skaters, coaches, staff and spectators whether you're in the arena or on your couch at home watching our men and women represent. 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Jhar55

Medalist
myself I go for refund, like you said this was something fun and exciting look forward to but not now, why I canceled