What are you listening to right now? | Page 116 | Golden Skate

What are you listening to right now?

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
9 days ago, myself and La Rhumba had this conversation about India Netté and Eron Westwood's FS:

I have mixed feelings about the music. At the start, we had an instrumental version of "Music" by John Miles. Now, I love that song, but this version sounded awful! Then we had a crowd, sounding something like you get during the protests in "Les Misérables". I didn't like that either. I liked the next section of music. But, then it went back to the instrumental version of "Music" that we started with.

I agree, I loved the John Miles original of Music from the 70s but this violin version is Muzak.

Unfortunately, I now have to report that John Miles died on Sunday at the age of 72, exactly a week after this conversation.

So, in tribute, I just have to post his masterpiece as it should sound:

John Miles - "Music"

My thoughts are with his family, friends and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
9 days ago, myself and La Rhumba had this conversation about India Netté and Eron Westwood's FS:

Unfortunately, I now have to report that John Miles died on Sunday at the age of 72, exactly a week after this conversation.

So, in tribute, I just have to post his masterpiece as it should sound:

John Miles - "Music"

CaroLiza_fan

Noooooooooo! :(:(:cry::cry:

At the time Music was a big hit I was a school girl and our Science teacher was from the North East, I think she may have been a relative as she was blonde like John with blue eyes, and she told us she knew him and had been at a party with him over Christmas and would we all like to see a photo? Ofcourse we all said yes, please Miss! And she had copies made to give to us of John sitting on a chair smiling broadly, with a sandwich on a plate on his knee and a glass of beer in hand. I'm sure I still have that photo somewhere. I never forgot that, he seemed such a lovely man aswell as a talented musician with a beautiful voice.

Thanks for letting me know @CaroLiza_fan Sunday was such a busy day at the British Championships I missed this very sad news. You wrote a lovely tribute to John, and I also add my condolences to his family and my former Science teacher. :pray:👼 RIP John Miles.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Noooooooooo! :(:(:cry::cry:

At the time Music was a big hit I was a school girl and our Science teacher was from the North East, I think she may have been a relative as she was blonde like John with blue eyes, and she told us she knew him and had been at a party with him over Christmas and would we all like to see a photo? Ofcourse we all said yes, please Miss! And she had copies made to give to us of John sitting on a chair smiling broadly, with a sandwich on a plate on his knee and a glass of beer in hand. I'm sure I still have that photo somewhere. I never forgot that, he seemed such a lovely man aswell as a talented musician with a beautiful voice.

Thanks for letting me know @CaroLiza_fan Sunday was such a busy day at the British Championships I missed this very sad news. You wrote a lovely tribute to John, and I also add my condolences to his family and my former Science teacher. :pray:👼 RIP John Miles.

Wow! 😲 It really is a small world. 🌍

That is an amazing story. It is so good to hear that John Miles was just a normal down to Earth bloke. And how kind that was of your teacher to get copies of the photo made for you all. Nowadays, it is easy and cheap to just print off photos. But back then, it was an expensive thing to get done. It just shows how much she thought of you kids. You must have been a good bunch! (Knowing you, I wouldn't have expected anything else!) ;) :)

Thank you for sharing the story with us. It is stories like this that really endear famous people to us.

He may be gone, but at least the music lives on.

CaroLiza_fan

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A Jewish Bluegrass group called Nefesh Mountain (Nefesh = "Soul" in Hebrew). They performed in an 8th night of Chanukah concert @ our synagogue this past Sunday, and they were great! I can't get enough of the CD we bought @ the concert.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
More sad news, I'm afraid.

Michael Nesmith, the lead guitarist with the Monkees, has died at the age of 78 of heart failure.

Although they were well before my time, I was a big fan of the Monkees. They had so many great songs. But, there is only one I could possibly use in this tribute. Mike's masterpiece, which he wrote, played on, and did lead vocals on:

The Monkees - "Listen To The Band"

(Mike is the one with the black hair, often seen wearing a bobble hat).

And if you want the extended live version from the "33⅓ Revolutions Per Monkee" TV special, here you go:

The Monkees - "Listen To The Band"

When I was looking for copies of the song on YouTube, I saw some videos of recent performances from the Monkees farewell tour. The most recent was from less than a month ago. Mike's voice was still strong. But, you could see just how frail he was. It was sad to watch. To the extent that I had to turn it off after about 45 seconds.

Mike's death means that lead singer and drummer Mickey Dolenz is the only surviving member of the band. Fellow lead singer and percussionist Davy Jones died in 2012, while keyboardist Peter Tork died in 2019.

CaroLiza_fan

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
This nice New Year song is called “Five Minutes”
(from “The Carnival Night” movie)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12kPdU6A71o

The actress (and the singer) is Ludmila Gurchenko

Thank you for sharing this. I have been enjoying watching quite a few (English language) musicals from that sort of era during the pandemic, and enjoyed watching this scene too.

There was a guy shown a couple of times during the song, and he looks very like what the British based Czech actor Herbert Lom did when he was young. Given that Lom was already long established in the British film scene, I doubt if he would have been doing any Russian films in the 50's. But, you never know!

Thank you again.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
@elektra blue - I think I have found the perfect answer to your boy Petr Gummenik, and all the other skaters that are leaving the lights on.

Voodoo Radio - "Turn Out The Light"

In case you are wondering, Voodoo Radio is a duo from Cumbria, in the north-west of England. The singer / drummer is Paige Cook, while the guitarist is her Dad, Tony Cook.

I have a feeling you'll like them... ;) :rock:

CaroLiza_fan

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Pelageya and Veronika Syromlya also sang a beautiful Ukrainian song together
(the song is called “Thorny Plant Blossoms”)

This song says: “One who doesn’t love, doesn’t know what grief is”

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I am afraid that we are returning to the obituaries. American composer Jim Steinman has died from kidney failure at the age of 73.

You may not recognise the name (I didn't at first when I started reading the story), but you will definitely recognise his music. He was a regular collaborator with Meat Loaf, composing 4 whole albums for him. All of his most famous songs were written by Steinman. But, Steinman was also wrote for a lot of other artists.

In this tribute, I am going to link to a selection of Steinman songs that I love. But, since I am a massive fan of Meat Loaf, there is a danger that it could become a list of his songs with a few extras. So, I am going limit it to include just one Meat Loaf song. The masterpiece.

I'm heartborken. Meat Loaf has died at the age of 74.

I grew up listening to him. Hence, it is impossible to choose just one song to pay tribute to him. So, I won't even try!

Like when Jim Steinman died exactly 9 months ago, we have to start with the masterpiece:

Meat Loaf - "Bat Out Of Hell"

And some other iconic songs from the same album:

Meat Loaf - "You Took the Words Right Out Of My Mouth (Hot Summer Night)"

Meat Loaf & Ellen Foley - "Paradise by the Dashboard Light"

Meat Loaf - "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad"

And some duets from subsequent albums:

Meat Loaf & Cher - "Dead Ringer For Love"

Meat Loaf & Lorraine Crosby - "I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)"

Meat Loaf & Patti Russo - "I'd Lie for You (And That's the Truth)"

And since this is a figure skating forum, I have to include the following:

Meat Loaf - "Great Boleros Of Fire"

Have to admit, I hadn't heard Meat Loaf's version "Boléro" before today. Suffice to say, it's a wee bit different to what we are used to hearing at skating competitions. :p

Meat Loaf also had an extensive acting career. Here he is singing in the "Rocky Horror Picture Show":

Meat Loaf - "Hot Patootie – Bless My Soul"

And we all really loved your rock and roll!

My thoughts go out to his family, friends and fans.

CaroLiza_fan