2022 U.S. Nationals: Senior Pairs Short Program | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2022 U.S. Nationals: Senior Pairs Short Program

taikwan

On the Ice
Asking for a friend: Is Tara Lipinski's contract based on how many times her name and Oly gold medal is mentioned and how (zero is the goal) little anything about Michelle Kwan (she of Olympic Silver AND Bronze and multiple World Gold Medals (5) and National Gold Medals ( 9) is spoken ?? Just wondering because they're certainly always trying to meet those quotas - positive and negative and it's been YEARS since Tara skated competitively. Enough

Last edited:

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I’ve seen in person: K/F, L/O, McBeath/Bartholomay, L/M, Chan/Howe, and SMIRNOVA/SIIANYTSIA , who am I leaving out @Seven Sisters ? And added to that on TV C-G/L, who had to wd from Cranberry due to Covid.
I’ve actually seen all of these live this season (including CG/LD) and I can report that live, C/J, at least, have very impressive speed across the ice. Not as fast as Tarasova/Morosov but then again, we are talking the gold standard there.

readernick

Medalist
I think K/ F will be put on the Olympic team because they were already Group 2 in selection criteria and have beaten ( other than the terrible LP at GS) all the other US pairs teams each time they went head to head. The other top pairs are all in group 3 in selection criteria. Which means K/F would really only have needed to be on the podium to be guaranteed a spot and top 5 for a spot to be very likely.

However, it makes me sad that this means one of the teams that put out those tremendous SPs will not be at the Olympics.

Last edited:

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
I also would really like to have Cain-Gribble / Le Duc and Calalang / Johnson in the Olympics. It's not that I dislike Knierim / Frazier - I just enjoy the other two pairs more and feel like they've both skated a little stronger this season. And now that I've seen their SPs, I feel that even more.

I hate to see Knierim / Frazer be penalized because of COVID, but giving them a medical bye takes away the other pairs' opportunity to beat them on the ice, which was possible. Not an easy answer for this one.
If both teams skate lights out in the Free tomorrow then I could see a "skate off" between Alexa/Brendan and the second place team. If not, it will be the US Champs and Alexa and Brandon for sure.

slider11

Medalist
The atmosphere seemed so tense at the US Pairs Nationals! It's an Olympic year with only 8 teams competing for 2 spots-that's unreal! I think one spot will go to K/F and rightly so. Let's just hope Alexa doesn't get Covid in a week and really interrupt the training. The battle realistically will be for the second spot. CG/L and C/J will be duking it out in the LP. I think C/J have the best potential for a knock-out performance but CG/L seem to be getting more consistent. Can't wait!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I wouldn't be so sure of that. If Ashley/Tim and Jessica/Brian both lay down great performances in the free skate, I could see the USFS making the decision to send them and place Alexa/Brandon as alternates. Given Brandon's medical condition and what's sure to be a major hiccup in training time at a critical period, there's no guarantee they'd be at 100% readiness by departure time.
I would hope for a recovery by Brandon and then a skate-off between them and the #2 team, and whoever wins that is on the team and the other is the alternate.

This SP skate by C-G/L can honestly place 3rd in team or even higher if the Russians/Chinese falter. The triple loops were fully rotated and even an international panel would give it to them.

A performance like this could actually seal their silver and maybe even challenge the Russians if they are really off. But getting ahead of myself - there's still a free skate!

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
#AshleyCainGribble and #TimothyLeDuc - She had Covid in Aug: "I was off the ice for two-weeks. I noticed I had a lot of trouble/pain in my chest. At Autumn Classic I noticed I had lot of issues and I was diagnosed with asthma. I have to take a steroid and use an inhaler now."

mrrice

Record Breaker
Asking for a friend: Is Tara Lipinski's contract based on how many times her name and Oly gold medal is mentioned and how (zero is the goal) little anything about Michelle Kwan (she of Olympic Silver AND Bronze and multiple World Gold Medals (5) and National Gold Medals ( 9) is spoken ?? Just wondering because they're certainly always trying to meet those quotas - positive and negative and it's been YEARS since Tara skated competitively. Enough
This drives me crazy as well. Tara basically skated well for two seasons and her competitive ended before she turned 18. Yes, she has an OGM, 1 World Title, and 1 National Title. If Tara is going to bring up Olympic Ladies, maybe she should talk about Kristi Yamaguci. She has an OGM and 2 World Titles and National Titles in Singles and Doubles. I don't mind that she mentions her titles for a season but, she has been doing it for years and frankly, its just irritating at this point.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think K/ F will be put on the Olympic team because they were already Group 2 in selection criteria and have beaten ( other than the terrible LP at GS) all the other US pairs teams each time they went head to head. The other top pairs are all in group 3 in selection criteria. Which means K/F would really only have needed to be on the podium to be guaranteed a spot and top 5 for a spot to be very likely.

However, it makes me sad that this means one of the teams that put out those tremendous SPs will not be at the Olympics.
You may be right, and I'm not being argumentative... just playing Devil's Advocate.

We just saw the two highest scores ever for SP at the National Championship. No one, including K/F has beaten it.

And while these are national scores not international, in terms of performance, K/F haven't done anything at all this season that can come close to what these two pairs delivered.

Would K/F have delivered in the same way? We don't know that they wouldn't, and we don't know that they would. But we know that these two teams DID, There's no uncertainty about their performances here.

If both of these teams skate to this standard in the free programs... and that's not a certainty by any stretch... then what's the upside to USFSA going with an unknown? If they DO repeat this standard in the free, then this thing about everyone else skating for one spot becomes very messy.

And I get the body of work argument, but there's something to be said about peaking at just the right time.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This drives me crazy as well. Tara basically skated well for two seasons and her competitive ended before she turned 18. Yes, she has an OGM, 1 World Title, and 1 National Title. If Tara is going to bring up Olympic Ladies, maybe she should talk about Kristi Yamaguci. She has an OGM and 2 World Titles and National Titles in Singles and Doubles. I don't mind that she mentions her titles for a season but, she has been doing it for years and frankly, its just irritating at this point.

It’s the most important to the athletes. I wish it wasn’t. But it is. Ben introduced himself as Olympic Silver Medalist tonight. Not 4 time US champion, 4 time World Medalist, 4CC champion. I think way too much emphasis is placed on it but it is what it is as the kids say.

mrrice

Record Breaker
You may be right, and I'm not being argumentative... just playing Devil's Advocate.

We just saw the two highest scores ever for SP at the National Championship. No one, including K/F has beaten it.

And while these are national scores not international, in terms of performance, K/F haven't done anything at all this season that can come close to what these two pairs delivered.

Would K/F have delivered in the same way? We don't know that they wouldn't, and we don't know that they would. But we know that these two teams DID, There's no uncertainty about their performances here.

If both of these teams skate to this standard in the free programs... and that's not a certainty by any stretch... then what's the upside to USFSA going with an unknown? If they DO repeat this standard in the free, then this thing about everyone else skating for one spot becomes very messy.

And I get the body of work argument, but there's something to be said about peaking at just the right time.
Well, I have to think that if the scores remain high following the Free Program, the committee will not step in. As I said earlier, I have to wonder if China would let Brandon and Alexa compete even if they were given a spot on the team.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

Brandon tested positive for COVID. No word if it's symptomatic or not. Fingers crossed that they, their coaching team, and the other skaters are able to stay healthy.

Ugh we knew this would happen. I'm sure they will get named to the team anyway but this event is so risky..... if he or anyone else actually get sick they will lose valuable training time not to mention have to get better ASAP in order to test by the deadline for Beijing. Hope that he is doing ok.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I have to think that if the scores remain high following the Free Program, the committee will not step in. As I said earlier, I have to wonder if China would let Brandon and Alexa compete even if they were given a spot on the team.
If they test negative there’s no reason why they should have.

mrrice

Record Breaker
It’s the most important to the athletes. I wish it wasn’t. But it is. Ben introduced himself as Olympic Silver Medalist tonight. Not 4 time US champion, 4 time World Medalist, 4CC champion. I think way too much emphasis is placed on it but it is what it is as the kids say.
If it were me, I'd feel a bit weird constantly bringing up my great career and not mentioning Johnny who is sitting right next her. By now, Johnny must be rolling his eyes after hearing about her OGM year after year.

Last edited:

Joe Mendoza

Virtuously Shady Diva
Final Flight
lol I tried to read the selection criteria, then quickly realized that I hate reading - esp. if there are no pictures (lol), so I'm sure one of yall have already done the competitiveness, consistency, and trending/improvement criteria bit for pairs based on what happens at nationals. I don't think a skate-off is wise, I would rather the federation expediently (and hopefully wisely) select the athletes then quarantine / put them in a bubble ASAP

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If it were me, I'd feel a bit weird constantly bringing up my great career and not mentioning Johnny who is sitting right next her. By now, Johnny must be rolling my eyes after hearing about her OGM year after year.
I dunno they seem to get along well. But it could be an act. Who can say.