2022 U.S. Championships: Senior Women's Short Program | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2022 U.S. Championships: Senior Women's Short Program

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why do people think Lindsay is so good? I thought everything she did looked slow and telegraphed.

Personally (and it's hard because I'm not on the "Lindsay is our next queen" train) I think it's because she has jumps, and there is so much excitement. Look. Jumps. Easy, fluid jumps.

For me, obviously, that matters less. I am consistent across disciplines. ;) And I think anointing a 16 year old as someone who needs to be rushed onto the Olympic team is as shortsighted as anointing Alysa Liu the next big thing. Anointing is shortsighted.

An analogy: I was on this forum when Nathan Chen, with multiple quads, finished third and Adam Rippon won Nats. I still remember the wailing and gnashing of teeth. Obviously, taking time to polish his craft did not hurt Nathan. It is generally a good idea :)

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
All top 6 skaters did extremely well today. So happy for them! So sad for Amber. My hope tomorrow is that Amber skates the free of her life. I hate seeing talent go to waste. There is still a lot for Amber to skate for, especially this year. Given the circumstances, alternates are going to be really important and could very well end up at the Olympics. Although the podium may be out of reach, a 6 or 7 placement is still within Amber's reach and with Isabeau and Gracie not eligible for the Olympics, that may be enough in the unfortunate circumstance that one of the others not be able to go.

Regarding step sequences, I noticed that Karen and Mariah both had the exact same step sequence score 3.90 (SS4) + 1.56 GOE = 5.46. I thought that was interesting. The judges couldn't seem to decide between them. I would have given the edge to Karen on the SS. Even though Mariah's spiral is great, Karen's is other-worldly and Karen really attacked her step sequence and it went well with the music whereas Mariah's, although good, was just not quite as stellar.

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
On what platform is Ben commentating? I wiuld love to listen to him romorrow
The Olympic channel
Does Lindsay have room for improvement yes - but she's improved dramatically in a year. Her jumps were not questionable whatsoever: Mariah and Karen both had URs overlooked here and Alysa had a downgrade on her triple axel ignored. To win in the senior ranks right now internationally is going to take point grabbing elements in 2020+ that means jumps not spirals. Would she win internationally this season as a senior probably not, but she probably could have been closer than Karen, Amber or Mariah. I mean Mariah it was debatable if we were going to see a triple-triple out of her today at the senior nationals with an Olympic spot on the line.
Yes good post.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think it's somewhat understandable. After Cohen and Kwan there was no skater for a long time to compete for medals at international competitions and Liu is still the best bet for them to become that skater..
agree. Alysa wasn't just a jumper, she also has an "it" factor and an enthusiasm that is infectious. She looks like an entirely different person here than even earlier this year, and has oddly outgrown her programs, even in one season. Her SP energy was delightful and perfect for her in September but almost seems too juniors now somehow. For those who remarked about her lower PCS scores here, I think that was legitimate, the commitment to the performance quality was not the same level as she performed this earlier in the season, which is understandable given the fall on the 3axel and the pressure she was under.

I for one think she's done enough to get on the team barring a disaster in the freeskate, and am excited to see how she grows in terms of maturity and choreography next season, with the pressure off a little. I think she will have many lives as a skater, as Michelle did, and find new and interesting ways to approach the sport.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would, while we are talking new SPs, put in a word for Karen. Hearing that she was coming to Nats with a brand new SP did not inspire confidence.

But she *attacked* that skate like a woman on a mission. I couldn't take my eyes off the steps and choreo. Obviously it was a good decision :).

readernick

Medalist
I thought her spins and steps were beautiful and well done. The steps were much better quality than Lindsay’s. Faster and with much more expression.
I'm a huge Amber fan. And, it is sad that someone that talented just doesn't have the competitive spirit but that score was correct. Amber is my favorite when she is on, but when she isn't.. Nothing is good.

I'm not on the hype every junior bandwagon but outside of the obvious lack of speed. ( Lindsay has nice SS and beautiful knees so I think this is a choice and she needs to learn to skate less carefully) Lindsay has a lot of nice qualities. I think the issue people have is that Karen and Mariah were rather overscored in TES comparatively not that Lindsay was underscored. The USFS has its favorites. Honestly, I'm just so happy so many skaters did well! I wasn't expecting that from the US women who have been less than impressive this season.

rain

Record Breaker
It was under-rotated, it just wasn't called.
After seeing the replay I must disagree. I thought it was actually pretty well around, less than a quarter short, which is good for Mariah. She does have a hook on the end of it because she's trying so hard to get it around, which makes it look somewhat more questionable than it was. But if you look at the angle of the blade on the ice, I thought she deserved the clean call here.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Did you see her spin and landing on those jump that the quality star that she have that the other in this top 6 doesn't have.

Her spin positions are fantastic that can’t be denied. Her height, rotation, and posture on the landing position of the 3Lz+3T was A+. I just thought she could have had a little bit more speed and flow overall on executing these elements.

My impression of watching her this year is that she is doing everything the Russian girls do which is good. She has the flexibility, detailed transitions, height on jumps, spin positions, her rotation is much better than most of our field. But the overall execution isn’t quite where it could be. I’ve been watching her for a while and I’ve always felt that she just moves through the motions on her StSq. I always wonder why can’t her coach tell her to emote more.

Seriously her FS to queens gambit. That StSq at the end could literally set the ice on fire with the way the music builds but the way she delivers it just falls flat IMHO. Contrast with Wakaba’s Lion King the way everything just builds and comes together in the end. That’s just one example. And I DO think she has it in her. I just hope the coaches see the need to work on these things.

Going into this I absolutely thought she had a shot at the Olympics but now idk. Seems like they have their team and will likely be ignoring URs in the free to get the result they want.

Isabeau seemed conveniently 4th as well.

R.D.

Record Breaker
For me, obviously, that matters less. I am consistent across disciplines. ;) And I think anointing a 16 year old as someone who needs to be rushed onto the Olympic team is as shortsighted as anointing Alysa Liu the next big thing. Anointing is shortsighted.

Yes. Indeed it is!! Yet it happens every year and every cycle. However, it is what it is...

Speaking of Alysa Liu, it looks like the stress of being the OLY frontrunner may be starting to get to her. Not the best of signs, but hey, dealing with this pressure is what separates good from great, and great from legendary. Still went for the 3A, which was a gutsy move I'd say, since she probably didn't need it per se at this particular competition. It's a calculated risk, and even though she fell, she is still right in it. Some decisions may need to be made for the FS though, depending on how things go.

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think Isabeau and Lindsay should have both scored higher. But Isabeau is young and can't make the Olympic Team, and I knew that Lindsay wouldn't be placed in the Top 3. I have seen great improvement by both, and very well done skates as well.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well, I was happy with the results. I think the standings are fair. America has shown the world that their female skaters are the third best in the world with their top talent and depth. I was amazed at the amount of triple triple combo attempts in this competition.

Mariah - I didn’t expect her to add a triple to her combo. I thought she would play it safe and aim for fifth after the SP with a safe double in her combo. She surprised me a lot and deserves to be in first place. Given that she scored 210 with no triple triple combos, she can do some damage into a top 8 placement at the Olympics. I think adding these combos can get her a score close to 220 internationally. Good for her!

Karen - Not sure why people underestimate this Queen. She skated just as good as she did in her run through. Also, that was a clutch performance given she had to skate after Mariahs epic skate. But, a lady like Karen is used to the pressure as she delivers in the toughest of competitions. She got the highest PCS score and to me had the best program. So, well deserved. With Amber out of the way, it looks like she has some buffer and even if she falls out of the podium, as long as she is in the top 5 and Lindsay isn’t in top 2, I see her being selected to the Olympic team.

Alysa - She looks so different. Like a woman. I’m glad she was fearless, unlike Amber, and went for the 3A. The judges clearly helped her out as much as possible as the 3A wasn’t even close to rotation. But, besides this jump, she has the combo saved till the very end and always executes. Hopefully, she will land the 3A in the free skate. USA needs someone like Alysa to push it technically at the Olympics.

Finally, i just want to state that Isabeau and Lindsay are skaters the Americans should be proud of. They save the combos till the very end and are pushing skating in USA with their technical content. Levito is a better performer than Thorngren and looks like she is from Russia with her presentation. I like how Levito went for the Lz Lo triple triple combo. But, it was under rotated. Her goal is to make it to the podium and I feel like she can do it given her technical content and the fact that she is facing no pressure. Lindsay skated as well as she could skate. But, her PCS and slowness in the ice is noticeable, especially in this last group, compared to Mariah, Karen and Alysa. Those three are who should be sent to the Olympics and Worlds. With Isabeau, Lindsay and Clare sent to Junior Worlds. I’m interested in who USA will send to 4CC. I’m confident it will be Lindsay. But, with Amber placing so low, I wonder who will fight for the remaining two spots. Izzo and Wang? Does Gracie even have a chance by meeting 4CC technical requirements? I’d like to know this so I know who to cheer for. Also, Amber can come storming back for one of these spots.

Also, Gracie! Wow! She is the final group. I kind of wish she placed 7th, after the SP, as I feel skating in the last group will be too much pressure for her and her lack of skating skills will be more noticeable skating in the last group. Also, nervous about her popping jumps and giving up in the free skate. She has to skate well her to show she deserves to be sent internationally next year and I just feel that skating in the second group would give her a better free skate performance. Hopefully, skating in the final group, will give her more clout and generous judging. I will be happy if she ends up in the top 9. Izzo was marvellous and could have topped this score if it wasn’t for the triple double. Also, Gracie could have skated in a similar skate order, as she did tonight. This is just me being superstitious.

I’m looking forward to the free skates. May the best lady win. I have no idea who will win between the top four ladies and to me, this is what makes this competition so interesting as Valieva and Sakamoto were heavily favourites at their respective Nationals. We have technical versus artistry and I love that battle.

Last edited: