2022 European Championships: Rhythm Dance | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2022 European Championships: Rhythm Dance

LadyB

Record Breaker
I was wondering if he was stashing some back bracing materials under that big shirt(he looked a tad stiff in his movement to me). But its good to see them dancing here again.
Last year he looked like he had something around his hips underneath the costume. So good looking, but one of the continuously worst dressed male ice dancers in the top flight. :)
Main thing is, his back holds up until after Olympics!

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I saw them live at Skate Canada this year and can report that while he has good skills, hers are wanting. They are also very slow on the ice, compared to the top teams.

Adorable, though! And I’m delighted to see a competitive team emerge from the land of Torvill & Dean.
Very Slow? I wouldn't have said so at all. Lilah is 22 and Lewis is 27 and has been learning icedancing for only 6 seasons. You're comparing them with icedancers who have been in partnerships for over a decade and are late 20s/early 30s. They have amongst the best and most innovative Lifts of any couple. They utilise the new Choreographic and Sliding Elements in the Free Dance better than many couples. They are doing extremely well together and have made great strides. Why shouldn't they challenge the Italians? They beat both Spanish teams because they were more dynamic. Was Hubbell as good as she is now when she was 22? Ofcourse not.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Very Slow? I wouldn't have said so at all. Lilah is 22 and Lewis is 27 and has been learning icedancing for only 6 seasons. You're comparing them with icedancers who have been in partnerships for over a decade and are late 20s/early 30s. They have amongst the best and most innovative Lifts of any couple. They utilise the new Choreographic and Sliding Elements in the Free Dance better than many couples. They are doing extremely well together and have made great strides. Why shouldn't they challenge the Italians? They beat both Spanish teams because they were more dynamic. Was Hubbell as good as she is now when she was 22? Ofcourse not.
I haven't seen F/G live, so I make no comment about their speed. But they are competing against those teams, so the comparison is completely fair.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I haven't seen F/G live, so I make no comment about their speed. But they are competing against those teams, so the comparison is completely fair.
In that case they're doing incredibly well! Already challenging for medals at major Championships when they've got a long way to improve and aren't even the finished article. They'll be around in 2026, how many of those above them will?

Jozeph

Spectator
I'm going to say I've come around, maybe even was wrong about this year's rhythm dance.

The available choices of music from " street dance rhythms," or at least two different rhythms from hip hop, jazz, reggae, reggaeton, blues, funk, swing, krump, popping, or disco, I thought WTF -- that's bad in a sport where you reward strong lines, extension, and pointing of feet!

I now think my dislike during the GP was that the teams struggled because it was a new style and so different from what they’ve “competed” before. Performances all season have often come off as contrived, cheesy and cheap.

But after watching Euros, I see that many teams have finally grown into it and embraced the Dance.

Today's performances showed personality and skill and kept my interest to the point that if a country wants to increase interest/viewership, they should make sure the Rhythm Dance gets full coverage. It's relatable music for an audience, and it's finally being performed (late in the season) by the dance teams.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy a good waltz or foxtrot, and in the Free Dance, I'm all about emotion, love, drama and storylines -- but I think this year's rhythm is not a “miss” and it will turn out to be a positive for skating.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So "the daughter" was not pushed up after all. Those who devoted their energy to bring to light "a big time conspiracy masterminded by evil Eteri" can apply their life forces to something else now.
Yeah as if Russia would take a chance and put a new Senior team in the TE who would most certainly finish behind either US team and put the gold medal in jeopardy. They are the only the 3rd best team in Russia for a reason. If S/K can't go in the TE it will be S/B.