2022 Four Continents: Men's Short Program | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2022 Four Continents: Men's Short Program

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But you are a hardcore fs fan, so if you're getting Sandhu vibes, then I must be right! :biggrin:
Well, I'm hard core I guess...but not super knowledgeable!

I only really know about Emanuel because he's starred in some of Plushenko's shows over the years.

Still I would be honoured to be quoted as evidence in your next debate with your mother :biggrin:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As a fan of American men, this competition is a major disappointment.

Opportunity knocks, and they decided to slam the door in its face.

On the bright side, others DID step up to the plate.

Holy Headband

On the Ice
Totally agree about Sena.
I do like him but I'm forever baffled by the generous PCS he's usually awarded in domestic competitions.
He's often top of the pack for international assignments as well, regardless of inconsistency or how he's been performing (though he does tend to perform well at home when it counts)
I hate to go there but all I can think of is coach reputation based scoring.
You know who his coach is and how much respect and influence she has in Japan.
As a young Junior, he worked really hard to improve (seriously had the slowest, most awful spins)
But too many years of privilege might be getting to his head now.
Ironically, this could actually discourage him from developing to his potential and achieving the international scores that he believes he deserves.
Absolutely baffling moralising from you guys. All he said was that he had been hoping for a slightly higher score, but it motivated him to make his mark internationally. Which is completely reasonable. Privilege? Gone to his head? What the heck. He was honest but not disrespectful in his response, and it makes sense that he would have been hoping for slightly higher component scores given that he deserves them--especially when you consider, say, his teammate Kao Miura's PCS. (On the other hand, it also makes sense that Miyake was lowballed a little given that he skated second and doesn't have a reputation with international judges. You could say he should have expected it, sure! But not predicting his scores accurately doesn't make him delusional.)

Extrapolating from the perfectly innocuous statement he made to speculate that he's getting held up by JSF because of his coach and has become arrogant or whatever says a lot more about your attitude toward him than about him.

Also say what you will about JSF (stupidest major fed by far), but absolutely no skater would be delusional to expect their international scores to be similar to their scores at JNats, which are habitually judged as conservatively as an international competition.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Brendan Kerry

(on the SP) It was ok, it wasn’t great it wasn’t terrible, it was a silly mistake on the quad after that I felt like I paced myself and do what I had to do.

(on going to his third Olympic Games) We’ll find out whether am going at the end of Four Continents but we recently found out I have a serious injury so I have to maximize time and my coach does a really great job and I’m happy about it.
insert furious screaming

BRENDAN HAS A SERIOUS INJURY AND THEY'RE STILL MAKING HIM CONTINUE THIS RIDICULOUS CHARADE OF COMPETING FOR AN OLYMPIC SPOT

WE ARE TWO WEEKS OUT FROM THE OLYMPICS

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Guys, someone has a stream? The one from Isu is blocked in my country
I don't know if the CBC.ca link that I shared earlier worked for you, but in case it didn't, one more you can try (but again, it might be geoblocked outside of Canada) is the CBC Sports YouTube video. Normally this channel doesn't upload an entire event, but for some reason it made an exception for the 4CC Men SP.

Reactions: Giu

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Junhwan and Kazuki were outstanding :dance3:

And wasn’t the Kazak man Shaidorov the biggest surprise? Smooth skating including clean quad toe and 3axel. Just sixteen and lots of things to improve. Happy for Urmanov to have such a promising student.

So sad that Tomoki again blew it. Every time I watch him I have hopes. He’s so much fun to watch. Don’t give up Tomoki!

:palmf: for all the pops, falls and bombos. Figure skating is a tough sport.
I had my hopes up for Tomoki...tear falls...and this was his seasons best.....I hope he does well in the free. Camden, what happened?

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
insert furious screaming

BRENDAN HAS A SERIOUS INJURY AND THEY'RE STILL MAKING HIM CONTINUE THIS RIDICULOUS CHARADE OF COMPETING FOR AN OLYMPIC SPOT

WE ARE TWO WEEKS OUT FROM THE OLYMPICS

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
What the HELL AOC?! Are they insane?!

Poor Brendan! What if he hurts himself during the FS? What if this aggravates his injury and he has to withdraw at the Olympics?!

The Swedish Olympic Committee finally saw the light, but it seems they passed the idiot ball Down Under.

skaket023

Rinkside
So happy for Kazuki! His coaches this year really have made a difference with consistency. He always had the talent.
He used to be a heartbreaker, like Camden. Oh, Camden! So much potential....

Tomoki was doing well. Did anyone else see more control in his jumps in this short? I thought so. Interesting that it's just Damon as his coach now.

Jun was great! This is the first time I've seen this short, I think! He really has developed his own style and expression! So nice to see HIM living up to his potential!

Here's hoping the Americans have good longs! I settle for good at this point.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
As a fan of American men, this competition is a major disappointment.

Opportunity knocks, and they decided to slam the door in its face.

On the bright side, others DID step up to the plate.
Well there is the freeskate. But I was expecting some fie from Jimmy Ma. But nope looks like the fire got put out. Cha is showing why I thought he might medal a few years ago. The canadian men I think only have two skaters? What happened. i know Nam did horrible at Nats but I wanted a farewell for Nam Nguyen Maybe he will be like Balde. He wasn't a great skater I mean by national and world results but he seems to get a lot of opportunities.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well there is the freeskate. But I was expecting some fie from Jimmy Ma. But nope looks like the fire got put out. Cha is showing why I thought he might medal a few years ago. The canadian men I think only have two skaters? What happened. i know Nam did horrible at Nats but I wanted a farewell for Nam Nguyen Maybe he will be like Balde. He wasn't a great skater I mean by national and world results but he seems to get a lot of opportunities.
what happened, if you look at the OP posts is that Wesley Chiu had to w/d as one of his coaching staff tested positive for covid... Regarding Nam, and talking about Covid, he just had it before Nationals and is out of shape... even if Skate Canada had known early enough about Wesley, Nam is not ready to have a redemption skate.

Giu

On the Ice
Country
Italy
I don't know if the CBC.ca link that I shared earlier worked for you, but in case it didn't, one more you can try (but again, it might be geoblocked outside of Canada) is the CBC Sports YouTube video. Normally this channel doesn't upload an entire event, but for some reason it made an exception for the 4CC Men SP.

Thank you for your help! Unfortunately it doesn’t work, I just hope the Italian tv will air the free skate tomorrow… I wonder why did they buy the right for the event if they don’t air it!!!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
WOW, Cha´s performance!!! I just adore this artistic and elegant skater!!! And Tomono, another fantastic performance!!!

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Absolutely baffling moralising from you guys. All he said was that he had been hoping for a slightly higher score, but it motivated him to make his mark internationally. Which is completely reasonable. Privilege? Gone to his head? What the heck. He was honest but not disrespectful in his response, and it makes sense that he would have been hoping for slightly higher component scores given that he deserves them--especially when you consider, say, his teammate Kao Miura's PCS. (On the other hand, it also makes sense that Miyake was lowballed a little given that he skated second and doesn't have a reputation with international judges. You could say he should have expected it, sure! But not predicting his scores accurately doesn't make him delusional.)

Extrapolating from the perfectly innocuous statement he made to speculate that he's getting held up by JSF because of his coach and has become arrogant or whatever says a lot more about your attitude toward him than about him.

Also say what you will about JSF (stupidest major fed by far), but absolutely no skater would be delusional to expect their international scores to be similar to their scores at JNats, which are habitually judged as conservatively as an international competition.

And I am absolutely baffled by what you consider 'moralising'. So saying he's whining about his scores is 'moralizing', since you address me in your indignant response as well... Okay, not in my books, but you're entitled to your opinion. I stand by mine - that I prefer guys who speak more humbly at their first big event. From a newbie (with a not so good track record of international competitions), I would expect something about him being overjoyed to be on the big stage, being disappointed at his performance not being as strong as Nats, and hoping to skate well enough to deserve good marks in the FS, instead of pointing out his scores were low compared to JNats, which can be seen as indirect shade on the judges.

I wonder where you get the idea from in your second paragraph, that Tsuyo is working with one short quote only. She's been following Japanese FS for years. She knows more of Miyake than most here, of that I am sure.

If he deserves higher PCS is a question. They're subjective. If I consider Kazuki's PCS, then I'd say the difference is about right.