2022 Olympics Team Event Day2: Women's Short Program | Page 41 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics Team Event Day2: Women's Short Program

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
I’m tired of them screwing over Shabotova. Late 60s was probably too high considering she has some work to do on musicality/expression and spins but they could have given her a few more points. It’s annoying how she has landed trixel this year (maybe even twice?) and they can only give her 65.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Why am I afraid for Vince?
View attachment 4931
Because the poor guy will get crucified if he has an impolsion. I've got everything crossed for him, official media may not be awful, but Twitter will make what poor Misha K received four years ago look like gentle ribbing.

Even if you don't like Vincent you should at least hope he does well.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I’m thinking you are referring to Karen’s? I felt Wakaba’s was more contemporary and fresh. I suppose a requiem might call for a black dress, but it certainly doesn’t have to. IIRC Gordeeva and Grinkov’s Verdi Requiem program (presciently right before his death) didn’t have black costumes.

Karen’s program was far from flawless but her styling and dress were absolutely on point.

Very curious to hear BOP’s POV about Karen’s selection and skate when he has had plenty to say about Zhou.

MrMC18

Rinkside
All this bashing on Karen is so unwarranted. She trains everyday for hours competing for this event, there’s no one more disappointed than her.

There’s many reasons she was chosen over Mariah. She has a higher average SP score this season than Mariah, and has delivered under extremely high pressure stakes - 2017 and 2021 worlds - when she had to skate well when the other American women skated poorly to get the 3 spots.

Mariah’s been to 3 worlds and has placed 9th, 12th, and 12th. Karen’s been to 2 and placed 4th both times when no one expected her to.

Look at rocker skating practice notes as well. The USFS is paying attention to the practices. Karen has been landing 4-5 clean 3-3’s each practice session; Mariah hasn’t landed more than 1 solid 3-3 in Beijing practices.

There’s a chance after this SP that they will split the ladies instead of ice dance and put Mariah in due to Karen performing poorly.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
still a very big contrast between Kamila and everyone else. Indeed, she might not even have done the triple Axel. Such an absolute superiority would make sense if the points given by the judges were taken into account in the final team score. But there are no such rules, and therefore the power of Kamila looks somewhat excessive.

reneerose

Final Flight
I still think the Team Event should be after the Individual comps. Everyone would be much more relaxed (maybe!). To me Team Event medals are like dessert, but I've said that before :) Of course, it's The Olympics and of course everyone is still competitive for some hardware, Team or Individual.

dancelion21

On the Ice
There’s a chance after this SP that they will split the ladies instead of ice dance and put Mariah in due to Karen performing poorly.
I hope they don't do that because it will be a massive slap in the face to Chock/Bates. At this point, the US can't win team gold, so what's the point in trying to "teach a lesson" to Karen by taking her out of the free? She's still getting a team medal out of this, and the only thing they succeed in doing is screwing Chock/Bates. The team silver is not in question due to the strength of the other disciplines.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm thinking the fact that Mariah and Alysa both had covid played into this. Whatever lady was picked was likely going to have to skate four programs. I think it ended up being Karen by default, and hoping that rolling the dice worked like it did at Worlds.
They weren't rolling the dice for 2021 Worlds. Amber Glenn is not favored and not trusted, so she wasn't given an opportunity to see what she might be able to build after getting the 3-axel in her arsenal. Skaters need to compete in order to continue improving. I think it hurt Amber when she was on a roll and had built up her confidence, to NOT be given a chance. Amber wasn't even given an opportunity to go to fluff 2021 WTT. They sent Karen to that, and she bombed. Why send Karen to WTT last year? Let her rest and unwind. She'd done her job at Worlds. It made no sense for a tired Karen to go to WTT, and it was a further slap in Amber's face, from which she seemed to spiral down about. Or, whatever happened to her confidence last year, being snubbed by U.S. fed so often, did NOT help.

Also, I'm not sure U.S. fed expected 3 ladies sports to be secured when they sent Karen to 2021 Worlds. I think they just like her and they like her skating, and thus have given her a number of opportunities. Karen was unable to deliver when she was being touted as the next big MK-level U.S. ladies skater. But sometimes, she gets lucky (because luck along with talent was involved when others didn't perform well, and she performed well enough to place fourth twice). Certainly, those placements at two different Worlds were victories for her, under personal pressure. But it wasn't an assignment for her to do well enough to capture 3 spots again for U.S. ladies. It just turned out to happen.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I still think the Team Event should be after the Individual comps. Everyone would be much more relaxed (maybe!). To me Team Event medals are like dessert, but I've said that before :) Of course, it's The Olympics and of course everyone is still competitive for some hardware, Team or Individual.
I used to think that way. But now, I think the Team Event coming first allows skaters to loosen up before the singles events. They could try it both ways or ask skaters' what their preferences are.