2022 Olympics Team Event Day2: Women's Short Program | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics Team Event Day2: Women's Short Program

NaVi

Medalist
Please, confirm that tomorrow will Shcherbakova skate in the FS of ladies, T / M in the FS of pairs and D / S in the FS of dance... would be the perfect end for the Tutberidze team for this gold medal for Russia.

If the Russian Federation does, that the Haters of Eteri will cry seas for all over the year.
You can only make 2 subs so that's impossible.

It's very tempting but also very, very dumb to put D/S in the FD. Russia would still be favored but if it blew up in their faces then they'll never hear the end of it. If Georgia had beaten out China then I'd say go ahead but it's still very slightly too risky to do.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Well, first olympic record broken. All 3 Zagitova's already super high records will be beaten by far. Shows how much women skating progressed technically in just 4 years.

Valieva's consistency with this SP is unbelievable. Her reaction at the end shows the pressure she feels though. I hope she won't crumble.

Higuchi❤️ First olympic skate, clean skate.

Madeline AKA Salma Hayek's long lost daugther was nice.

Vlad Karigov

On the Ice
if the Russian Federation does that, the entire planet will cry seas for all over the year and ever after because they just cannot switch 3 events, just two
Ok, thanks. Then we will all missed of the skate of Shcherbakova.

Again, it is 99.5% sure that T/M and D/S will skate tomorrow. The non-classification of Georgia is the best thing that could occur to Russia, they assure 8 points in dance and released the pressure to Kondrietuk that it had at least 8 points in the FS by not having to face Kvitelashvili.

brakes

On the Ice
And there it goes. I don't know why they think she came out okay under pressure before. Those were not pressure situations. It was unexpected that she did well at Worlds in a couple of situations and brought back 3 spots. She needed to pull it out here., where there was much more pressure to perform. All the other ladies so far did it. Karen did NOT.
[...]
Again, realistically, both Mariah and Karen have issues with consistency under pressure. But Mariah hasn't really been given enough opportunities. The only pressure Karen was under during those Worlds events was her own individual pressure to do well for herself, not necessarily for her country. She was not expected to place fourth, both times that it happened. There wasn't pressure on her therefore to do it.
Wow, I've never thought about that and always advertised Karen as best int'l option on top pressure occassions.
You actually might be very right - she delivered amazing but unexpected skates and scores at those Worlds!

Still thinking she's one of the greatest artistic talents and pure innate skaters among American ladies, but yeah...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Ok, thanks. Then we will all missed of the skate of Shcherbakova.

Again, it is 99.5% sure that T/M and D/S will skate tomorrow. The non-classification of Georgia is the best thing that could occur to Russia, they assure 8 points in dance and released the pressure to Kondrietuk that it had at least 8 points in the FS by not having to face Kvitelashvili.
then you should thank Canada for this... I don't think we will see D/S... i sincerely hope it's ladies and pairs that are subbed in.

saturdaysun

On the Ice
Russia could not sub in anyone... If they were going to sub pairs it would have made more sense to put T/M in the short and M/G in the long.

Vlad Karigov

On the Ice
we will find out soon enough... all i hope for is that D/S do not get in...there is too much talent in Russia to give a medal to their weakest skaters
Any russian team that skates dance and end 5th have will give you the gold Russia. Eteri does not decide if go D / S, decides Nikita's back... and hope he think well, because it is preferable to be 5th, to retire half the event by injury.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Any russian team that skates dance and end 5th have will give you the gold Russia. Eteri does not decide if go D / S, decides Nikita's back... and hope he think well, because it is preferable to be 5th, to retire half the event by injury.
i am well aware that Russia can put any team they want and will still win. I just don't like the idea that Davis Smolkin get a gold medal while someone like Scherbakova would not ( or even T/M )

saturdaysun

On the Ice
I'd argue that putting their most consistent skaters up against Sui/Han was the smart approach. Any of the Russian pairs would be favoured to beat Peng/Jin in the free, by comparison.
Fair assessment. I do hope RusFed would let T/M have a medal given how long they've carried Russian pair skating, but I'm not sure if they would risk the gold to do it. T/M could finish 1st or 4th but with M/G there's no question.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Russia could not sub in anyone... If they were going to sub pairs it would have made more sense to put T/M in the short and M/G in the long.

It doesn't matter all that much as both B\K and T\M could reliably get 9 or 10 points in the Free skate,
So if Russia wants to throw a medal their way it wouldn't sabotage the sense of it considering their lead

Kittosuni

Medalist
Please, confirm that tomorrow will Shcherbakova skate in the FS of ladies, T / M in the FS of pairs and D / S in the FS of dance... would be the perfect end for the Tutberidze team for this gold medal for Russia.

If the Russian Federation does, that the Haters of Eteri will cry seas for all over the year.

Tarasova is the vice captain of the team so most likely they will skate in the Free

The lost to H/D in ice dance seemed to fueled up Nikita and gave the team a scare for the gold medal. In the interviews Nikita seemed to really shouldered that captain role and very vocal that he wants very badly that team gold for his team. So unless his back literally brakes, we will see them skate in the Free.

lunastartron

Rinkside
Wow, I've never thought about that and always advertised Karen as best int'l option on top pressure occassions.
You actually might be very right - she delivered amazing but unexpected skates and scores at those Worlds!

Still thinking she's one of the greatest artistic talents and pure innate skaters among American ladies, but yeah...
Just for context, Karen’s score from 2021 Worlds would have landed her in 8th at 2019 Worlds.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
We should stop picking on Karen Chen or blaming the USFSS. Remember both Alyssa and Mariah are getting over Covid in January. Karen was 4th at worlds and is the top artistic / pc skater in the US. Alyssa was a gambl ven though she can do the big jumps - though not recently. Mariah could be hit or miss. It's a crap shoot. The real stars - Schizas and Kamila. Wakaba was solid! I thought Karen was generously scored in light of two jump passes having issues. We'll see if Schizas can build from this skate and come the individual even t or at least worlds gets i the top ten overall. A huge goal. I thought Gubanova and Schizas could have been scored higher. i would have lowered Karen's score. If it is true she is skating the FS I hope she can put this behind her. Karen's skate may have just opened the door for Eteri's daughter to skate. Russia already beat the US in the freeskate a surprise or somewhat surprise. If dance is next then it may be too close to let Diana to skate. Unless they are so confident in pairs and ladies?

Kittosuni

Medalist

Karen Chen said she was informed that she is skating in the team event right after Nationals. She was chosen even after Mariah won nationals
We should stop picking on Karen Chen or blaming the USFSS. Remember both Alyssa and Mariah are getting over Covid in January. Karen was 4th at worlds and is the top artistic / pc skater in the US. Alyssa was a gambl ven though she can do the big jumps - though not recently. Mariah could be hit or miss. It's a crap shoot. The real stars - Schizas and Kamila. Wakaba was solid! I thought Karen was generously scored in light of two jump passes having issues. We'll see if Schizas can build from this skate and come the individual even t or at least worlds gets i the top ten overall. A huge goal. I thought Gubanova and Schizas could have been scored higher. i would have lowered Karen's score. If it is true she is skating the FS I hope she can put this behind her. Karen's skate may have just opened the door for Eteri's daughter to skate. Russia already beat the US in the freeskate a surprise or somewhat surprise. If dance is next then it may be too close to let Diana to skate. Unless they are so confident in pairs and ladies?

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
“What makes you think that Karen's emotions are at fault? Why are you implying that Karen is emotionally weak?
I think Karen is much stronger now with her performance mindset, with growth and maturity than she was at the last Olympics. I didn't say that Karen is 'emotionally weak' -- those are your words. I base my observations and comments about Karen on having followed her career over the years. I expected a lot from her at certain points because of her brilliant talent, but she often faltered. She has spoken about her struggles too. It has a lot to do with emotional maturity, and the ability to overcome nerves and to make them work for you. And also to have a strong belief in yourself, which all humans can struggle with in various endeavors.

Saying that an athlete has struggled with emotional maturity, based on what they themselves have said, does not mean such athletes are emotionally weak. Emotions are what they are. It's counterproductive and off-base to describe emotions as either weak or strong. It's more about character, experience, maturity, and learning how to manage one's emotions. The first step is accepting yourself and whatever emotions you have. Working on oneself is a lifelong process whether you are a professional athlete or a student, or a coach, or simply a parent juggling lots of responsibilities, etc.