2022 Olympics Team Event Day2: Women's Short Program | Page 47 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics Team Event Day2: Women's Short Program

Alegria

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine
It won't always be like this but because there's such a talent explosion among the Russian ladies on all levels some have to leave in order to continue their careers. But I guess you and others would rather they retire and work at a dead and job at 18.

I'm sure if Georgia had nationals and if there wasn't a coronavirus virus Anastasia would have been there multiple times this season.
Unfortunately the world is in a situation where you limit your travel to competitions and then home.
A year ago she didn't even know, she will be a connected to Georgia somehow and now she represents this country at Olympics. It's a farce.
If russian ladies are so talented, why not try to win at Russian nationals? It's not the unique situation. There are a lot of disciplines with only one quota for olympics, but not so many talented athletes, who wasn't able to win this quota change their citizenship.
It will kill a sport if all Russian ladies will try to find a new country to represent. ISU and Olympic committee must support the development of sport all over the world but not this farce.

Zora

On the Ice
Kamila was fantastic, brilliant as always. I wonder how many mistakes she could have afforded and still be on top over a clean Wakaba.

Karen Chen's program was the most interesting to me, because I had not seen it yet and I didn't fully understand her expression to the music, but at least it was interesting and energetic. Too bad about the fall..

Wakaba's skating was beautiful, I was surprised Daniel Weiss didn't have anything bad to say this time. :LOL: But the music choice was a bit bland and everything just pretty, she had way more interesting programs in the past...

Joe Mendoza

Virtuously Shady Diva
Final Flight
I still think the Team Event should be after the Individual comps. Everyone would be much more relaxed (maybe!). To me Team Event medals are like dessert, but I've said that before :) Of course, it's The Olympics and of course everyone is still competitive for some hardware, Team or Individual.
I would actually agree with this.
Biathlon can be combined with a lot. What if we had Biathlon Figure Skating? Extra points for not shooting the judges.
or... a Figure Skating Team Program - where all 4 disciplines per team perform one program as a group. and then maybe an Instant Figure Skating Event - where teams get the music 1 day before the competition and have to perform a team program with the same music.

brigit66

On the Ice
this is not true...the hate..wow.....
it is reality, not hate..score doesnt reflect what we see on ice. Rising up your leg every 5 seconds is anoying and not imppresive at all, it has nothing to do with skating itself. It is no choreo!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Personally, I have the opposite reaction to kamilla. I had to take a snack break. I love the sheer joy of Wakaba, the feeling that there’s no gratuitous movement (e.g.no flailing of arms or random cantilever), the softness in the movement, the maturity, the musicality, the steady build of the program. Truly an Olympic moment, Wakaba. After seeing that (I’d never seen it before), I hope she makes the podium.
When Kamilla skates I have a tendency to drift and play games on my phone. But the ladies is my least favorite event.

brigit66

On the Ice
Kamila was fantastic, brilliant as always. I wonder how many mistakes she could have afforded and still be on top over a clean Wakaba.

Karen Chen's program was the most interesting to me, because I had not seen it yet and I didn't fully understand her expression to the music, but at least it was interesting and energetic. Too bad about the fall..

Wakaba's skating was beautiful, I was surprised Daniel Weiss didn't have anything bad to say this time. :LOL: But the music choice was a bit bland and everything just pretty, she had way more interesting programs in the past...
no, she was nor , her jumps are a joke, she preoratates like hell.. she's rotating even before picking..it is SPORT, not cheating contest, her flip and lutz are literally a loop!

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
i know you miss my silly comments, but fear not, here they are:

- Zhu Yi wants to paint it black, puti yourself in line, girl, you're not the only one (kudos to her for keeping it together after bombing badly on the home ice)

- Eliska's sweet dreams are made of skates like this

- my Lara tried her best, sadly she made some mistakes and was also lowballed in pcs (i know she was far from perfect, but did she really deserve 27 in pcs?)

- so happy to see Wakababy doing great!

- i don't think requiem for a dream is the right music choice for Karen (P. S.: she rocked that red lipstick, i'm kind of jealous)

ks777

Record Breaker
Valieva. Obviously, her flip and lutz are bad jumps in terms of technique. However, even with proper judging, she would win so it really is a moot point.
That's funny because people used to call Mao's flip and flutz "loop jumps".

readernick

Medalist
That's funny because people used to call Mao's flip and flutz "loop jumps".
Mao didn't have great technique either. (She is still my favorite women skater of all time; our favorite skaters can have faults and its fine to acknowledge them ) but Mao was always hammered by the technical panel and Valieva (all Eteri skaters for that matter) get very favorable treatment. At least, Valieva is truly special in many aspects of her skating.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Well, when the expert opinions on pre-rotation and such start showing up, it's probably best I leave this thread.

I may disagree to varying degrees on some of this, but I do respect the opinions of those who talk about it in a clear and rational manner. However, I am bothered by the posts that are just seething with resentment and do so in such a demeaning way. Using terms such as "cheating" and then posting links to that bastion of integrity sports.ru. Sure, it's not "bashing" in the strictest sense, but I still find it mean-spirited.

Well, at least no one has called her a "stupid skinny girl" or a "robot" ---- yet.

Just as an aside, I often felt Mao Asada was penalized way too much. It seemed to be her misfortune to be competing at a time when the judges started to over-analyze (in my mind) the jumps, while at the same time lessening the value of some of the aesthetic parts of skating. In that way it really put her at a disadvantage against Yuna Kim, who was very artistic, but in my opinion not at the same level that Mao Asada was. Overall, I thought they were evenly matched. Yuna Kim I think was more consistent, but I wonder if part of Mao's problem was due to focusing too much on fixing her technique.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
What would be wrong with that?
I remember the Olympics in Sochi. Then Russia won the team competition. The real decoration of this tournament was the performance of Yulia Lipnitskaya. But if then the same rules were in force as in the World Team Championship, then Russia would not be able to take part at all. Because there was only one man - Plushenko. Due to the failure at the previous World Cup, Russia received only one place at that time.

It probably wouldn't be very good. In addition, the World Team Championship is a separate competition, and its full analogue is difficult to fit into the time frame of the Olympics so that the quality of skating does not suffer from this.

Actually, I'm also not happy with the current rules of the team tournament. For example, the ROС team took advantage today not because of the brilliant performance of Kamila, but because of the failure of Karen Chen. That is, even if Kamila got not 90, but 200 points today, it would still not change anything in the team score.