Quick Olympic impressions 2022 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Quick Olympic impressions 2022

Jhar55

Medalist
Usually excited about the Olympics, not so much this time. Only watching skating.
Also watching on Peacock, so can see all skaters and no commentary (Tara &Johnny) 😎

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
So thrilled that US ice dance got us some 10's in the TE!

I have tuned into a few other events -- short track, snowboarding, etc. Can't believe what daredevils exist! Just awesome to watch.

I definitely prefer Winter Olympics!

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Nationalism is bad. It is bad for your health.
I should be sleeping right now, resting peacefully before the next busy day. Right now, which means about the time when the only figure skater who qualified for Olys from my country is about to perform. Nowhere near medals, I can add. So, do you think I can sleep? No, sh*t.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Here's a quick impression. I feel like I haven't seen or heard much about National Champion Mariah Bell. Did she make the decision not to skate in the team event? Her team seems to have been very quiet up to this point? Does anyone know how she's looking on the ice?

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Looking forward to the OG in Italy 2026.
You are not the only one.
No disrespect to any host country ever, but the last three Winter OGs have been heavily overshadowed by political issues (Russia vs Ukraine in 2014, South Korea vs North Korea in 2018, China vs the USA in 2022). The next OG sans politics on a neutral ground feels like a really long-awaited change.

Last edited:

figureskatingandrainbows

It's Oka ShinnosuSLAY Season!
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
You are not the only one.
No disrespect to any host country ever, but last three Winter OGs have been heavily overshadowed by political issues (Russia vs Ukraine in 2014, South Korea vs North Korea in 2018, China vs USA in 2022). The next OG sans politics on a neutral ground feels like a really long-awaited change.
The only controversy will be over how much pasta the athletes eat while at the Games :biggrin:

mrrice

Record Breaker
With recent events, I am really looking forward to the Ladies SP. I wonder if Kamila will be there, and if she is, will she be the talk of the event? We haven't seen much of Alysa or Mariah and I'm very excited to see them take the ice.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The most controversy, now??? I don't think so Tim. :biggrin: It doesn't matter where the Olys are held, something will happen somewhere and someone will be upset.

I feel bad for figure skaters that they have essentially no audience. But I am sure the skaters are thrilled that the games are progressing nonetheless. Jason Brown, for one, a skater who thrives on the audience, has said that he has simply learned to skate for the cameras and hope that the spectators at home feel moved (we do :) )

I am looking forward to Italy as well, but certainly not because these games are so bad. They are what they are, and I'm glad we have them.

SunnyCA

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Usually excited about the Olympics, not so much this time. Only watching skating.
Also watching on Peacock, so can see all skaters and no commentary (Tara &Johnny) 😎
Peacock is also showing most training sessions. And those are usually interesting and in light of recent events, they are sometimes fascinating. Other than Peacock, I am losing interest - too much controversy, not enough sport. So far, the main highlights for me were the glorious performances by Kagiyama and the excellent short programs of several pairs in the team event.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
There may be a better thread for this question, but this thread is convenient. From all I can find, there will be no figure skating gala at this Olympics, right? It's kinda sad but completely understandable.

Horsefeathers

On the Ice
With recent events, I am really looking forward to the Ladies SP. I wonder if Kamila will be there, and if she is, will she be the talk of the event? We haven't seen much of Alysa or Mariah and I'm very excited to see them take the ice.
I saw video of Mariah hugging Nathan Chen after his win the other night. She couldn't stop! She was also massaging his shoulders. It looks like she has a crush on him. :love:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Thrilled to see Keegan invited. And for Vincent to get one more skate on that ice, at least (hopefully he's cleared to skate).

Anyway, more on topic, I am enjoying this Olympics a lot through seeing how much the athletes are enjoying themselves. Controversies and COVID aside, seeing them happy makes me happy. :)