Quick Olympic impressions 2022 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Quick Olympic impressions 2022

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
side note... I, so far, do not like much the ice rink yet for the Canadian team.... after the counterperformance in the team event in figure skating, the mixed relay team in short track was DQed in the final... so close to a medal (PS not saying the call was bad :in short track though anything can happen so fast... the USA and ROC teams were also DQed in the semis ... seems like a jinxed venue ... :dbana:

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the full list of skating flagbearers was

Michael Brezina - Czech Republic
Donovan Carrillo - Mexico
Tina Garabedian - Armenia
Loena Hendrickx - Belgium
Brendan Kerry - Australia
Evgeni Krasnopolski - Israel
Morisi Kvitalashvili - Georgia
Vladimir Litvintsev - Azerbaijan
Oleksandra Nazarova - Ukraine
Paulina Ramanauskaitė and Deividas Kizala - Lithuania
Lindsay van Zundert - Netherlands

We had a thread on the flag bearers and you are correct. At least, if we were able to catch everyone. :)

I loved seeing the figure skating flagbearers :hap10:

Seven Sisters

Medalist
There is a local Chinese audience. Tara and Johnny are in the US in a studio in CT, I think. Peacock changed their subscription level in mid-January and now have a Premium Plus for 5 dollars more a month and is ad free.
Thank you for this! I have been wondering why we now have ads on Peacock all of a sudden (and pretty annoyed, too, TBH) If I can avoid them by spending $5 more just for the next month, I think that would be a wise investment :)

Also, what is with that score box? If you’re going to have one, let’s at least see what elements are being called and what GOE is being given. Just the total score earned for each element is not all that useful.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for this! I have been wondering why we now have ads on Peacock all of a sudden (and pretty annoyed, too, TBH) If I can avoid them by spending $5 more just for the next month, I think that would be a wise investment :)

Also, what is with that score box? If you’re going to have one, let’s at least see what elements are being called and what GOE is being given. Just the total score earned for each element is not all that useful.

Sadly, for those of us watching the TE live on Thursday night, some of our posters said Peacock had ads even at the $10 level:eek:

I am on a laptop and can hit that mute button with no problem, but it is annoying. Spoiled by the GP and national qualifying events.

Can't complain about the tech box since I make every effort not to look at it, but I'm sorry it's not useful for those who like it.

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom

Also, it's really hard to tell whether the small box is still blue or has turned green...

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I really liked the opening ceremony and the eco-friendly flame. I was also a bit worried about the transportation for the skaters since people are saying they are made to wait for the buses outside the arena. The team event so far felt fairily weak, so I assume that individual performances will also be impacted, so I am keeping my expectations low and am mentally prepared for the worst.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is a local Chinese audience. Tara and Johnny are in the US in a studio in CT, I think. Peacock changed their subscription level in mid-January and now have a Premium Plus for 5 dollars more a month and is ad free.
They have had the premium plus for some time. The problem is that people have switched to it and still have commercials.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Terrible…fears of catching Covid..everything made political (at least on US tv, but not going into that further) ads on Peacock all of a sudden after never having had them for any sports…tiny 🔥…I do hope the athletes are enjoying it.

I get international commentary for downhill training runs for pity’s sake. Do I get any for skating practice, no I do not. Peacock may kiss my left foot.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Missed the live figure skating event because I fell asleep while watching snowboard :palmf: It's shocking to realize that I have become that old!

I need a strategy to avoid spoilers. These airing times coincide with my sleeping times too often, unfortunately :(

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Does anybody know who is responsible for the TV coverage of the Games? I have complaints!
Figure skating score box sucks.
Screen graphics for biathlon is glitching.
Camera angles for snowboard are atrocious.

Luge events were pretty well shown though. But who in the whole wide world might care for Luge (except Latvians)?

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But who in the whole wide world might care for Luge (except Latvians)?
And the Germans surely, one of their guys is in first place!

Also I'm a bit of a fan of luge myself ;)

But! As an Aussie I'm very excited! Earlier today we won a bronze in women's snowboard slopestyle and we've just win the gold in women's moguls! It's the first time we've win two medals in the day! And our first gold medal since 2010.

Sad to hear about the small flame though, bummer.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Every Winter Olympics, I become entralled with sports that I never watch any other time, and I always wonder why.

Short track is manic, the snowboarders are thrilling, ski jumping looks fun, biathlon is just interesting.

I don't know why I don't watch these sports very often. Of course, US coverage is limited, but with the internet, I could watch these all the time with just a little bit of effort.

mrrice

Record Breaker
OK, is the team event over? I heard we took the Silver and some of my friends are disappointed. If we actually took the Silver, I think we should be THRILLED! I won't celebrate until I know for sure.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
And the Germans surely, one of their guys is in first place!

Also I'm a bit of a fan of luge myself ;)

But! As an Aussie I'm very excited! Earlier today we won a bronze in women's snowboard slopestyle and we've just win the gold in women's moguls! It's the first time we've win two medals in the day! And our first gold medal since 2010.

Sad to hear about the small flame though, bummer.
I'm not sure about Germans in general. They have lots of sports and lots of medals. Bavarians might follow this though. Luge sport is very, very local. We have some luge jokes about it, like:

The whole world: complaining about Germans building the best luges and sweeping all medals.
Germans: complaining about Bavarians building the best luges and sweeping all medals.

Or:

What happens if you build a luge track in a small remote town in Latvia? The villagers keep getting Winter Olympic medals ever since.

This is exactly how it is. All our champions and medalists are from the same town.
This could be the first time they get no Olympic medals though. Our main medal hopeful not just dropped to the fifth place today. He almost got outperformed by his teenage teammate (and neighbor). I have mixed feelings right now: should I be sad about our medal hopes lost or should I celebrate an uprising new talent? Well, whatever. The Games have merely started. There will be also bobsleigh and skeleton with more people from the said town to perform.

Meanwhile, the Olympic moments are piling up. Girls' snowboard slopestyle event was fantastic. Last performer, last run, unbelievable performance delivered, gold medal won, all finalists rushing to celebrate - it doesn't get more Olympic than that! Congratulations to Australia! And the US! And New Zealand of course!

Every Winter Olympics, I become entralled with sports that I never watch any other time, and I always wonder why.

Short track is manic, the snowboarders are thrilling, ski jumping looks fun, biathlon is just interesting.

I don't know why I don't watch these sports very often. Of course, US coverage is limited, but with the internet, I could watch these all the time with just a little bit of effort.
Same here. We have quite decent coverage of Winter sports in Latvia but I am a slow starter. When Olympic Games or World Championships wipe it up, I sometimes follow the rest of the regular season, too. This year is actually a huge exception and the first time ever when I'm following figure skating from the beginning of the season.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
OK, is the team event over? I heard we took the Silver and some of my friends are disappointed. If we actually took the Silver, I think we should be THRILLED! I won't celebrate until I know for sure.
No, it's not over. Pairs FS, FD, and Ladies FS still have to happen.

taikwan

On the Ice
I'm not sure about Germans in general. They have lots of sports and lots of medals. Bavarians might follow this though. Luge sport is very, very local. We have some luge jokes about it, like:

The whole world: complaining about Germans building the best luges and sweeping all medals.
Germans: complaining about Bavarians building the best luges and sweeping all medals.

Or:

What happens if you build a luge track in a small remote town in Latvia? The villagers keep getting Winter Olympic medals ever since.

This is exactly how it is. All our champions and medalists are from the same town.
This could be the first time they get no Olympic medals though. Our main medal hopeful not just dropped to the fifth place today. He almost got outperformed by his teenage teammate (and neighbor). I have mixed feelings right now: should I be sad about our medal hopes lost or should I celebrate an uprising new talent? Well, whatever. The Games have merely started. There will be also bobsleigh and skeleton with more people from the said town to perform.

Meanwhile, the Olympic moments are piling up. Girls' snowboard slopestyle event was fantastic. Last performer, last run, unbelievable performance delivered, gold medal won, all finalists rushing to celebrate - it doesn't get more Olympic than that! Congratulations to Australia! And the US! And New Zealand of course!

Same here. We have quite decent coverage of Winter sports in Latvia but I am a slow starter. When Olympic Games or World Championships wipe it up, I sometimes follow the rest of the regular season, too. This year is actually a huge exception and the first time ever when I'm following figure skating from the beginning of the season.
Kiwi power! Loved the entire segment. Snowboard - woohoo! These ladies are the bad asses we all wish we could be.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I'm very invested in Keegan's story. It feels like, if he somehow manages to get there in time to compete, that will be a victory all its own, a victory over the circumstances and a victory that we all need right now.
I agree. And I know some p eople are tired of him and his baby son photo This will give somthing lse to talk about. The American who skates for Canada. THough personally I like his skating. I do wonder if he didn't train as hard ie quad lutz because of family commitments. What a triumph he showed up to practice with skates at least too.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Kiwi power! Loved the entire segment. Snowboard - woohoo! These ladies are the bad asses we all wish we could be.
It took yet another day and a Latvian news service for me to realize that Zoi S. S. has won the first ever Winter Olympics gold medal for New Zealand :clap: Congratulations again!

Hopefully in New Zealand, it will be a boost for all Winter Sports including figure skating. I really liked that young dance couple that competed for New Zealand in 4CC in Tallinn this year. Would love to see them in the next Olympic games!