2022 US Stars on Ice | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2022 US Stars on Ice

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you so much for your report, I'm glad you enjoyed the show. I have not yet heard from one person sorry they went. ;)

With regard to Holt International, I could have misspoken because I did not stay. The lights were still down and Scott Hamilton appeared on the "corner screens". That was my cue to leave. I think it looked like it was still part of the show at that point, but that's just me.

SOI in the US has not had international skaters for some time, which is quite a shame. As you pointed out, Canadians, or you can imagine Donovan Carrillo, who I think would draw in new fans, if only on the West Coast? But sigh, those days are gone.

And this group of skaters really really brought it. :clap:
2015 I think is the last time the regular US tour of SOI had international/Canadians in it.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm on a mission now that we're on the last weekend of shows:biggrin:. Article that is a promo for SOI, but instead of just one skater, (as has been typical) the writer spoke to four, and in more depth than I have seen in other promos:
Jean-Luc, Kaitlin, Mariah, and Jason

Excerpts:

Jean-Luc:

Baker says he and Hawayek have missed being able to interact with fans. "We see you and we hear you, always," Baker says. "We feel your energy, and we love it. Be loud! The louder you are, the more energy we'll reciprocate."

Jason (on a more serious and personal note) :

Eventually, he [Jason] was able to work through the self-doubt.
"I so respected everybody who was pushing the boundaries technically, and finally I thought, 'Why don't I respect myself for pushing it forward artistically?' I just started to do that.

Mariah on mental health:

"It's something that everybody deals with in some way or another, and athletes are no different," Bell adds. "Whatever you might be feeling or struggling with, you're not alone."

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
3. How cold is it? I’ve been to a skating rink before, and I know it’s cold, but how cold is it actually?
I think it depends on you. I was so cold in SCOB I wore multiple layers and a friend gave me a blanket and I was still cold. I had to eventually actually move up a seat. But I have thyroid problems and am unable to handle extremes of heat or cold, and other people weren't as cold as I was.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, your granddaughter Mariah will be at SOI, so will that be inspiration to go?

I was more impressed than I thought I would be. Much like Jason, she has charm and presence in person that is even greater than that on the screen.

Even if she didn't skate to Les Miz:biggrin:
I love Mariah. No matter where she's being introduced, at Cranberry Cup or the Olympics, she looks happy and excited to be there.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love Mariah. No matter where she's being introduced, at Cranberry Cup or the Olympics, she looks happy and excited to be there.

There's a reason she and Jason are doing the preshow talks with skating clubs who get passes to the SOI practices. The two adorable extroverts being adorable and extroverted together.:laugh:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Separate post for a separate topic:

just a coupla fans chilling at the San Jose show:laugh:

Great pic! (Love the post the USFS did today about Kristi's grandma and grandpa during WWII. When I visit the Heart Mountain concentration camp museum this summer I will have to see if they are willing to do an exhibit)
I am going to SOI tomorrow night. Will report back. I too would like to see an international cast skating show again.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
"The beatings will continue until moral improves" I dont know whether to laugh or cry. I went to the Spokane Arena SOI website. They are telling me if I have an android phone I should turn on "Near Field Communications" for entry! Bull feathers. My two year old smart phone doesnt have that. I have the ticket in Google pay and I have a screen shot of it and my reciept.

"
Digital Ticketing

• Event tickets must be purchased online at TicketsWest.com. Previously purchased hard tickets are still valid with no action required.
  • Please ensure you have your digital ticket downloaded to your Apple Wallet or Google Pay app prior to arrival - DO NOT PRINT THE TICKETS. This will ensure a timely entrance.
  • If you use an Android device, verify NFC (near-field communication) is enabled on your phone. NFC is automatically on for Apple devices.
  • Once at the venue:

1. Open Google Pay or Apple Wallet and select your ticket.
    2. At the scanner, hold your phone close to the NFC Symbol
      nfc-white.png
    3. If you purchased multiple tickets, swipe left or right to view each ticket and repeat the process - be sure to have members of your party proceed through the turnstile after scanning each ticket

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"The beatings will continue until moral improves" I dont know whether to laugh or cry. I went to the Spokane Arena SOI website. They are telling me if I have an android phone I should turn on "Near Field Communications" for entry! Bull feathers. My two year old smart phone doesnt have that. I have the ticket in Google pay and I have a screen shot of it and my reciept.

"
Digital Ticketing

• Event tickets must be purchased online at TicketsWest.com. Previously purchased hard tickets are still valid with no action required.
  • Please ensure you have your digital ticket downloaded to your Apple Wallet or Google Pay app prior to arrival - DO NOT PRINT THE TICKETS. This will ensure a timely entrance.
  • If you use an Android device, verify NFC (near-field communication) is enabled on your phone. NFC is automatically on for Apple devices.
  • Once at the venue:

1. Open Google Pay or Apple Wallet and select your ticket.
    2. At the scanner, hold your phone close to the NFC Symbol
      nfc-white.png
    3. If you purchased multiple tickets, swipe left or right to view each ticket and repeat the process - be sure to have members of your party proceed through the turnstile after scanning each ticket

hopefully it is just so much hoo-hah.

my arena said all belongings needed to be in a small clear bag. I didn’t have one, so my phone, credit card, etc went into a gallon baggie. Turns out they weren’t enforcing it.🤷‍♀️

Have a great time tonight, and come back to report!

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The best Meet and Greet performers I ever encountered were Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto. They held audiences of all ages in the palm of their hand.

I have always heard that Tanith and Ben are very sweet people.

These were not so much Meet and Greets as Q and As. It seems that different groups (like figure skating clubs or Girl Scouts) would have a goal sell a certain amount of tickets. If they met the goal, they then get to watch the preshow practice and have a Q and A with certain skaters.

As far as I can tell, Jason and Mariah did all the Q&As. (Vincent joined them for one). Now I can't find photos from every one, so maybe I am wrong, but the ones I've seen, it's the M & J show. :) In the one on the right, Jason says he had no idea about any news out of the Olympics ladies event until after his FS.:oops: (the other one is about jumps):

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OK, here is my review. The half million soul arear Spokane/ Idaho produced 1000-1500 enthusiastic mostly old fans. Some semi young ladies and young ladies (Lilac City figure skating club) No Mukogawa University contingent, oddly, this time. (https://www.mfwi.edu/)
The seating was odd but there were many areas of the near front rows that had visability issues. There was no one in my row C but me. (see pic)
The first thing I noticed was the ice seats were moved back from the ice. New Security? These are $160 seats and the skaters used to talk with you during breaks. Shake your hand....ask if you were enjoying the show....My $54 seat was row C. It was fine.
After 60 years of shooting, even with protection, and 58 years of motorcycle riding, believe me, I am half deaf. The first half music level was terrible...blasty ...although the sound system is excellent......and much of the music was terrible as well. Alexia and Brandon were wonderful, as was Jason. Nathan did very very well...as for the rest, well, clean skates were rare and it was obvious that this has been a long long Oly year and they are very tired. I dont know whose idea it was to dress up Alysa as a throw toy but it didnt work for me....
Thanks to people here, I was ready for the Beg a thon....which lasted to the start of the next half with people from Holt holding up cards. There was just enough light in the arena for me to make it to the aisle safely. No bathroom issues with so few people and not many were buying 10 dollar beers and 12 dollar "burgers"
The second half was a major improvement. For the first time in my life, I actually heard the words "Burning out his fuse up here alone" Audio levels were better and the music was better and the skating was better. After the grand final, there was no tee shirt throwing, no autographed frisbee throwing...the skaters left the ice... finito.

Funny things. The couple ahead of me. The guy was well dressed and wore a mask like his lady. Few of us did, and he looked like a body double for Samuel L. Jackson...the lady was very friendly and had thankfully short curley hair as she stood up and videotaped the whole first warm up number! Then she sat down and video taped the entire show on wide angle....There were no ushers of course in this day and age as is normally the new normal. Actually, I didnt care after she sat down, although it was a bit distracting.
asoi 2.jpg

Seating was odd....I got row C late in the game but there were lots of seats either held back due to visibility issues or ? I bought the last seat in my row offered but there was no one else in my row...for instance....the sparse crowd looked larger than it was, at any rate. 1,000 may be a bit optomistic but they were very enthusiastic. Note the difference in seating between two center sections. Due to the telephoto effect, the front folding chairs are made to look much closer to the ice than they really were. In days of yore, it was nothing to reach out and shake hands with E. Gordeeva. My gal pal and I would buy seats on the ice all the time in the early part of the 21st century. Different experience.
asoi1.jpg
Its probably my eyes...but the show "rave" lighting is bothering me more and more.....and in the past, it certainly wasnt this bad....But bottom line, I am glad I went and glad I have all those memories of these skaters and pics at the FOFS breakfasts over 12 years...and that I supported SOI and my skaters...I hope they take long cruises after this grind! Now, I am really looking forward to Nats and comps again.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
So Chris how did you like last night's show? :) Did you have trouble with your tickets?
see my review below. Many people had the forbidden paper QR code tickets and no one blinked an eye. I could have used my screen shot of my ticket...outside securtity was tough. They made many women take their purses the size of a steamer trunk back to their cars. They sent me an email making sure I didnt bring my old man chain for my wallet as of course I could have strangled a skater with it...I decided to not flash my state patrol badge and tell them that bolo ties, boot laces, and the cable tie I had stuck in my stocking that I could strangle any obnoxious patron next to me were greater threats.. as well as pens that could be forced through eye balls into brains.....I am mellowing in my old age. :biggrin: If you are a man, getting up from the throne at Home depot and seeing your wallet on the floor will make a believer out of you and chains.
(Sad story with happy ending.....a woman in Athol Idaho the other day left /dropped her Glock pistol in the crapper at a Super 1 food store...alittle girl found it and did the right thing by summoning an adult. So the owner is either out a very expensive pistol or is found and given a stern talking to....on the other hand...its Idaho....)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for the update, @CoyoteChris, and the days of high-fiving skaters are sadly long gone (can't say I miss the T-Shirt cannon ;) )

One thing you mentioned and I'm glad you did, I thought it was just me: vision during some of the lighting. I was actually seeing double, I had to shut one of my eyes during parts of the group numbers (I wasn't missing one second of Jason, but I knew there wasn't two of him 😁).

I did think however, that "show lighting" was great for some of the individual programs. By then my eyes were accustomed to it. :)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thank you for the update, @CoyoteChris, and the days of high-fiving skaters are sadly long gone (can't say I miss the T-Shirt cannon ;) )

One thing you mentioned and I'm glad you did, I thought it was just me: vision during some of the lighting. I was actually seeing double, I had to shut one of my eyes during parts of the group numbers (I wasn't missing one second of Jason, but I knew there wasn't two of him 😁).

I did think however, that "show lighting" was great for some of the individual programs. By then my eyes were accustomed to it. :)
Tee shirt cannon! LOL! They have ones at the Reno air races and man do they shoot far! Ref show lighting. If you want the champions on ice 1998, Nicole Bobek, you will see what I consider sane show lighting. Plus you will see a longer, more technically challenging program...and sane music. (music will disappear half way through her.)
This rock concert/rave/ what ever flashing LEDs is ridiculas...thank heavens for the second half.