2023 Four Continents: Info and Pre-game Chat | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2023 Four Continents: Info and Pre-game Chat

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think I will wait to book until I know that this is my only shot at seeing Malinin. The field is so depleted atm, so it’s hard to say if anyone who I won’t see in Skate Canada will be there. Even if I kick off Tuesday, it’s still over a thousand bucks at Hamptons, if I want cancellation. The cheapest option is not refundable. So, yeah, hard to say. Plus, US Nationals had insane tickets prices, so I wonder if 4CC will also charge arm and leg for Malinin and the Japanese.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think I will wait to book until I know that this is my only shot at seeing Malinin. The field is so depleted atm, so it’s hard to say if anyone who I won’t see in Skate Canada will be there. Even if I kick off Tuesday, it’s still over a thousand bucks at Hamptons, if I want cancellation. The cheapest option is not refundable. So, yeah, hard to say. Plus, US Nationals had insane tickets prices, so I wonder if 4CC will also charge arm and leg for Malinin and the Japanese.

Hard to predict if Malinin will even be there. Often USA does not send top skaters to 4CC, but this is different as it is in the USA and I think there will be people that want to see him follow in his mom's footsteps. Honestly I am not counting on him being there, but i think mom pressure may get him there. I want to see him, but will be ok if he skips.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Hard to predict if Malinin will even be there. Often USA does not send top skaters to 4CC, but this is different as it is in the USA and I think there will be people that want to see him follow in his mom's footsteps. Honestly I am not counting on him being there, but i think mom pressure may get him there. I want to see him, but will be ok if he skips.
Yeah, no point in going.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I mean it is only a week after nationals. That being said. Do we have any other examples of parents and children winning the same event? I can't think of any off hand, and that actually could be worth something momentum wise.

He has a long time to win 4CC but i will be so sad if he never does.
Honestly, I think he should, but… 🤷‍♀️

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Honestly, I think he should, but… 🤷‍♀️

I think he should not make a decision yet and wait to see how things pan out. I minor injury, he should skip. If he struggles early season, it could be good redemption. If he has a great season, he may not need it. They likely will need to look at world rankings.

4cc or not i hope he has a great season!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think he should not make a decision yet and wait to see how things pan out. I minor injury, he should skip. If he struggles early season, it could be good redemption. If he has a great season, he may not need it. They likely will need to look at world rankings.

4cc or not i hope he has a great season!
Yeah, 4CC will fill the ranking square nicely if worlds don’t pan out.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I agree bringing a spouse does change things....that is why I dont travel with my spouse and she doesnt travel with me! If she doenst want to be on a cruise ship from San Diego to Ft Lauderdale, there is no point in dragging her along kicking and screaming. I certainly dont want to go to Switzerland for Agility Worlds to see my galpal get her butt kicked by the Europeans.....but I understand those couples who need to be together and that's fine.

Yeah... we are one those weird annoying couples that actually like being together. Luckily he is actually looking forward to this. Well he is looking forward to seeing skating... just maybe not in this volume!

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
This may matter to some--when 2012 4CC took place in Colorado Springs, Cheyenne Mountain resort was the official hotel.

In 2012 I stayed at La Quinta, as I had many times over the years. It had gone downhill badly by 2012 (awful breakfast, service and very tired rooms). I was convinced that sketchy non-guests were eating in the breakfast room. Not sure I'll attend 4CC next year, but I will stay at Hampton if I do. Both hotels are a hop, skip, and a jump from the World arena.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
This isn't totally true - usually the USA will initially assign the Worlds team to 4CC unless the skaters say they don't want to do go. It really depends on the skater. I think a lot of younger skaters will go if they haven't been before. And the top 3 Dance teams from the US and Canada almost always do 4CC unless it's an Olympic year. So if you're an ice dance fan - probably a good shot you'll see some of the best teams in the world.

There are a lot of hotels within walking distance. I reserved a room at the Fairfield Inn (free cancellation within 48 hours) and there's also a DoubleTree, Quality Inn and others.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I hope there's a blizzard every day during 4CC Colorado Springs, and I hope the ISU delegates freeze their butts off every day and are reminded every single day that they could have been on the Gold Coast during an Australian summer.
Was Australia given the opportunity to bid on hosting. Colorado is certainly beautiful but, I remember skaters from outside the area having a very hard time getting through their programs. They were literally gasping during the final minute and I felt sorry for them during their bows.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Was Australia given the opportunity to bid on hosting. Colorado is certainly beautiful but, I remember skaters from outside the area having a very time getting through their programs. They were literally gasping during the final minute and I felt sorry for them during their bows.
Australia had it, mrrice. It was our event. Assigned to us. Should have been held in 2021 but the pandemic meant it was cancelled, and 2023 was awarded to us instead.

And then the rug is pulled, the event is taken off us, and gifted to USFS, all in the dark, in the secrecy, and ISA weren't even given the dignity of getting to announce it themselves.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
It is clear you are not married to a top level highly competitive figure skater....or dog trainer...:wink:gal pal gets up, walks the dogs 3/4 mile. Comes back into house, runs 1.5 miles with pack leader. Comes into house. eats breakfast, gets on computer setting up events, entering events, setting up classes, setting up taking classes, yada yada yada...goes to dog club, gives and takes classes and trains.... comes home. eats. gets on computer, we walk the dogs 3/4 mile at sunset...goes to bed. On weekends, she goes to confirmation ,agility, tracking, scent and obiedience events. But you have a good point. Next life I am gonna have three wives so at least one will travel with me! :party2: I used to go to dog shows with her and that was fun but I have now seen every place 20 times....I fear our days of canoe camping, and hiking are about done due to her schedule...but we did have lots of good years.....Here we are on our way to Agility Nationals Invitational in California in the first decade of the 21st century....

Very cute pics! Glad you have found a balance, no reason to waste money and be cranky! But better half and i could not stand to be half that active! We like to stay on the couch in front of our computers. I am very grateful that he has taken an interest. He even gets up at crazy hours with me now! Now trying to figure out his dialysis at this event... that is a new trick we have not had to deal with... trying to balance finding a different center or driving back and forth the hour or so! ugh. At least we have the chance.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Basically, I am a coward....my wife has to stay fit cause she is an athlete...and a health nut...I have a messed up lower back and have to keep fit...if I keep fit, I have zero pain. Pain hurts. I would rather work around the ranch and do stretching exersises and eat less than hurt. I would cave under torchure. Gal pal will watch skating in the winter and will even go to Spokane events, which is a plus....I have to laugh at all the problems my body has (on my medical provider's portal page...I dont know why I am still alive.... ;) )
Best wishes with the logistics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:pray:

I wonder where galpal is this weekend? Probably filling up the basement with more ribbons while I do the chores :(

LOL, the cowardly athlete has a ring to it! And totally understand health issues... last year better half ended up in the hospital for an his appendix and one of the docs actually said "well nothing is ever easy with you!". This was not him being a difficult patient, just rather he is a medical headache! Honestly i am happy she saw it and rolled with it at this point. Our computers are on the same desk... so he does not have much of a choice about watching skating, luckily it has grown on him.

BTW what kind of dogs does galpal work with? Are they your own or is she more of a hired gun (aka coach)? I never owned dogs but now work in a dog friendly office, we have everything but from a sub 3 pound Chihuahua to a Bernese Mountain Dog... and i keep thinking how much fun a team building dog agility workshop would be in office as i want to know who would win!

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
It would be a pleasant surprise if Illa went to this event. In the eyes of many people, including me, he is the future of the US Men. Has Vincent made an official announcement about his future plans.

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
It would be a pleasant surprise if Illa went to this event. In the eyes of many people, including me, he is the future of the US Men. Has Vincent made an official announcement about his future plans.

He's taking at least the next season off but not ruling out a comeback completely, but for now, he has to focus on school.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I saw the woman who kicked off next gen in women’s skating, I want to see the man who’ll do the same for men. Can’t wait for him to land 4A in competition.