2022 Skate Canada Women's Free Skate | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2022 Skate Canada Women's Free Skate

soccerjc77

On the Ice
That tube on the ice seem to have giving to Maddie lost off concentration toward the program. I wonder how much time this tube was on the ice ?

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
BTW, please correct me if I'm wrong, is this Starr's first medal on the senior level? Or for an international competition?

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I have thoughts but none of them are pleasant so I will just shut up here and move to the FD thread, see you folks there

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I'm out too, probably won't make the free dance or pairs, slight chance for men's free though.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
The Canadian ladies were just hard to watch. I think Zeigler had a strong skate, even with the mistakes. Andrews pretty much had the skate of her life here. Best of all, Rika’s in 5th place! I’m no longer worried about her second assignment.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Wow Starr!!!!!!!!!!! I must say that this is a pleasant surprise. She has seemed to go down a little bit every year. This is a big moment for her. I'm still sad that Lindsay didn't keep her momentum from Junior Worlds.

lady_bee

Medalist
It's 4:10 in the morning...
Should I go back to my futon and have some sleep during Free Dance, or keep watching until 10:40AM and dead rest of the day?.

frida80

Record Breaker
The way the punish now there is not many who does... Can you name many? Only thing who comes to mind is Gracies lutz. But her flip is not good...
Before her injury, Rika had a textbook flip and lutz. I’ve seen several ladies with solid lutz technique, but pairing with with a proper flip is rare.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I am sad to see both Canadian Women fall off the Podium. I was really pulling for Gabby to have a huge moment in front of her home fans. Madeline missed the Podium as well. That must be a heartbreaker for her and the fans.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
She would have been no where near the podium because making the podium required scoring at least a 190.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well, I thought Niina was the one who was robbed at this event. I think Rinka deserved the gold medal. I also think Starr deserves the silver medal for skating the skate of her life. That 3S 2Lo was enough to just beat Young You. Young You, with a bronze medal here, is still in the conversation for the Grand Prix Finals. The American Ladies seem to be besting the Korean ladies at the Senior stage. Yelim, is the clear Korean leading lady. She would have done well at this event, as this type of judging rewards skaters like Yelim. Rinka now just needs top four at NHK. I’m glad athletes like her, who go for the triple axel, was rewarded with a win here.

Cilla70

On the Ice
The ladies had some really nice costumes, programs and skating today. Sorry the Canadian ladies had a bad day.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am sad to see both Canadian Women fall off the Podium. I was really pulling for Gabby to have a huge moment in front of her home fans. Madeline missed the Podium as well. That must be a heartbreaker for her and the fans.
what is a heart breaker is not where they placed... it is simply that they had rough skates... Maddie had started really strongly ....

and what is a real heartbreaker is that our women do not get events... and when they finally get one, they have a lot of pressure... i sort of thought this may happen when i saw the results of the SP.... too much pressure...

and I hope this teaches skate canada to use their host spots... because these women need the experience...

Warwick360

Medalist
Despite the score, I think I am taking a lot of positivity for Rika out of this competition. Atleast she's managed to make best with what she has currently. Would be interesting to see how her next outing goes. :clap:

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Well, I thought Niina was the one who was robbed at this event. I think Rinka deserved the gold medal. I also think Starr deserves the silver medal for skating the skate of her life. That 3S 2Lo was enough to just beat Young You. Young You, with a bronze medal here, is still in the conversation for the Grand Prix Finals. The American Ladies seem to be besting the Korean ladies at the Senior stage. Yelim, is the clear Korean leading lady. She would have done well at this event, as this type of judging rewards skaters like Yelim. Rinka now just needs top four at NHK. I’m glad athletes like her, who go for the triple axel, was rewarded with a win here.
I agree, but also Young… I am still not over the shock of seeing her score.

Zora

On the Ice
What a weird win for Rinka. She was easily the best, almost a clean program, yet her technical score was lowered so much that almost all the other skaters could have overtaken her without a 3A.

That's a very flip, thoughtless answer. Skaters learn technique very, very young and it is extremely hard to fix as an adult. Especially in competition, it's easy to tense up and fall back on old habits.
But it's not like we haven't been there before. Mao Asada lost many times to Yuna Kim despite jumping 3As and -3Loop combos, because Yuna had clean edges on her Lutzes and (almost always) on her Flips and she never underrotated. Back then, clean edges and rotated jumps were everything. So it's suprising coaches still don't always correct wrong technique. Only since Sotnikova/Medvedeva, wrong Lutz edges seem to have become acceptable again?