2023 Four Continents: Info and Pre-game Chat | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2023 Four Continents: Info and Pre-game Chat

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Thanks to those who shared the presale code!

I was able to get a front row seat, on an aisle, and only a single ticket too—no requirement to buy more than one for the front row. I’m thrilled!

Now if I only knew where the judges are, and where the KnC is. Oh well—you can’t have everything!

@CoyoteChris, did you get your ticket?

Last edited:

p0p0platter

Spectator
where are folks staying?! i'm still debating whether it's worth the cost to shell out for a ticket + rent a car + flight :(((

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
So the "Pre-sale" was not for the best seats... cute.

Think i would rather sit with good fans like the ones here anyway.

also noticed on the email "Your tickets will be delivered into your account after your order is fully processed on Thursday, December 15, 2022 11:00 AM"

lol ok so do we get a second chance.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
where are folks staying?! i'm still debating whether it's worth the cost to shell out for a ticket + rent a car + flight :(((

I am planning to stay mostly at the Residence Inn, but there are a number of hotels and restaurants walking distance, so you likely could skip the car rental.

... now the real conundrum i have is if it is worth it to sneak a couple nights in at the Broadmore at the end.... or maybe beginning lol.

sallyhatchet

Rinkside
Can I be obnoxious and ask questions? I've never been to a skating comp before and I'm considering since I feel like this is my best chance to see international skaters I like without like blowing all my money for the rest 10 million years.

My first experience with live skating was last year when I saw the US Stars on Ice Tour and I'm dying to see live skating again!
  • How "bad" are bad/the cheapest seats? Is it so miserable it's not even worth it? Can I bring binoculars? lol.
  • I remember seeing a reddit post where someone said to buy the cheap seats and then sneak into empty closer seats but I think that was at a less popular competition, thoughts?
  • How difficult do you think it would be to resell if necessary? On the one hand it's an international comp, so I feel like higher demand, but also skating isn't super popular in the USA?
  • Basically is there anything else I should be considering going into this lol?

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Can I be obnoxious and ask questions? I've never been to a skating comp before and I'm considering since I feel like this is my best chance to see international skaters I like without like blowing all my money for the rest 10 million years.

My first experience with live skating was last year when I saw the US Stars on Ice Tour and I'm dying to see live skating again!
  • How "bad" are bad/the cheapest seats? Is it so miserable it's not even worth it? Can I bring binoculars? lol.
  • I remember seeing a reddit post where someone said to buy the cheap seats and then sneak into empty closer seats but I think that was at a less popular competition, thoughts?
  • How difficult do you think it would be to resell if necessary? On the one hand it's an international comp, so I feel like higher demand, but also skating isn't super popular in the USA?
I would say that though shows like Stars on Ice are perfectly fine and enjoyable, there is absolutely no substitute for seeing a live competition. Once you have been to a live competition, you will never look at skating the same way again.

I would also say that there is usually no need to buy the most expensive seats, but I wouldn’t choose the cheapest ones either. It is sometimes possible to move closer for some events, I have done it, but I wouldn’t count on that.

Regardless of what seat you buy, though, if you have an all-event ticket you will be able to go to practices and sit as close to the ice as you want. Going to the practices is often one of the best parts of a competition, and shouldn’t be missed!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It depends on the arena where the competition is, I've never been to the World Arena but there are videos of skating competitions at it so I'd suggest watching them to get an idea
Definitely. Doug Mitchell in Vancouver has a capacity of 5004; we sat in the (almost) worst seats there at GPF and I didn't think it was too bad. We took binoculars, but they really weren't that helpful. We ditched them after a while. The SOEC also has a capacity of 5000, and all the seats there are good. Broadmore has a capacity of 7,343; it looks like the seating is on two levels.

It's when you get to something like the Honda Center with a capacity of 18,000+ that there are some really bad seats.

I actually prefer to be back a few rows, provided the arena has sufficient "pitch" that you can see above the heads in front of you.

Seats on the judges side, but far from the center, can have an obstructed view of elements that are right in front of the judges. I liked sitting on the short end; you have an excellent close-up view of elements at your end and an unobstructed but far-away view of elements at the far end.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Its a big arena but poaching seats in the 10th row won't be a problem, or using groupon if that is a "thing". For special to you sessions you can get single session seats. I have been to over 20 events. The only time you will get bit is when worlds is held in a small arena like London Ontario Canada...where the mens bathrooms were portapotties outside . True story. Canadian fans were so mad they begged ME to complain.
Hey, lf I get coffee snd valium, I am fine.

This is Colorado... you don't need a prescription for Valium, we have legal options to mellow out with.

...on a side note. I was looking at my videos from 2015 Broadmoor Open (specifically the jump contest) for reference. I think I was sitting in Row 106. So if anyone is interested...

https://youtu.be/apuA96pSvnU?t=126

If you look to the right, you will see what i think is the "Skater's Entrance" as marked on the map. You can also see to the right what looks like the K&C area and that lines up with the Axs map. So i guess that will be where we can see them come on and off the Ice. I still remember my first real life glimpse of Jason Brown was when he came lurking out of the back to stand in that are to watch his training mate Jordan Moeller compete... he slunk off after Jordan skate, so i really think he did want to see his buddy and i thought that was very sweet. Point is, i had an okey ability to at least see some backstage.

Now here is where things get a bit weird. You will notice there is no judge stand opposite where i was... there are flags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apuA96pSvnU&t=66s

to the left you will see some 2x4s... yep that was the judge stand when i was there. They built a stand on some of the seats right to the left of where i was.

So who the heck knows what they will do. Maybe they don't even know. I suspect they will remove the flags and put the judges there. Still.... they have done backyard judge stands before it seems.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in what i think is view from 106, hear ya go! A few other skates on the channel if you are really interested in the view.

edit... actually just let the first clip play... better shot!

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
So i have been spying on AXS.... looks like there are no tickets for sale on the judges side...nice. I guess they want to use us as seat fillers to make things look better on camera.

The very back of the area is open for single tickets... as well as most of the rest of the open seats. So i guess we will have gaps where people buy to one session and no one buys the others

At least i don't feel like i picked the wrong side anymore... there is no right side!

This sure has been an adventure!

EDIT: looking closer... it looks likes some seats are all session some are per session... some sections look to be every other row is either or.
I guess i do like that this option as it lets you purchase all event tickets longer.

Last edited:

sallyhatchet

Rinkside
I got tix in the 2nd cheaper section but in the front row of the section. Honestly no matter what I'm still soooooo excited to see my first competition live and only my 2nd live skating at all (saw US Stars on Ice last year). I may or may not be hiding how much this trip will cost from my hubby a bit lol (mainly the hotel)

Andrea82

Medalist
Judges' draw "by number"

MEN

Australia (Catherine Taylor, Liz Alexandre or Elizebeth Ryan)
Canada
China
Hong Kong (Dan Chen or Edward Ka Yin Chow)
Japan
South Korea
Mexico (Sacha Martinez or Adriana Morones)
South Africa (Neil Garrard)
USA
Uzbekistan (Saodat Numanova)
Alternates: Bulgaria, Great Britain, Belgium, Hungary

WOMEN

Canada
China
Hong Kong (Dan Chen or Edward Ka Yin Chow)
Japan
South Korea
Mexico (Sacha Martinez or Adriana Morones)
New Zealand (Sandra Petricevic)
Taiwan
USA
Alternates: Great Britain, France, Slovenia, Italy

PAIR

Austria
Canada
China
Japan
Netherlands
Poland
Slovenia
Slovakia
USA
Alternates: Hungary, Croatia, Latvia, Italy

ICE DANCE

Australia (Patricia Moritz)
Canada
China (Feng Huang, Yang Fan or Zhang Tianyi)
Estonia (Larissa Shuljatjeva)
Great Britain
Japan (Akiko Kobayashi or Kaoru Takino)
Lithuania (Laimute Krauzine)
New Zealand (Sandra Williamson-Leadley)
Poland
USA
Alternates: Italy, Netherlands, Germany, Austria

* Because of the new rule introduced by 2022 ISU Congress, 10 countries were drawn per discipline. Therefore, 8 judges will serve in both SP and FS while 2 will serve in one segment only. Draws for the each segment is done 45 minutes before the start of SP and FS.

* In each discipline, draw is done by privileging
a) federations with entries in that discipline in previous 4CC education
b) if they are not enough (less than 10), the second draw will be among other 4 Continents federations
c) if they are still not enough (less than 10), European federations who entered the draw are considered in the final draw.

* Federation should submit the names of the judges selected by January 17th (along with deadline for competitors' entries) . I put above the names for countries with a limited number of judges.

* The Alternates will be released 7 days before the start of the Championships if they are not needed (no withdrawal among the 10 selected).

* Kakahstan didn't enter the draw (they have 2 ISU judges). South Korea didn't enter the Ice Dance draw. Taiwan entered only the Women draw even if they have 3 ISU judges (otherwise they would appear before Euro countries in Men and Pair lists).

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

You aren’t being obnoxious. You can bring binoculars. My beloved departed sister bought me some for that reason. Also there will be a Jumbotron.
If you can only get the cheapest seats, I would still go. I have not been to 4CCs. I have been to Worlds and the cheapest seats were very far away. I could have moved down about 20 rows or more because none of those seats were sold. But we moved to handicapped seats after that.
I mean at US Nationals there is hardly anyone there for juniors and I can sit in the first 3 rows. Women’s long program is sold out or close to it so I can’t do that. Pairs short you might be able to. It’s the least popular. Also there are A LOT of skaters at 4CCs. Some people will not get there in time for the early skaters. If you end up in someone else’s seat just apologize profusely and move. You’re not going to get thrown out or anything.
On reselling I have no clue. Surely you can resell them for something? Maybe not the full amount? Don’t buy them unless you’re sure you want to go. And don’t do like I did the first time and buy them all separately. The Ticketmaster fees will eat you alive.

If you are cold natured bring layers. I used to bring gloves, but I had to take them off to clap and then put them back on. This year I bought those disposable handwarmer things and also the smartest idea anyone has ever had - a phone power bank charger/hand warmer.

If you want to throw stuffies you can’t walk down while they are skating, you have to wait until they are done.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Seats on the judges side, but far from the center, can have an obstructed view of elements that are right in front of the judges. I liked sitting on the short end; you have an excellent close-up view of elements at your end and an unobstructed but far-away view of elements at the far end.
I like sitting beside (but not behind) the K&C. In my opinion it’s the best for throwing stuffies.