World, 4CC, Jr. World Teams announced | Page 4 | Golden Skate

World, 4CC, Jr. World Teams announced

gold12345

Medalist
Don't most countries just send their age-eligible skaters to the appropriate events based on their National results? All the US Junior age skaters had their chance to place higher, but they didn't, so why should we be sending them to Junior Worlds? There's no sense in getting skaters Jr Worlds experience if they aren't finishing high nationally anyway. I am fine with letting Caroline, Mirai, and Ashley go if they are prepared.

What is so bad about winning Junior Worlds twice? People have done it, and I doubt Caroline and Adam wouldn't want to go just because they have won already. As for Ashley, she finished very low at Worlds last year, had a bit of a rough Nationals this year, and I'm assuming she'd rather go to Junior Worlds this year than do nothing at all. Junior Worlds is a prestigious event, and I can't see anyone turning it down simply because they think they are "too good" for it.

As for Johnny, I am a little more torn on this issue. Worlds isn't for another two whole months, and a lot can change in two months. It's disappointing that one rough competition could knock someone like Johnny off the World team this far in advance from Worlds. At least they made him first alternate, but still...

The USFS always follows National results, probably to make things seem as fair as possible. But I really wish they would sometimes take into consideration that one competition should not be the be all and end all. Sometimes you should be going with the skaters who have the best potential to place well at Worlds. Maybe if Nationals was closer to Worlds, I wouldn't feel so bad about Johnny not making it.

Last edited:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Well, Caroline is already getting a shot at getting ISU championship points with 4CC. If that is so important to the USFS, send Wagner to 4CC instead of Alissa or Rachael.

Maybe Rachael, but the USFSA is NOT going to let Alissa out of 4CC if they can possibly avoid it. They will nail her in a wooden crate and ship her to Vancouver if they have to. They desperately want to make sure the international judges see the grace, beauty and elegance of Alissa's 3-triple program.

gold12345

Medalist
Maybe Rachael, but the USFSA is NOT going to let Alissa out of 4CC if they can possibly avoid it. They will nail her in a wooden crate and ship her to Vancouver if they have to. They desperately want to make sure the international judges see the grace, beauty and elegance of Alissa's 3-triple program.

Yeah, I am happy for Alissa, but she just doesn't have the technical content or consistency for us to really rely on her to have a great result at Worlds. I'd be pretty surprised if she beats Rachael anywhere internationally, and I can't see her medaling, but I guess it's possible. It's not like Joannie always skates lights out or anything.

oleada

Record Breaker
Don't most countries just send their age-eligible skaters to the appropriate events based on their National results? All the US Junior age skaters had their chance to place higher, but they didn't, so why should we be sending them to Junior Worlds? There's no sense in getting skaters Jr Worlds experience if they aren't finishing high nationally anyway. I am fine with letting Caroline, Mirai, and Ashley go if they are prepared.

It depends on the country. Some, like Germany & Finland, do it according to highest scores posted by their Junior skaters, or cumulative results during the JGP season and Junior Nationals. Other countries, like Russia, hold separate Senior nationals, which determine the European team, and Junior Nationals, which determine the Junior Worlds team.

What's the problem? The problem is that it's sand-bagging. Junior Worlds is a competition for Junior skaters, which Nagasu, Zhang, Wagner & Rippon are not. They have competed on the Senior Grand Prix and medaled. It's not fair to the US skaters who did well on the JGP (Gilles, Maxwell, etc) and have worked toward going to Junior Worlds all season. It's not like these girls did poorly at Nationals- Maxwell landed 6 triples and Gilles landed 5. Neither got dinged for UR in their free skates. They're also well regarded internationally and could win the gold, too. It's also not fair to the international girls competing at junior worlds who will now have to face skaters who are basically seniors. IMO, it's also short sighted because you are not giving these young skaters the international experience they deserve.

I could understand last year, since Zhang, Nagasu & Flatt weren't age eligible for senior worlds, but this year, it's a very stupid decision. I hope they withdraw.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
How sad for Wagner, to go from Sr. Worlds one year to Jr. the next. Hope she kicks butt and takes names.

Well, given how she bombed the SP and kicked butt in the LP, this is the best result she could have hoped for. Granted, it might be considered a "step back" but she can turn it into a learning experience and grow from it. She seems willing and able to do it. I was very proud of her for fighting back.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
ITA. I mean how weird will it be for Ashley? She hasn't skated on the junior level in two years, has made remarkable progress in the overall quality of her skating and truly skates like a senior lady. In no way should she be going to Jr Worlds. And Adam already won Jr Worlds, I don't think he'd want to go back.

Why not give spots to oh, say....Gilles, Musademba, Maxwell...even Bereswill.

While I understand why folks don't like Ashely's situation, you must keep in mind that Jr's are not so much about skating level/talent but AGE! This kind of back-and-forth (Jr to Sr. to Jr.) is a result of the baby ballerina issue...kids testing up too fast for there age. Though oddly enough, Wagner skates the least list he baby ballerina's.

I'm still trying to figure out what happened to Keegan Messing...how did he not make Jr. Worlds?

And Johnny? No 4C's?

dwiggin3

Final Flight

I disagree.

I would have Alyssa keep 4C's, she needs the competitive practice. Have Rachel drop it and put Ashely.

Rachel is consistent and I'm not certain 4C's will do anything for her. I'd rather her stay home and train her programs for worlds...esp. her posture, which I noticed for the first time was really bad...pull those shoulders back girl!!!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, I am happy for Alissa, but she just doesn't have the technical content or consistency for us to really rely on her to have a great result at Worlds. I'd be pretty surprised if she beats Rachael anywhere internationally, and I can't see her medaling, but I guess it's possible. It's not like Joannie always skates lights out or anything.

Joannie may not "always skate lights out", but in all honesty, who of the international ladies do "always"? Not one of them from what I've been seeing lately. What Joannie does do so well is plan a 7 triple LP and very regularly completes 6 of those 7 triples well with full rotations and correct edges. Alissa only plans a 5 triple LP and twice now in important competitions (Cup of Russia and US Nationals), she has only done 3 of those 5 triples well. The SPs will be very telling in how all of these international ladies do at the upcoming 4CC and at Worlds. They have to be clean and at their bests in that phase and skate a solid LP in order to medal.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I think you are all forgetting that none of the skaters have to accept these assignments. They can say "no" & stay at home, heal their injuries or hurt egos or just get some much needed rest & training time.

chnfs

Match Penalty
Do Jr. world champions get bonuses handed out by ISU? Maybe these girls do need some financial aid to skate at Jr. worlds, especially in times of recession.

fairly4

Medalist
I can't see anything wrong with naming,Caroline, Ashleyand Mirai for JW's.
What is wrong withCaroline trying to win a second one.Has it been done before,let alone another possible US sweep. Has itbeen done 3 years in a row.
More power tothem.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
They'll all do it for the ISU ranking going into the Olympic year. In a non preOlympic year, if there were no money in it, I can see some of them not going. This year, I expect suddenly that Karl Schafer, Nebelhorn and Finlandia will all have top US skaters going to get some of those 'other competition' points that they are now leaving on the table.

LeCygne

Final Flight
no. brandon is a great skater. we'll see. save the best for later (olympics...)

I didn't say he wasn't a great skater, I just don't feel like he has the experience to do better than even a sick Johnny at Worlds. He had one amazing skate at Nationals, but Worlds is a whole different ball game. And it's not like USFSA is counting on the third man to secure 3 spots for the Olympics or anything (that'll most likely fall on Abbott/Lysacek), so why not let Johnny go, even if he isn't in top shape?

And about Ashley getting left off 4CC, I think first of all, USFSA is just doing what's logical. They have two Worlds spots, so the top two go. They have three 4CC spots, so the top three go. Second of all, unlike Caroline or Rachael, Ashley already has major ISU championship experience. So she didn't do well at Worlds last year, but at least she went. No matter how she fought back in the LP, which I still think should not have won, with her bombed SP at Nationals, she demonstrated that she is not rock solid and is capable of major, placement-threatening mistakes that the US simply can't afford right now.

Regarding ISU ranking or next season's GP, because it'll be the Olympic season, a lot of skaters will probably opt out of the GP or at least do fewer events to save themselves for later in the season anyway. I don't think Ashley or Caroline will feel obligated to do Junior Worlds just because of ranking or GP assignments. They both medaled at Nationals anyway, so they're pretty much guaranteed 2 GP assignments next season. Personally, I think Caroline will skip Junior Worlds and just do 4CC. She does need the extra time to prepare for next season, but Ashley I'm not sure about. I'm sure she won't be happy to go back to the Junior stage, but I also don't think she'll want to end her season right away, on this semi-low note.

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
Good job, Alissy & Rachel. Do your best at worlds.
Great job Jeremy--Also Thank you very much for being honest.We all get nervous before big performances.Thank you for admiting it.You conquered itand the butterflies.
I think the US did a good job in picking the world team.Alissy did better than I thought. She will have to practice and dobetter at worlds.
Rachel you have potential tobe in top 10 and maybe top 6.Keep improving all US skaters.Do well and fight for it.

Thanks.

R.D.

Record Breaker
No matter how she fought back in the LP, which I still think should not have won, with her bombed SP at Nationals, she demonstrated that she is not rock solid and is capable of major, placement-threatening mistakes that the US simply can't afford right now.

With the exception of Rachel, NO US lady can be called consistent. Caroline Zhang comes the closest, but she's got other issues that are holding her back from doing really well in major championships. I think even if Rachel won Nats, the world team would still be the same (the top 2).

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Another thing is that the USFSA likes the publicity. When the girls swept the podiums ( podia? ) the last 2 years, it made the mainstream sports pages. And there is money involved for winning. So the girls with the best shot at the Olympics need to stay well funded.

ChrisH

On the Ice
For the ladies, the only selections that aren't strictly based on this year's Nationals are for the WJC. If the scores are all within 0.03 points of one another, then the selectors can consider other factors. ;) I would've selected Angela ahead of Brittney.

2009 World Junior Championships

Mirai Nagasu
Ashley Wagner
Caroline Zhang

Alternate 1 – Katrina Hacker
Alternate 2 – Alexe Gilles
Alternate 3 – Brittney Rizo
Alternate 4 – Angela Maxwell

2009 Nationals

3 Caroline Zhang All Year FSC 171.08
4 Ashley Wagner SC of Wilmington 165.33
5 Mirai Nagasu Pasadena FSC 159.99