Kim's representatives end Orser's coaching relationship threads merged | Page 62 | Golden Skate

Kim's representatives end Orser's coaching relationship threads merged

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
I'm sorry, nationalism is the pillar of all Olympic sports. Fans don't make judgings and rules. The interests of ISU member federations decide them. The BEST athletes can adapt to any rules. We'll see that...

I don't think it really matter what nationality the athlete is...if you can perform like Yuna in Vancouver or Lilia in Atlanta 1996.
I was lucky enough to record her perfomance from TV and ... watched it until the video tape worn out.(There was no internet)

Unfortunately... Lilia couldn't repeat the level of the performance after the olympic game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LXErjoDojE

Do you mean Lilia P., who won the Gymnastics all-around gold? She certainly sparkled. I felt the same reaction to Nastia Liukin in 2008, and Gutsu in--now I can't remember; it had to be 1992, the last year of the Unified Team. You're right. Achievements like that stand out no matter where the athlete comes from. I'm old enough to remember Nadia Comaneci in the Montreal Games, and I was ready to swear that the kid could defy gravity.

Skating's the same. Competitors like Gordeyeva/Grinkov, John Curry, Torvill/Dean, and others made us all citizens of the world as we watched. It's what we share as skate fans. Of course one feels patriotic about a champion from one's own country, but there's room for "dual citizenship" in the heart of every fan.

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
Do you mean Lilia P., who won the Gymnastics all-around gold? She certainly sparkled. I felt the same reaction to Nastia Liukin in 2008, and Gutsu in--now I can't remember; it had to be 1992, the last year of the Unified Team. You're right. Achievements like that stand out no matter where the athlete comes from. I'm old enough to remember Nadia Comaneci in the Montreal Games, and I was ready to swear that the kid could defy gravity.

Skating's the same. Competitors like Gordeyeva/Grinkov, John Curry, Torvill/Dean, and others made us all citizens of the world as we watched. It's what we share as skate fans. Of course one feels patriotic about a champion from one's own country, but there's room for "dual citizenship" in the heart of every fan.

You are right.
Nadia is another outstanding athlete who was globally admired regardless of nationality.
There was no video recorder available...I couldn't record her performance.

janetfan

Match Penalty
she could have won the beam as well...not to arguement anyway
She got injured after Olympics until she retired, it is not like she lost steam
She and Moceanu were my favs of these Olympics.

argument.... :)
Nobody was going to beat Shannon on the balance beam in '96. She was the best and steady as a rock. :rock:

But I remember you know more about this than I do - so I will use the old "patriotism" excuse. ;)

Shannon is still the best gymnast ever produced by the USA.

http://shannonmiller.com/shannon-miller.php

R.D.

Record Breaker
wow wow...now we're talking about gymnastics? :unsure:

Maybe this thread really HAS run its course...:sheesh:

NMURA

Medalist
True, but I do not see how this supports your contention that "most partiotic Americans must be happy" about it. "Most patriotic Americans" are not ISU member federations.

I'm sure the most patriotic Americans can share the interests with their federation who cares nothing but medals and placements of the American athletes.

I don't say American ladies have a free pass to a world medal without Kim. But the chance will increase dramatically. When you are in weaker positions, facing lesser rivals is more desirable than "best competitions".

seniorita

Record Breaker
argument.... :)
Nobody was going to beat Shannon on the balance beam in '96. She was the best and steady as a rock.
But I remember you know more about this than I do - so I will use the old "patriotism" excuse. ;)
Shannon is still the best gymnast ever produced by the USA.

http://shannonmiller.com/shannon-miller.php

No argument because it would be like Lysacek vs Plushenko kind of thing:laugh: But yes, she was a GREAT gymnast and actually I would give her the gold in 92 instead of Gutsu:)

sorry for offtopic,
Go Yuna!!!

Daniel5555

On the Ice
seniorita
yeah , that was my problem too and so I still didnt get what kind Orser coaches, with ugly sideburns or not? 3 negatives is a negative?
Yes. He coaches people with no ugly something.
But it was rather poor joke, yeah... Besides her sideburns are not ugly at all when they are presented.

R.D.
I'll admit to some patriotism regarding my interest in skating. I want, and always have wanted, to see the American ladies do well, and now that the American ladies are no longer the best in the world, the highlight event of the season for me is no longer Worlds but US Nationals.
Then what you have to do, is become a fan of some of those amazing ladies. Then the Worlds event will be EXCITING. And you also will realise that personal affection > patriotism :)

Nadia01

Final Flight
Yuna and ATS were inexperienced in dealing with this type of matter. But arrogant? Hardly.

ATS is a new company that has been in existence for less than 6 months. I think people need to realize that and give them a break. They were not yet equipped to deal with this kind of media play.

As for Yuna, I ask you, what would YOU do if someone was bad-mouthing your MOTHER publicly? Yeah, I thought so. I admire Yuna for her character as much as for her beautiful skating.
Then perhaps ATS shouldn't be managing Yuna's career in the 1st place.

Canastatango

Yeah... Except that Yuna didn't even say a word "Japanese". But Japanese side was so classy making a scandal out of it and demanding explanations :)))

Actually...you're wrong about that. The Japanese did NOT make a big deal out of it for no reason.

Yuna didn't say Japanese, but the Korean channel DID. That's why it was a big deal in Japan, because they were really angry at the accusation. The skating federation officials here told skaters to act properly so that this kind of rumors don't start anymore.

The Korean news issued an apology to Yuna for the trouble, but they never said sorry to Japanese skaters.

She was my favorite in the 90's! Elegant being, loved her face too.

Shannon Miller was my favorite too.

Last edited by a moderator:

seniorita

Record Breaker
seniorita

Yes. He coaches people with no ugly something.
But it was rather poor joke, yeah... Besides her sideburns are not ugly at all when they are presented.
no I think the joke was hilarious:biggrin:, just that my english failed me:cool:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I'll admit to some patriotism regarding my interest in skating. I want, and always have wanted, to see the American ladies do well, and now that the American ladies are no longer the best in the world, the highlight event of the season for me is no longer Worlds but US Nationals.

I used to make a joke that I was only interested in the ladies until Evan made the sport more manly. But actually, if you are patriotic, the U.S. men have really given us something to cheer for. Jeremy was the first U.S. senior Grand Prix champion ever. Evan was GP, World and Olympic champion. If the ladies have faltered, the men have stepped up.

R.D.

Record Breaker
But actually, if you are patriotic, the U.S. men have really given us something to cheer for. Jeremy was the first U.S. senior Grand Prix champion ever. Evan was GP, World and Olympic champion. If the ladies have faltered, the men have stepped up.

That's true.

Too bad that I just plain don't like men's skating though. Although I did catch the tail end of the Olympics to see if Lysacek would win. (ETA: for perspective, I completely ignored the 2006 Olympic men's event, so yes, this was purely for patriotic reasons)

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I used to make a joke that I was only interested in the ladies until Evan made the sport more manly. But actually, if you are patriotic, the U.S. men have really given us something to cheer for. Jeremy was the first U.S. senior Grand Prix champion ever. Evan was GP, World and Olympic champion. If the ladies have faltered, the men have stepped up.

Good point - but let's not forget B/A and D/W. They have done alot to make Ice Dancing more popular in the USA.
Things do go in cycles. Remember there was a 16 year break between Dorothy's OGM in '76 and Kristy in '92.

Here is a moment I remember and I wonder when or even IF we will ever see this again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwvqSoNLoqM

Thankyou Randy and Tai and thankyou Mr Nicks :clap:

and yes - I was a very big Tai fanboy :love:

Last edited:

Daniel5555

On the Ice
Nadia01
Actually...you're wrong about that. The Japanese did NOT make a big deal out of it for no reason.

Yuna didn't say Japanese, but the Korean channel DID. That's why it was a big deal in Japan, because they were really angry at the accusation. The skating federation officials here told skaters to act properly so that this kind of rumors don't start anymore.

The Korean news issued an apology to Yuna for the trouble, but they never said sorry to Japanese skaters.
You are right. I wrote without much consideration that phrase about Japanese... The mess started SBS and then was supported a bit by some Japanese media (that's what I was referring to), but it's true that they were the ones who calmed down pretty soon too.
Thank you for making corrections.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Then perhaps ATS shouldn't be managing Yuna's career in the 1st place.

Shannon Miller was my favorite too.

ATS managing Yuna's career - for better or for worse - atleast makes some sense.

But what about Min Jung?

I suspect ATS will have to take good care of MJ or even fans back in Korea will get upset with them.
Afterall, MJ is Korea's #1 skater participating in the Grand Prix this season. To send her home without a coach or resources to compete at her best this season would not reflect well on the the Kim camp. I feel sure they will treat MJ well.

And yes, Shannon was for me in gymnastics what Michelle was to skating.
Simply the best of her era!

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Michelle was worldwide the best of her era and her era was long, Miller had enough equal rivals outside USA that changed from one Olys to the other ;) I say Mary Lou was the best of her era!

Last edited: