Missing The Veterans | Golden Skate

Missing The Veterans

minze

Medalist
I am excited for the future and new generation. But for some reason I miss the old guard: Akiko, Carolina, Yuna Kim and Mao. It was exciting to wait for their programs, music, customs and grace in the ice. Thank God for YouTube videos😃

Alba

Record Breaker
With all due respect and love for them I'm not, tbh. But there is always youtube, as you said.
The new girls are so many, so young and so talented that I can't wait to see them grow.
I'm so excited that I can't wait. :yay:

minze

Medalist
With all due respect and love for them I'm not, tbh. But there is always youtube, as you said.
The new girls are so many, so young and so talented that I can't wait to see them grow.
I'm so excited that I can't wait. :yay:

Just my humble opinion. Nothing bad against the new generation. Old habits... It takes time to adjust. I am still watching and support the sport😚

Alba

Record Breaker
Just my humble opinion. Nothing bad against the new generation. Old habits... It takes time to adjust. I am still watching and support the sport😚

It was not a criticism towards your post. I fully understand you. Just expressing my opinion on the argument. :)
I usually do tend to miss the veterans too. In fact, I miss them in Ice Dance, because there isn't a couple that I can say WOW, yet.
The girls though it's different for me.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I am excited for the future and new generation. But for some reason I miss the old guard: Akiko, Carolina, Yuna Kim and Mao. It was exciting to wait for their programs, music, customs and grace in the ice. Thank God for YouTube videos😃

I always go through a missing withdrawal when there is a changing of the guard, especially this season with Dai-chan's retirement. But here I am still watching,
appreciating and loving the sport of skating 20 plus years later. :)

minze

Medalist
It was not a criticism towards your post. I fully understand you. Just expressing my opinion on the argument. :)
I usually do tend to miss the veterans too. In fact, I miss them in Ice Dance, because there isn't a couple that I can say WOW, yet.
The girls though it's different for me.

No worries did not take as criticism. I undarstand 😃

minze

Medalist
I always go through a missing withdrawal when there is a changing of the guard, especially this season with Dai-chan's retirement. But here I am still watching,
appreciating and loving the sport of skating 20 plus years later. :)

Yes.. And that is the beauty of this forum. A lot people here love the sport and not just one skater. To be honest I started following the sport because of one skater, but now I love the sport and respect the skaters.😍

Alba

Record Breaker
Talking about missing withdrawal though. I still miss Kwan, Kulik and Yagudin. :slink: :biggrin:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Whether I miss the veterans (of any discipline) depends on how well the "new" skaters do on that given day. If they all skate well, I just enjoy the ride and cheer for them. If it's a splatfest, I can't help but go, "Oh, gosh, I wish X or Y were here to save the day!"

chasingpolaris

On the Ice
I feel the same way. Got so used to hearing their names being announced and hearing the cheers for them, especially Dai and Mao in Japan. But I am also excited to see how the new generation will turn out and what they will bring to the table.

noskates

Record Breaker
I would have to agree with missing Kwan and Yagudin, and Ilia was so unique! But the most current crop of retirees? Not so much. I always loved watching Mao and Yuna skate but Carolina....eh! Never understood what the hype was all about. But I truly think it was time for a changing of the guard and I'm looking forward to this next generation of skaters.

We all have our favorites! And those skaters who are no longer competing gave us a lot of enjoyment.

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
I would have to agree with missing Kwan and Yagudin, and Ilia was so unique! But the most current crop of retirees? Not so much. I always loved watching Mao and Yuna skate but Carolina....eh! Never understood what the hype was all about. But I truly think it was time for a changing of the guard and I'm looking forward to this next generation of skaters.

We all have our favorites! And those skaters who are no longer competing gave us a lot of enjoyment.
The same opinion about Carolina. I know that I will miss Daisuke, S/S, P/T in this new season. And, maybe this is weird but I miss Takahashi/Tran...They weren't veterans, but still. Everytime when the commentator says Narumi Takahashi I still somehow wait for Mervin Tran, and even I know they don't skate together anymore I'm kinda surprised when I hear Ryuchi Kihara. And from the old guard I miss Sasha Cohen and Stephane Lambiel.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

So true. Before this there would have been I so miss Sasha, Slutskaya, Kwan and before that Lipinsiki and Butyrskaya and before that Baiul, Sato and Kerrigan and before that Yamaguchi and Ito and before that Witt, Thomas and Manley - life does go on. It is the life cycle I guess.

caelum

On the Ice
I'll miss them also, but this cycle always happens. The old guard leaves, everyone is a little sad, but then the up-and-comers eventually polish themselves up and we find someone new to enjoy.

AlexThere

On the Ice

Same! Carolina is adorable but never understood and enjoyed her skating.

Skategmt

On the Ice

This is my exact thought!

minze

Medalist
Carolina is a special skater JMO. She never gives up on a program. Her skating is just beautiful