Missing The Veterans | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Missing The Veterans

RABID

Final Flight
There are a few skaters I miss - others I breathe a sigh of relief when they finally go away (some of whom have been mentioned in this thread, lol). Most of my favorites who retired are just as visible as ever doing shows. The ones I really miss are the ones that never became stars, never won much, but were very interesting skaters nonetheless, and just sort of fade into oblivion. :no:

Nice. :agree: :cry: :agree:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I do miss them but I'm not missing them as much as I figured I would. I think it's b/c I'm really excited about this newer crop of skaters. There's so much talent in the field (and even more on the way). I think I'm most excited about seeing what they'll look like in a few years...

I just remember seeing Mao and Yu-Na go from gangly little girls to elegant and graceful young women. Watching Mao go from this to this, and Yu-Na from this to this...I got to witness their journey firsthand. I love that:love:. I loved watching Akiko find herself and become a contender, and I can't believe I went from hating Carolina's guts in 2008 to flat-out adoring her by 2012. :laugh:

I do miss the polish, maturity and unique style those main veterans brought to the sport. These newer girls are a little rough around the edges and aren't close to being soup yet, but I'm excited to watch them develop and mature.

MizukiS

Rinkside
I do miss the polish, maturity and unique style those main veterans brought to the sport. These newer girls are a little rough around the edges and aren't close to being soup yet, but I'm excited to watch them develop and mature.

This I agree. The new girls are landing their jumps but the polish & quality in skating are still not there - some are even awkward that I find myself cringing at times. I'm not yet captivated but I applaud their efforts especially their determination & competitiveness as such young age.

The thing about Yuna and Mao, I've never thought of them as little girls when I'm watching their senior debut vids. The quality they brought on their first season surprised me. They were not polished as a whole back then but their jumping quality really stood out. For me, they're already landing them with elegance and gracefulness and I'm always partial to skaters with great jumping qualities. That's why when they achieved the maturity that comes with age and combined it with their natural talents, they became the greatest in their era. I'm sad to see them retire but glad that they left an indelible mark in figure skating.

It's still too early to tell who will become the next big stars of this new quad but I too am excited to watch out for it. I may not be as engaged as before but at least now I can just sit back & relax while these new skaters bring out their best on the ice.

lady_bee

Medalist
I just remember seeing Mao and Yu-Na go from gangly little girls to elegant and graceful young women. Watching Mao go from this to this, and Yu-Na from this to this...I got to witness their journey firsthand. I love that:love:. I loved watching Akiko find herself and become a contender, and I can't believe I went from hating Carolina's guts in 2008 to flat-out adoring her by 2012. :laugh:

Yes, it was the great privilege for me to watch their journey, and I am really missing them.

On the other hand, without having strong favorites, I can enjoy ladies' event with peace in my mind.
I am watching their performances with beer & :popcorn:, which I've never did when Mao or Akiko was there.
That's not bad.

anyanka

Record Breaker
We seem to be in a period where a lot of the faves over not just one but the last two quads are no longer competing, or on a break. These include (but not limited to): Mao, Yuna, Caro, Miki, Nobu, Daisuke, V/M, D/W, P/T, S/S, Chan, Joubert, Akiko ... these were some of the dominant names of the times. Not to mention Plushy, who still wants to go to 2018. We're in a rebuilding period.

Let's not get too dramatic though. In 2006 we saw the emergence of several of these names: Mao and Yuna took their junior rivalry to the senior stage (as did V/M and D/W), Daisuke and Miki became world champions, Joubert became more of a podium fixture ... we're simply readjusting to missing our faves and unsure of who will take over the competitive landscape.

Will now re-watch Dai's 2010 worlds FS again ... :cry:

anyanka

Record Breaker
Yes, it was the great privilege for me to watch their journey, and I am really missing them.

On the other hand, without having strong favorites, I can enjoy ladies' event with peace in my mind.
I am watching their performances with beer & :popcorn:, which I've never did when Mao or Akiko was there.
That's not bad.

That's true! Watching the last two Olympics I could NOT eat until after the free skates. My stomach was in knots. You have no hungry I was immediately after Yuna completed the competition in Sochi, I was so nervous! :laugh:

lavender

Record Breaker
We seem to be in a period where a lot of the faves over not just one but the last two quads are no longer competing, or on a break. These include (but not limited to): Mao, Yuna, Caro, Miki, Nobu, Daisuke, V/M, D/W, P/T, S/S, Chan, Joubert, Akiko ... these were some of the dominant names of the times. Not to mention Plushy, who still wants to go to 2018. We're in a rebuilding period.

Let's not get too dramatic though. In 2006 we saw the emergence of several of these names: Mao and Yuna took their junior rivalry to the senior stage (as did V/M and D/W), Daisuke and Miki became world champions, Joubert became more of a podium fixture ... we're simply readjusting to missing our faves and unsure of who will take over the competitive landscape.

Will now re-watch Dai's 2010 worlds FS again ... :cry:

Besides the ones I previously mention...now I'm thinking about more skaters who are gone like Miki, Akiko, D/W, Verner. It's even worst than I thought..
Did Gao retire?

Now these days I'm not necessarily interested in the whole competition. I just want to see the journey of Miyahara, Karen Chen, Jason, Alexander Johnson, Joshua Farris, Adam and the top 2 ice dance teams.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Besides the ones I previously mention...now I'm thinking about more skaters who are gone like Miki, Akiko, D/W, Verner. It's even worst than I thought..
Did Gao retire?

Now these days I'm not necessarily interested in the whole competition. I just want to see the journey of Miyahara, Karen Chen, Jason, Alexander Johnson, Joshua Farris, Adam and the top 2 ice dance teams.

And the Russian ladies, too. That will be one delicious rivalry (although far different from the DRAMA their ice dancers played out in the early 90s, heh).

Unsure if Gao retired, but if she does, she's still at Harvard University and doing quite well for herself. She's the one American lady I rooted hard for to get to Sochi (sorry Mirai) and who just never quite got it all together in the right place at the right time.

lavender

Record Breaker
And the Russian ladies, too. That will be one delicious rivalry (although far different from the DRAMA their ice dancers played out in the early 90s, heh).

Unsure if Gao retired, but if she does, she's still at Harvard University and doing quite well for herself. She's the one American lady I rooted hard for to get to Sochi (sorry Mirai) and who just never quite got it all together in the right place at the right time.

I can't get into any of the Russian ladies outfits or programs. Although I'm sure the ladies will win pretty much every competition. Haven't seen the men from SA yet.

minze

Medalist
I can't get into any of the Russian ladies outfits or programs. Although I'm sure the ladies will win pretty much every competition. Haven't seen the men from SA yet.

Of the Russian girls I think Yulia has the best package

iceberg

On the Ice
^ I think for me I appreciate more the artistry of Anna Pogo. I just love her programs so much especially the firebird. Still just needs more refinement on her postures but over-all she's my favorite out of the russian girls.

Back OT, i too am still going through separation anxiety with the Mao-Yuna era. It was an exemplary era of figure skating indeed.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think skaters like Gao need to take a good look why they are still skating. She's a full time student at Havard and COC was a disaster. I don't see her ever improving and becoming a contender ever again.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I personally miss alot of ice dance teams this season, especially Tessa and Scott, Nathalie and Fabian and my home country favourites, Dani and Greg.

Thank Goodness Gabriella and Guillaume have saved ice dance for me this season. They will be world champions one day.

gotoschool

Medalist
What I have noticed that is really unusual and unexpected is that for me Mao's absence has left such a huge void that I seem to be eagerly looking for anyone or any quality in a skater that can fill it, so that I like more skaters and programs than ever before, from Evgenia Medvedeva, Wakaba Higuchi, Maria Sotskova and Karen Chen in Juniors to Satoko Miyahara, Seoyun Park and Liza's Cup of China LP, only they don't hit me as deeply. So, that when I watch Mao's old programs again, I feel the emptiness creep back in. But, then the cycle of anticipation starts all over again because these skaters / programs I mentioned are more exciting than I thought they would be.

minze

Medalist
What I have noticed that is really unusual and unexpected is that for me Mao's absence has left such a huge void that I seem to be eagerly looking for anyone or any quality in a skater that can fill it, so that I like more skaters and programs than ever before, from Evgenia Medvedeva, Wakaba Higuchi and Maria Sotskova in Juniors to Satoko Miyahara, Seoyun Park and Liza's Cup of China LP, only they don't hit me as deeply. So, that when I watch Mao's old programs again, I feel the emptiness creep back in. But, then the cycle of anticipation starts all over again because these skaters / programs I mentioned are more exciting than I thought they would be.

I hear you my friends and family think I am crazy because I watch Mao's nocturne back to back. I watch other skaters but feel the emptiness. But I am excited about new skaters

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I personally miss alot of ice dance teams this season, especially Tessa and Scott, Nathalie and Fabian and my home country favourites, Dani and Greg.

Thank Goodness Gabriella and Guillaume have saved ice dance for me this season. They will be world champions one day.

They may be even world champs this or next year - timing is perfect. The world champs are not looking good, W andP are known for errors, the Russiasn are a mess and very inexpereinced as a team and their one experienced team appears to be perpetually married like two former Russian teams who left injured (Krylov and Oksianikov and B and S).

ahy

Final Flight
That's true! Watching the last two Olympics I could NOT eat until after the free skates. My stomach was in knots. You have no hungry I was immediately after Yuna completed the competition in Sochi, I was so nervous! :laugh:

Same here lmao