Other Interesting Data to Consider at Worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Other Interesting Data to Consider at Worlds

berrycute

On the Ice
The US didn't have 3 Olympic spots for Ladies in 1994; Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding went; if there had been a third spot, Michelle Kwan would have been able to go.

That's right! Isn't that because Nancy didn't do so well at Worlds 1993 in Prague?

It's too early to discuss the Olys, and in particular the presumed retirees after the Olys win or lose. The Ladies are fairly young, but Evan, Johnny, Jeremy, are questionable about giving it another go in 2014. The Pairs would be I/B. The Dancers in question would be B/A. There are several European skaters, too, but in the last analyses, it is up to the individual skaters and couples to decide on whether or not to try for 2014. I can respect that.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I would have thought the French federation will be biting their nails to see what Ponsero does at worlds since they will be looking to try to get three men for the Olympics.

And about dance for the french? I don't follow dance very much but i think Delobel&Schoenfelder aren't competing- do they still have a good chance at getting three spots for the Olympics?

Particle Man said:
Also, the US has by far the most ladies fighting for top spots, so the spots matter even more.

I don't think the the US has by far the most ladies fighting for top spots, I'd say Japan has at least the same if not more.

Ant

Buttercup

Record Breaker
And about dance for the french? I don't follow dance very much but i think Delobel&Schoenfelder aren't competing- do they still have a good chance at getting three spots for the Olympics?
Del/Schoe withdrew last week. She's still doing rehab. Without them the odds of the French team getting three spots for the Olympics are pretty small. I think P/B are wonderful, but the judges don't seem to share my sentiments to the same extent; C/J are unlikely to go above 9th place, and even that would be difficult. I guess there's still a chance, but in all likelihood there will be two French teams in Vancouver.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
I don't think the the US has by far the most ladies fighting for top spots, I'd say Japan has at least the same if not more.

I doubt Japan has MORE, especially if Sasha Cohen comes back. Also, Japan is getting 3 spots. We're probably getting 2.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
The US didn't have 3 Olympic spots for Ladies in 1994; Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding went; if there had been a third spot, Michelle Kwan would have been able to go.

I never thought of that. I doubt that she would have won, but she was capable of a medal.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
is it truly only team USA that has "everything" on the line?

They have our ability to see skating on television on the line. If LA does not yield a good setup for the Olympic coverage, NBC will even drop showing the Ladies and Worlds (all they are showing this year), and you can whistle for US Nationals coverage in 2011.

So despite that I really don't follow the ladies very closely, I want to see US ladies place high-if there's no buzz about them, there's likely to be even more pitiful coverage of skating in the future.

I would be surprised if I were the only fan that felt that way.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
They have our ability to see skating on television on the line. If LA does not yield a good setup for the Olympic coverage, NBC will even drop showing the Ladies and Worlds (all they are showing this year), and you can whistle for US Nationals coverage in 2011.

Excellent point. Even if we as die-hard skating fans will still care, the coverage and viewership will keep getting hammered and sliding into the abyss if we keep having lackluster showings or lose spots. US TV will have showed what, just Nationals, Worlds and a few ice shows this year? The US audience sadly doesn't care about skating if we don't dominate, or at least have a phenom. Maybe that's the fault of the poor taste of the masses, but the US ladies skaters don't deserve to pay the price for it.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I never thought of that. I doubt that she would have won, but she was capable of a medal.

You seriously think 13 year old Michelle Kwan had a shot at an Olympic medal in 1994? She had never competed at senior Worlds prior to February 1994 and she hadn't even won her Junior World title of the same year yet before the start of the Olympic Games. Even when she did compete at senior Worlds in March of 1994 as the 1994 Junior World Champion without Oksana (1st O.G.), Nancy (2nd O.G.), Chen Lu (3rd O.G.), Katarina (7th O.G.), and Tonya (8th O.G.) present, Michelle placed 11th in the SP and finished 8th overall. Michelle would not have had the reputation with the judges to possibly medal at an Olympic Games at that point in her career.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's right! Isn't that because Nancy didn't do so well at Worlds 1993 in Prague?

Yes, it's the World Championship where she uttered the historic words "I just want to die" in the kiss and cry when she plummeted to 9th place in the LP after winning the SP, and finishing 5th overall.

Since a network is interested in sponsors it can secure (which is its business) for televising a sports show, it will be interesting to see what sponsors NBC will come up with.

Most ardent fans of figure skating tend to want it on TV and free of charge Not quite the American Way..

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If my television viewing is supposed to be free of charge, then I desperately want to know why I pay a $50 satellite tv bill every month? :think:

Huh?? ""Free" programs on network television are unamerican? :rofl:
Yes, it's true, I am not the clearest writer, so I'll explain it to you. The point of the post was: without sponsors, there will be no free tv.. That is the Americn Way, No? Now you tell me, who will fit the bill for you without sponsors? I want to know that too. :rolleye:

antmanb

Record Breaker
I doubt Japan has MORE, especially if Sasha Cohen comes back. Also, Japan is getting 3 spots. We're probably getting 2.

Which says everything it needs to about the depth of the ladies in each of those countries. Japan has ladies sitting at home who have made the top 5 at worlds, unable to go to worlds despite having one more spot than the US.

Ant