Compulsory Dance | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Compulsory Dance

alithia

Final Flight
I'd have D/S, B/A D/W in top 3 but I was sure V/M would be in the middle.D/W were a surprise for me in a dance I thought that doesn't suit them and I think the judges were also surprised and didn't know where exactly to place them.
K/N were too mediocre, they were and always are sloppy for me, not what I want to see from the top russian team skating level wise,I was happy to see P/B infront of F/S this time.

lcd

Match Penalty
You are counting way too early the ducks, lots of movements can happen. Even Carron / Jost are not secure in 9th, because they haven't fared as well with their FD like they do with the CD. Also Cap / Lan can make a move up.
Great debut for Cro / Poi for sure, they did very well.

Oh for sure, with only 20% of the competition over it is way too early to "count ducks". Note that I had said "... so far" but at each stage, the results as they unfold DO set the table for what moves would need to occur for the federations to reach their desired goals. And again, there are in each countries' instance, skaters waiting/watching at home with crossed fingers, "rooting" with self-interest... for their domestic rivals.

Fashionista

On the Ice
Yeah, they were really good. To me, D/S and B/A were the clear top two. Domnina in particular was great. K/N - don't know what they were thinking with that paso interpretation.

I'm going to disagree with the crowd and say that V/M were overscored. Lots of snow flying about, the pattern seemed inconsistent, lots of unison breaks. I wouldn't use the word fast - more like rushed and sloppy.

Absolutely agree. Those who say that D/S or B/A were technically weaker then V/M just don't know dance technic well. This particular dance was won by D/S absolutely fairly cos everything they did was textbook. V/M had a lot of snow in their movements but were very passionate.
K/N and D/W disappointed me. Live Meryl's posture looks even uglier than I expected, it kills all the beauty of their movements. K/N performed something else, not paso. Their acrobatic moves were something weird in this program.

dancemaster

On the Ice
Quote:
We're here to win. We're not happy that we're not winning," said Moir. "We want to be the best at everything," said Virtue, meaning all three events in the dance.

To be behind Americans who are on the comeback trail?

"It does seem a little bit odd," said Moir.----------------------------------------------

It is ok to want to win
At least 4 other couple want to do the same thing
I was under the impression it was Moir and partner who were on the comeback trail
they had most of the season off :biggrin:
what is odd Moir ( and female coach and canadian press)is the fact your are trying to bulling your way to a win
( don t worry Igor Spilband has o'ready taken care of business with Mr. Andrzej DOSTATNI to make sure you get looked after)
the only problem i see is Mr. Andrzej DOSTATNI has two hands.lets see

Last edited:

L'amour

On the Ice
It is ok to want to win
At least 4 other couple want to do the same thing
I was under the impression it was Moir and partner who were on the comeback trail
they had most of the season off
what is odd Moir ( and female coach and canadian press)is the fact your are trying to bulling your way to a win

That was exactly the same thing I thought when I read this

sillylionlove

Medalist
They were followed by Americans Tanith Belbin and Benjamin Agosto, returning from a year out of the sport. They scored 39.65 to sit second.

They were? That's news to me, could have sworn I have seen them in the Grand Prix and they only pulled out of the final when Ben hurt his back. Jeez....when will skaters stop complaining about their placement??? It's getting old and makes me loose a great deal of respect for them.

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
I am actually appalled that V/M were given such high scores. Their dance was really mess, with ice flying about. It felt really sloppy and rushed, felt as though they were always half a second behind the music and trying to catch up. But I liked their stylishness and I think that's what made the difference. Meryl and Charlie did well as well, but it felt somewhat listless/passionless compared to their previous showing at Skate Canada. I think they were holidng back a little, and I agree with the score except I wished it had been in the 38's, a bit closer to V/M than they currently are...

I liked B/A's paso the best, although I have to say I haven't seen D/S's.

Audrey19

On the Ice
:mad: I hate hate HATE biased judging! Seriously, what were they thinking??? Did they watch a different competition than I did? More than 40 points for D&S? Please, that is so obvious bias it hurts! I would have been perfectly glad if B&A or V&M had broken the 40 points mark, since they were truly excellent, but D&S with that tiny tiny pattern and Shabalin grimacing all the time!?
That whole CD judging was so ridiculous, even outrageous! K&N were totally overmarked as well, lackluster and mediocre as Medusa said. Fortunately D&W are ahead of them, but they should have been ahead of D&S as well!
Hopefully they will come to their senses tomorrow and all the skaters get the scores they deserve!:bow:
Go Tanith and Ben!

dancemaster

On the Ice
I am sure the Canadians will qualify 3 teams for Vancouver
The question is will V/M move up or will they move C/P a few more places????:biggrin:

They were followed by Americans Tanith Belbin and Benjamin Agosto, returning from a year out of the sport. They scored 39.65 to sit second.

They were? That's news to me, could have sworn I have seen them in the Grand Prix and they only pulled out of the final when Ben hurt his back. Jeez....when will skaters stop complaining about their placement??? It's getting old and makes me loose a great deal of respect for them.
Either missed informed or plain misleading

Last edited by a moderator:

beep_beep

Medalist
I'm pretty OK with the judging here.

Look at the skaters' feet during the slo-mo replay, it shows the problems and it answers many of the 'what the f..., wuzrobbed !' scores.

The name of the game on the paso is precision and crispness. Sure, ideally you should make the biggest pattern you can... as long as the feet do what they're supposed to do. Flowy looks good on a waltz. The paso is supposed to be precise (I was told it's the main thing), sacrifice the size of the pattern if you have to (but of course, keep it as big as you can).

beep_beep

Medalist
Can't resist it:

Costume notes.

Tanith's dress looks disturbingly similar to the OD dress she had at the Olympics.
My first thought on Tessa's dress was that it looked like the pattern on a drape or something (but I like it now, specially with the earrings)
Scott's shirt reminded me of Scali's FD costume.
Agosto and Shabalin's costumes were not the ugliest ones I saw: Lukanikin (AZE, sp?) managed to do worse.
Bourzat won the hot man of the day trophee (between him and White, it was tough decision :p).

lmarie086

Medalist
Can't resist it:

Costume notes.

Tanith's dress looks disturbingly similar to the OD dress she had at the Olympics.

That's what it reminded me of! I knew it reminded me of something she had before (though I really didn't like it. Oh well).

Agosto and Shabalin's costumes were not the ugliest ones I saw: Lukanikin (AZE, sp?) managed to do worse.

Was he the one who had a skirt on? I kept hearing about that but I didn't know who it was. And I just saw a picture so, eww. But their OD costumes might be even worse!

Bourzat won the hot man of the day trophee (between him and White, it was tough decision :p).

Agreed!