Whither Johnny? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Whither Johnny?

pippa

Rinkside
Sorry for a bit of offtopic. I was wondering where I can find ' Pop star on ice' Movie with Johny? thanks

If you live in the US, it is still showing at film festivals around the country. You can find a list of the places it is showing on the official website here:

http://www.popstaronice.com/Screenings.html

Or you can wait until December 28, when it will air on the Sundance Channel (the TV series, Be Good Johnny Weir, will debut a week later on the same channel). The DVD of the film is due out in 2010.

merrybari

Final Flight
If you live in the US, it is still showing at film festivals around the country. You can find a list of the places it is showing on the official website here:

http://www.popstaronice.com/Screenings.html

Or you can wait until December 28, when it will air on the Sundance Channel (the TV series, Be Good Johnny Weir, will debut a week later on the same channel). The DVD of the film is due out in 2010.

Thanks for the info. My cable doesn't offer Sundance, but I do hope to be able to get the DVD at the very least.

OHgal

Rinkside
Interesting thread. I've had opportunities on occasion to watch Johnny practice and his 3A is always gorgeous. I'm so sad he missed it when it mattered, but that jump will be back!

Someone commented that he should get coaches that will work on jumping technique -- then you've never had the chance to see Galina and Viktor in action! I love watching them coach especially the younger skaters on jump techniques. Very focused, very technical, very thorough. (I have a bad back and don't jump, so I really love watching those who can--very exciting!)

I think you can safely chalk Johnny's missed jumps up to nerves, not coaching.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
For what it's worth, several years ago one of the commentators (who?) noted that Johnny had really good jump technique but that it was a question of nerves/focus with him and nothing more. I think I tend to believe that. When he first started competing as a senior skater it was so clear even to an uneducated eye such as mine that his jumps were effortless and he didn't get called on wrong edges. I doubt that that ability has gone anywhere. I have always thought that Johnny was a better skater than Evan but that the latter was a better competitor.

OHgal

Rinkside
I have always thought that Johnny was a better skater than Evan but that the latter was a better competitor.

Yup, ITA. I hope Viktor can (quickly!) instill in Johnny whatever it is that he has....the killer instinct? The championship mindset?

tilak

On the Ice
:rock: I agree with nerves and focus as being Johnny's problem. The practice video before the FS was awesome.....:love:

jennylovskt

Medalist
I would have to disagree - there is one thing that makes the loyal fans better and that's quality of commentary on the boards :p

That depends. Loyal fans of the skating and loyal fans of the individual are different. I agree that loyal fans of the sport will give you detailed, in deepth, quality discussions and commentary. I love to read them and I've learned a lot from them. Some of the loyal fans of the individual skaters (I say some) would go over board and be crazy. They could see black and say it's white or vise versa. Those comments have no sense and value at all.

If someone is only interested in the medals that are won by the skater then you will only ever get one dimensional commentary from that fan - they're the best because they got the gold/are not the best because they didn't get the gold. If the sole reason for "liking" a skater is because they win, then it's an open and shut deabte for that fan. Check the medal tally, job done. It would also mean that fan is only ever interested in that number one step.

I love how you took my words and simplify them and attack.:biggrin: No, what I mean is much more complicated than this. What I thought, maybe I didn't explain them clearly, was that a fan is not bound to be loyal to any one. He has his own free spirit not to like a skater any more if he doesn't like the skater any more. He might still like the skater without the title. He might not. If you choose to be a crazy, loyal fan of someone, It's your choice. It's not like that you are morally better if you stay loyal. The reason is so simple because to be a loyal fan or not to be a loyal fan is not a moral issue. It doesn't represent whether this fan is a good person or not. The reason I mentioned the word "title" in the previous post was because I think in a broader concept, a title does relate to the skaters' skating qualities, skills, etc in most of the time.

Someone who truly watches for the skating regardless of placement can have a much more insteresting debate with someone about the actual skating IMO.

Sure, I agree with this.

feraina

Record Breaker
Oh, dear, my three favorite skaters are all having one heck of a start to the Olympic season: Caroline Zhang, Mao Asada, Johnny Weir. :no:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
For what it's worth, several years ago one of the commentators (who?) noted that Johnny had really good jump technique but that it was a question of nerves/focus with him and nothing more. I think I tend to believe that. When he first started competing as a senior skater it was so clear even to an uneducated eye such as mine that his jumps were effortless and he didn't get called on wrong edges. I doubt that that ability has gone anywhere. I have always thought that Johnny was a better skater than Evan but that the latter was a better competitor.

Exactly right. Only thing is, in that LP in Russia, his technique didn't look that great, and when we have Kosuka, Chan, Oda and Abott with pretty perfect technique as well, all of a sudden Johnny isn't unique anymore. He has been getting edge calls on his flip as of last year as well.

am i the only one who loved his sp?

yeah, i think you are.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
It's not like that you are morally better if you stay loyal. The reason is so simple because to be a loyal fan or not to be a loyal fan is not a moral issue.

Although whether a person as a whole is moral or not probably has not too much to do with how he or she chooses to follow a sport or an athlete, I have to disagree with these statements. I do think that loyalty is a "moral issue." Moral per my Webster's Collegiate: "of or relating to principles in right and wrong in behavior; ethical." For me, loyalty is an ethical principle. Synonyms listed for moral include virtuous, righteous, noble. Yes, to me, being loyal is a virtue. Doesn't mean you have to be crazily loyal, or loyal to someone or something that you once admired but has changed in ways that offend your own principles or anything like that, but I just have trouble saying point-blank that being a loyal fan carries with it absolutely no virtue at all. I do admire loyalty in a fan.

Again, that's not to say that whether or not a person is a loyal fan means he or she is a good/bad person as a whole. But, yeah, I have to say I think loyalty is moral, ethical, virtuous, etc. Obviously you don't agree, and that's fine, but I think it's important to note that not everyone sees it that way, as has already been indicated in some of the earlier posts in the thread -- and that's okay, too.

^ I think it is trickier than that. The virtue of loyalty is vigorously promoted by individuals in positions of power. It is our moral duty to be loyal to the emperor -- just ask the emperor.

Sometimes rebellion against formerly held convictions can be an ethical choice, too.

(Note: This does not apply to undying loyalty to the Kween, however. :) )

Wicked

Final Flight
No, I actually liked his SP. I think it showed his usual beautiful lines with speed and power.

When I first saw this SP, it was just meh. I said at the time that maybe it's a grower. :) I think it is- I liked it much more at CoR.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
^ I think it is trickier than that. The virtue of loyalty is vigorously promoted by individuals in positions of power. It is our moral duty to be loyal to the emperor -- just ask the emperor.

Sometimes rebellion against formerly held convictions can be an ethical choice, too.

(Note: This does not apply to undying loyalty to the Kween, however. :) )

Oh, absolutely, that's why I said something about not remaining (or being in the first place, for that matter) loyal to anyone whose principles you don't agree with/have come to disagree with or whose actions you deplore.

Totally agree about the Kween, though -- as long as I can also be a "subject" of Kristi Y.! :laugh:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Hmmm. And I was thinking you WERE Aunt Joyce. :p

It is an amazing blog!

:biggrin:

I know!

When I was reading through the blog I totally thought, "hmm, this is so very ME."

Aunt Joyce's Ice Cream Stand - Such a quirky, sublime name!

I would definitely do a blog if I had the time. Unfortunately, I like contributing to various forums and have my screenplays I need to focus on.