Best reactions to an awesome skate | Golden Skate

Best reactions to an awesome skate

Layfan

Record Breaker
I just love it when skaters totally lose it on ice after an awesome performance. I'm not talking about the kiss and cry although that's fun too. I'm talking about when they hit their last pose and go ape.

Mirai's reaction at the end of her FS was priceless:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtRFJnR3b8w

Other favorites that come to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWQSoIEAxns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UFHvSWmY0c

And of course, who can forget this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PI40gxVnrM&feature=related

Anyone else have other favorite moments like this?

janetfan

Match Penalty
You picked out some of my favorites :yes:

Another would be Mirai's LP from last year's Natls....where she came on the ice in tears and finished with such a jubilant expression.

I also liked Jeremy's reaction after his LP at Natls this season....and who can blame him afyer such a great skate :clap:

ETA: I think Kimmie has shown some great reactions too!

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Lu Chen winning the Bronze after an incredible comeback. She sat down and cried on the ice.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Lu Chen winning the Bronze after an incredible comeback. She sat down and cried on the ice.

I agree and what a moment that was!

Lulu will always remain as one of my all-time favorites.
I just loved her skating so much :love:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
My alltime fav was Michelle's 2004 Nationals Tosca... the clinched fist and look on her face...Classic.

Layfan

Record Breaker

Aww, yes of course. It's hard to think of a more elegant skater than Lu Chen. I remember her crying during the medal ceremony, too.

Another one I forgot was Irina Slutskaya's reaction after her FS skate at the 2005 worlds. It was sort of a more grown up and teary-eyed version of Mirai's at nationals. (Course, Frank Carrol has prohibited Mirai from crying ;) .

janetfan

Match Penalty
My alltime fav was Michelle's 2004 Nationals Tosca... the clinched fist and look on her face...Classic.

I think this is the standard from which I judge all others. :love:

Still, I can't help thinking back to '95 Worlds and 14 year old Michelle's reaction from the time she finished her LP until she left the K & C area.

A classic skating moment I will always remember! :yes:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
... and Rudy Galindo's FS at the 1996 Nationals come to mind as two wonderful winning reactions.

Wasn't that the performance when Rudy waved at someone as he rounded a corner of the rink right in the middle of his skate? An awesome moment, it just seemed to come from sheer joy at being "with" the crowd.

Doris, agree about Boitano. He looked like he was giving thanks from the heart.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Wasn't that the performance when Rudy waved at someone as he rounded a corner of the rink right in the middle of his skate? An awesome moment, it just seemed to come from sheer joy at being "with" the crowd.

Doris, agree about Boitano. He looked like he was giving thanks from the heart.

Hee hee! Yes it was. That performance is one of my all time favs. Probably top five, Maybe I should start another thread - best impromptu moments during a skate.:p

Moxie

On the Ice
Ryan Bradley at the end of his LP. The look on his face was just out of this world. Too bad I don't have it recorded because my DVR went bonkers last week.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I just love it when skaters totally lose it on ice after an awesome performance. I'm not talking about the kiss and cry although that's fun too. I'm talking about when they hit their last pose and go ape.

Mirai's reaction at the end of her FS was priceless:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtRFJnR3b8w

Watching this clip after Mirai finished it is quite telling to see the closeups of Ashley and Rachael. They look very grim and beyond worried.

I guess they saw Mirai skate had had very good reason to be worried.

Neither had the look of the winner.

schiele

Final Flight
For me, there's only one that is truly unforgettable and will remain so for some time probably..
Yags, yags, yags and the infamous tears at 2002 olympics.. Brought me to tears along with him.. Ahhh, good times. :)

Layfan

Record Breaker
Ryan Bradley at the end of his LP. The look on his face was just out of this world. Too bad I don't have it recorded because my DVR went bonkers last week.
Oh ... I just watched it and it was just wonderful.

I have to confess I hadn't seen it before. I was traveling during the men's competition and after reading how it went I only watched Jeremy's. I already know Evan's LP and I just didn't want to watch a flawed one. And I definitely didn't want to watch Johnny's even more flawed one. I know Ryan had done well but I was so heartbroken that he didn't make the Olympic team so I couldn't stand to watch it either. (Not that I wanted any of the top 3 NOT to make the team but part of me just really wanted it for Ryan.)

But I'm so glad I watched that. Anyone know what Ryan's plans are? Will he keep competing next year?
My big pipe dream is for Evan to win the Olympic Gold medal and for Ryan to get to go to worlds and medal there. I just want him to have his moment already!!