Longevity at the top taken for granted | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Longevity at the top taken for granted

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Irina wore different dresses for different competitions. She wore some kind of floaty blue toilet-paper-streamer thing at the GPF, and black at SLC. I don't remember what she wore at Worlds '02. The black costume was probably the best, but I hated her interpretation: all that face-grabbing and hair-pulling! A regal diva like Floria Tosca would never have used obvious gestures such as that.

Seonaid920

On the Ice
I thought I remembered her wearing a dark dress, but I don't remember it ever being an issue that would cause Irina embarrassment for choosing the wrong Tosca color. Clearly I should have been checking with the other boards to find out what crazy people thought about it. This board is very nice compared to the Sashafans.com board.

:laugh:

Seonaid920

On the Ice
Regarding Dick Button's comments of Sasha being a better technical skater I think he meant all of her moves, not just her jumps - her spirals, split jumps and spins are excellently executed but she doesn't always touch the spectators in an emotional way like Michelle does.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IMHO, Kwan's spiral is much better than Sasha's. A large part of Sasha's spiral is on the flat of the blade, and she doesn't get nearly as much ice coverage as Kwan. Sasha's change of edge spiral doesn't compare at all to Kwan's; after the edge change, she can hold it only for about 2 seconds. On Kwan's COE, she would go from one end of the rink to the other, change edge, and go all the way back to the other end.

Sasha can't execute the COE the way Kwan can partly because to balance the hyperextended leg, she almost has to be on the flat much of the time.

Seonaid920

On the Ice
I don't know if Dick Button meant Sasha was better technically than Kwan, but rather that Technical Sasha was better than Artistic Sasha.
[of course, I don't remember the entire quote so I could be wrong]

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
I took a peek at Skating Forums ever since I got myself banned.:D I never would have imagined that the anti-Kwannies could have gotten any more bitter and nasty toward her, but they have managed to increase it tenfold over the past year. At least half of those posts were out of pure unadultered hate. I hope Kwan knows to watch her back.

Jimmy Hoffa said:
I took a peek at Skating Forums ever since I got myself banned.:D I never would have imagined that the anti-Kwannies could have gotten any more bitter and nasty toward her, but they have managed to increase it tenfold over the past year. At least half of those posts were out of pure unadultered hate. I hope Kwan knows to watch her back.

You're right Jimmy - The Anti Kwan fans of figure skating are the same ones who rooted for Tara, then Irina, now Sasha. there is something about MK that gets to them. I can live with it. It's their thing and they have a right to that. Anyone but Kwan.

Seonaid- You, too are right. Stick with your beliefs and especially your favorite skater whether she wins or loses. Medals do not change what makes your heart tell youl.

IndieBoi - There are many fans who consider figure skating to be the sport for little girls only. I don't share that, but that's me. I think of Irina, Elena Liashenko, Amber Corwin, Jennifer Robinson, and soon to be Sasha Cohen (l Oly already). There are many others, too. I find these gals looking great for their age and their skating has a certain finish to it that little girls can only imitate.

We've had 3 teenage Oly champs right in a row. By 2006 our hope will be for Bebe Liang to satisfy the teenage craze.

Joe

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Irina wore different dresses for different competitions. She wore some kind of floaty blue toilet-paper-streamer thing at the GPF, and black at SLC. I don't remember what she wore at Worlds '02.

She wore the same black SLC costume for 02 worlds. She wore a burgundy red costume for Tosca at Euros 02. I don't remember GWG, but I think that it was another "kind of floaty blue toilet-paper-streamer thing".

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just a reminder - no bashing of posters and other forums are allowed.

Without pointing fingers and sending PMs which I DON'T have time to do, I would like to see some of these posts edited. If the shoe fits, wear it. If you can't find your shoe, then buy a new pair (delete your post(s)).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I agree...

you want to reply to what someone says on another board, go to THAT board and post... don't bring it here.

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
What is the difference in discussing what is written elsewhere in a forum and what is written elswhere as in a magazine or newspaper article? Isn't another board just another source for information even if it is mostly opinion (which would be no different than an editorial)?

you want to reply to what someone says on another board, go to THAT board and post... don't bring it here.

IMO that's like saying don't discuss articles/editorials from other sources here write a letter to the editor instead.

Have removed my posts in this thread. But, I don't understand why discussing other's opinions about skaters is not permitted especially those posted in a public forum..:confused:

Piel

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Piel,

bringing an article on it is a little different than finding another poster's comments and then trashing hte poster... there are certain comments that are quite hurtful on this thread. It does NOTHING for the topic at hand, and it basically starts flamewars BETWEEN BOARDS. There's really nothing good coming out of saying

"such and such on skating board A said this:
blah blah blah

I don't agree with them because they're so stupid."

there's a lot of... "I'm a fan of this skater, why are they insulting me, I have a right to my opinion." and you can turn that around and say the same thing for the "offending poster" on a different board. agree to disagree and keep the fighting away from Golden Skate... we don't need a fight between boards. The fights between fans are enough! :laugh:

nymkfan51

Medalist
Frankly, I've seen those remarks by the same people so many times ... you just see that they are unhappy little campers.

As for longevity ... it really is incredible to look back and see what Michelle has done ... and still is doing. Just take Sarah and Sasha for instance ... 2 great skaters in their own right ... well, Sarah never got her National title and Sasha is having a heck of a time with it. Just goes to show you how difficult it is to get just one ... let alone 8 in 9 years. I have always heard from athletes that getting a championship the first time is easier than winning again ... when everyone is gunning for you all the time.
Michelle has worked hard for what she has recieved, and she has had some good fortune. Whether or not she wins an Olympic gold medal at this point, IMO will not lessen her spot in figure skating history.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Does anyone know who has won national and World titles by defeating the reigning champ? How often has this happened?

candy

Spectator
Does anyone know who has won national and World titles by defeating the reigning champ? How often has this happened?

Michelle has defeated Reigning World Champs Chen Lu and Maria Butyskaya for the World Title, and Tara for the National Title in 98.

Irina has defeated Michelle for the World Title, and Tara defeated Michelle for both the Nationals and World Title.

Didn't Todd defeat Elvis for the World Title, and Scott Davis for the Nationals Title? Rudy defeated Todd for the Nationals Title?

Didn't Sale & Pelletier defeat B&S for the World Title?

In short, it happens.

Piel and Doggygirl (two of the nicest posters on GS), it wasn't your posts that were out of line.

Mathman:) :)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
WHEW!!

Mathman, does that mean if I show up in Germany with a blond bad shag do, a swan on my head, and a wonderbra I will be OK? I was thinking that if bad judging occurs, I could very easily turn that wonderbra into a slingshot. I have plenty of ammo in my purse that could be flung at bad judges - you know - red lipstick, garage door openers, things like that. No telling what's in the bottom of my purse these days that I haven't seen in years.

:)

I hope my sick sense of humor isn't too far flung. I have some crazy deadlines work wise coming up which is my explanation for crazy behavior. (I WISH I could blame it on altitude, but I'm in the Chicago area)

Thanks!!

DG