Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 159 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

ice coverage

Record Breaker

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
If a skater attempts a triple toe, but it is downgraded to a double toe, does it count against the allotted number of double toes per program? The reason I ask is because on the protocols it's listed as a 3t<< not a 2t.

gkelly

Record Breaker
If a skater attempts a triple toe, but it is downgraded to a double toe, does it count against the allotted number of double toes per program? The reason I ask is because on the protocols it's listed as a 3t<< not a 2t.

If it's called as 3T<< it counts as a triple attempt. It would count against the number of repeated triple toes, not double toes.

caitie

Medalist
I was looking through some older ice dance rules recently, and I noticed that Circular or Serpentine Anti-Clockwise step sequences used to be worth 6.2 points, which was less than Circular or Serpentine Clockwise step sequences were worth (7.0 points). Is there some reason for that -- is it more difficult to do a clockwise curved step sequences than anti-clockwise curved step sequences?

And since I'm asking that, I was also wondering why so many teams choose a curved step sequence (circular or serpentine) to use as their Style A (nine turns for each partner) step sequence and save the straight step sequences (midline or diagonal) for their Style B (five turns for each partner) step sequence. Is it easier to do the harder kind of step sequence in a curved pattern than it is in a straight line? Is it just a matter of needing more space to complete all nine turns, and as the saying goes, "the shortest distance between two points is a straight line"?

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
I was looking through some older ice dance rules recently, and I noticed that Circular or Serpentine Anti-Clockwise step sequences used to be worth 6.2 points, which was less than Circular or Serpentine Clockwise step sequences were worth (7.0 points). Is there some reason for that -- is it more difficult to do a clockwise curved step sequences than anti-clockwise curved step sequences?

For most skaters it's easier to skate counterclockwise than clockwise. It's more obvious with the jumps and spins, but skaters do have a good side and a bad side for turns too. (Especially twizzles)

And since I'm asking that, I was also wondering why so many teams choose a curved step sequence (circular or serpentine) to use as their Style A (nine turns for each partner) step sequence and save the straight step sequences (midline or diagonal) for their Style B (five turns for each partner) step sequence. Is it easier to do the harder kind of step sequence in a curved pattern than it is in a straight line? Is it just a matter of needing more space to complete all nine turns, and as the saying goes, "the shortest distance between two points is a straight line"?

Your guess makes sense.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Just wondering if there is a way to block another user on the boards here, so you don't have to see posts you find objectionable and get suckered into a disagreement that could turn unpleasant and result in a "bickering" censure. I'm keen to avoid both a censure and unpleasant disagreement!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Just wondering if there is a way to block another user on the boards here, so you don't have to see posts you find objectionable and get suckered into a disagreement that could turn unpleasant and result in a "bickering" censure. I'm keen to avoid both a censure and unpleasant disagreement!

Go to their profile and click on the option "Add to ignore list"

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's too bad that even after ignoring someone whenever someone quotes them you can then see their posts. It's frustrating because people often quote trolls. I do my best to address them without quoting them so that if by chance someone has blocked someone I am not enabling their mean spiritedness to be passed on.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It's too bad that even after ignoring someone whenever someone quotes them you can then see their posts. It's frustrating because people often quote trolls. I do my best to address them without quoting them so that if by chance someone has blocked someone I am not enabling their mean spiritedness to be passed on.

I have a different philosophy regarding quoting:

If an unpleasant post bothers me enough that I want to respond, my tendency is to quote it -- so that the basis for my reaction is clear.

It's not that I want to perpetuate mean-spiritedness. But I do not want my reply to be seen as something unwarranted in itself.

ETA:
Eeek ... I have removed the "News" icon from this post. Sorry, it was an accident. Didn't realize until minutes later that I somehow inadvertently had added it originally.
I hope everyone knows that I am not such an egotist that I think my one opinion on something is newsworthy.​

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

I don't mind the quotes of the ignored ones too much. Usually the quoter cuts down the verbiage, so it doesn't take nearly as long to read. And reading the rebuttal/reply at the same time somehow takes the sting out of the original.

I also find that I don't always automatically read the quoted parts of posts. If I'm reading a thread at one go, I've already seen the post that's being replied to, and don't need to read it again. If I do read the quotes, it's usually more of a skim, to get the context, so I can concentrate on the "new stuff".

musicfan80

Medalist
Here's what could be a stupid question: What do people mean when they are talking about Patrick Chan "not having a skating coach?" Wouldn't Kathy Johnson have to be certified somehow in order to be credentialed by Skate Canada? Or are people referring to Johnson not being a technically focused coach and she is more focused on artistry?

Imagine

Medalist
Do skaters get rewarded, officially or unofficially for jumping close to the boards. I've never understood why they would run that risk.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Here's what could be a stupid question: What do people mean when they are talking about Patrick Chan "not having a skating coach?" Wouldn't Kathy Johnson have to be certified somehow in order to be credentialed by Skate Canada? Or are people referring to Johnson not being a technically focused coach and she is more focused on artistry?

I'm not particularly familiar with the details, but I believe that Kathy Johnson is primarily a modern dance teacher with little, if any, background in skating. Your question about the credentials is a good one, though. I, too, would have thought she'd have had to be certified to stand at the boards for Patrick in ISU competition.

Do skaters get rewarded, officially or unofficially for jumping close to the boards. I've never understood why they would run that risk.

No. I think it's a thing that just happens with some skaters. For example at Worlds, the rink was an NHL sized rink, which is smaller than an Olympic rink, so some skaters found themselves closer to the boards than they would normally be. Other skaters like Max just like being out there.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I’ve asked this before in a football thread a couple of years ago, but nobody replied. So, now that it is back in my head, I thought I would ask it again in a skating thread which gets a bigger audience.

I was watching last week’s Women’s Euro 2017 qualifier between Scotland and Slovenia this morning on the BBC’s on demand service. And one of the pundits was retired Scottish player (and former Arsenal Ladies manager) Shelley Kerr.

Now, every time I see Shelley, I think “boys, she is the picture of John Kerr!” (Although, curiously, I’ve never thought that she looked like Sinead…)

The last time that nosiness got the better of me, I looked up whereabouts in Scotland Shelley is from. And it turned out that Shelley was born in Broxburn, the same town in West Lothian as John was. (Incidentally, Sinead was born in Edinburgh, which is just a few miles away).

To me, this was too much of a coincidence. They have to be related. But does anybody know in what way?

I used to think that Shelley was their big sister, but now I’m not as sure. Like, surely it would have been publicised if the three of them were siblings. Having an international footballer and 2 Olympic Ice Dancers in the same family unit would have made a great story for the media.

So, can anybody put this to rest?

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
And another stupid question, this time directed particularly towards our Italian members (although if anybody knows the answer, I would be grateful of any help)

I have been poking about the on-demand service on the RAI website (using a certain VPN, of course!) Unfortunately, I can’t find what I am looking for. So, that started me wondering:

Does LIVE sports coverage from RAI Sport 1 get put onto it? And if it does, how long does it stay up for?

The reason I ask is that RAI Sport 1 showed the Women’s Euro 2017 qualifier between Italy and Northern Ireland on Tuesday, and I missed most of the first half. OK, so there weren’t any goals scored or anything, but I would still like to see what I missed. Mainly because I actually know 2 of the players in real life.

Plus, it would be useful to know for future reference, since they show figure skating as well. ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Curious, when a skater is at a competition, lets say Ashley at worlds wanted to watch the men skate or the pairs or ice dance, does she have to pay full price? Or do they get to watch for free?

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Curious, when a skater is at a competition, lets say Ashley at worlds wanted to watch the men skate or the pairs or ice dance, does she have to pay full price? Or do they get to watch for free?

I believe a participating skater's credential would likely give them access to the arena throughout the duration of the event.

As for where in the arena they would end up watching the comp, that's the question.

JMJ2015

Rinkside

One of the commentators during Patrick's FS said that someone told him to jump close to the boards so that the boards helped prevent a fall. I think it was Johnny Weir on NBCSN but I could be wrong about that.