2014 Olympics Ladies Free Skate | Page 80 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Ladies Free Skate

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
in your face haters !!!

Adelina jut won

I won't scroll through your huge amount of posts - 6000 posts in less than 3 years... Wow. I'd say congrats, but since most of them have been about insulting someone - skater or fellow GS member - I won't.
But... You invented the slogan "Adelina Sotnikova is a headcase!" And repeated it in what felt like at least 100 posts. You didn't keep it at that.
So... "In your face haters"... are you actually talking to yourself?
Or is it Dr. Jekyll talking to Mr. Hyde? :confused:
This was you 15 hours ago:
agreed, No way a clean Sotnikova can score higher than a clean Kim or Kostner in FS

I thought you absolutely hated Adelina from your previous post.. you are indeed a very very disturbed person...
I couldn't agree more.

fahrenheit290

Rinkside
Tara is just saying this because she works for NBC. She doesn't want to embarrass Russia because NBC is paying her to cover the rigged Olympics. So Tara just goes along with this. As for Johnny he has always been pro Russia and he is married to a Russian man and he is working for NBC.

Well, how come in 2002 the NBC announcers were calling out the judges when the Canadians didn't win Pairs? Arguably, the Russians were better than them. In that case, artistry > technical.

I'm irritated with the numbers. I'm irritated Julia has been hailed to the high heavens with her immature forms, and then beat Mao Asada, who should have finished fifth. I'm irritated the gold medalist lacking artistry and perfect forms had such high PCS. I'm interested in the primetime calls, but I doubt Sandra or Scott or the ridiculous Tom will call out the judges. Boy how our society has changed since 2002. Now, we shy away from even the slightest hint of controversy. Everything has to be so sanitized as not to upset and alienate audiences. Personally, I think the ISU should be called out, and I wonder if the South Korea Skating Federation will make a stink about this as Russia did for Plushenko in Vancouver (see the quad controversy article on Wikipedia).

jaylee

Medalist
Sotnikova has gottan clean Lutzes ratified in the past, so this isn't an Ashley Wagner getting a clean Lutz call at Nationals sort of situation. Go back and look through the protocols, and see for yourself.

When? Not at 2014 Europeans. FYI, Sotnikova flutzes, always has, and it's a worse flutz than Yulia's. She should have had negative GOE on that combo, which didn't even have good flow on it anyway.

The placements matter more than the scores at the end of the day, but I think you're being way too subjective when trying to explain Sotnikova's scores. Her program was the most difficult, she was the fastest, she didn't take any of the types of breaks Kostner took in her program (where she's visibly taking breaths to rest for the second half). The jumps and spins were brilliant.

Adelina's programs and packaging this season were terrible. The transitions had nothing to do with the music, the choreography was bizarre and weird. What was she trying to portray in the FS? What was the theme? Oh yes, but she HAD transitions and choreography. That's not enough when they didn't make any sense in terms of the MUSIC and PERFORMANCE. I don't think Adelina had any idea why she was moving her hand one way or another. And nobody watching did either.

I've seen Adelina Sotnikova live. She is a talented skater. She can jump big though it's not pretty technique. She has good speed, she has good spins. But she should have had better programs. Those weren't Olympic-gold-medal-worthy programs IMO. Her programs last year (even that FS with the Christina Aguilera wailing) were better.

Venee

Rinkside
Gracie and Ashley should be receiving better PCS that Adelina. Adelina's no different from Slutskaya. If this was ten years ago in Russia Irina would have beaten Michelle like this.

As a Kwan fan I remember those days so well! I agree with you. Slutskaya was not a fav of mine. She was a great skater but not a legend in my eyes like Kwan. I feel the same about Yuna and Adelina. Yuna is a legend. I guess the jury is still out about Adelina. She'll be a legend in Russia, but world wide? The Olympic gold isn't what it used to be. This result sort of has Nagano shades to it as well. The Kwan Lipinski showdown. I'm hearing some of the same things leveled at Kim that was leveled at Kwan back then.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
No.

I'm going to stop you right there. You do not get to say crap like that.

You have been not just one of the worst haters, you have been THE worst hater of Sotnikova.

We can't even count the number of times you've called her a headcase and said disparaging things about her. Adelina essentially just told all her haters - including you, sky_fly - to shove it with a gold-winning performance (or at least a performance worthy of the podium).

Stop trying to pretend like you haven't been one of her biggest haters, all along. None of us are buying that. :rolleye::rolleye::rolleye:

:agree: You formulated it better than I just tried to. PLEASE, someone create some kind of enclosed pasture / thread where sky_fly20 and co. can tumble / TROLL around freely. :bow:

mjspideygrl

Rinkside
Didn't Sotnikova have more triples than both Yuna and Carolina? I did not think their skating is that much superior to hers that it should take over a better jump. She skated beautifully and her spins definitely look superior to theirs. I think her skating is much more mature than Lipnitskaya who was getting high scores at the team event. I cried when Mao skated cleanly, I was so happy for her. I was so happy she finally landed her triple axel. As an American, I'm looking at Gracie and Polina for the next Olympics. Gracie needs some of Sotnikova's energy in her program and needs a really good footwork sequence and some dramatic music rather than Sleeping Beauty, which was quite frankly boring. She needs some maturity in her skating but has improved a LOT since last year. I'm looking forward to the future with all of these wonderful young girls.

Vicky458

On the Ice
I can't wait to watch this on NBC tonight :popcorn: I wanna see how Sandra and Scott react. *preparing myself for the yells*

They said nothing after the sp. I imagine they won't say anything about the lp. Skating is very political(as we all know). They won't rattle the Russians. Such a farce!

Flaya

Match Penalty
Gracie and Ashley should be receiving better PCS that Adelina. Adelina's no different from Slutskaya. If this was ten years ago in Russia Irina would have beaten Michelle like this.

Haha what a joke.

Gracie and Ashley are nowhere near the artistry, jumps and pirouettes of Adelina.

They were certainly overscored, one fell on her BUTT, another cannot do a combination without landing on two feet!

The way I see it, the only purpose of that sky_fly20 post, some of you have responded to, was to piss you off. And because you're replying, you're giving them what they wanted. I can understand your frustration but you're only giving them more ammunition.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was afraid with the new girls not even being eligible for Worlds until last season or in the case of someone like Gracie just not being advanced enough until last year to go to Worlds that it was just going to be like 2010 and the same veterans would dominate. But the new girls really came on in the last few months and started catching up with the veterans and made these Olympics much more thrilling then i was expecting about a year ago. If the Olympics were next year these girls would probably start passing up the older ladies.

mjspideygrl

Rinkside
Flaya, Adelina definitely definitely was a better overall skater, but I think EVERYONE was overscored across the board. If this was last year at Worlds I don't think we would have seen these numbers.

Demandred

On the Ice
She benefitted from Olympic Score Inflation, which happens at almost every Olympics since the sport and this scoring system is not obsessed with numbers.

If you put too much emphasis on the numbers you get lost and miss the greater picture.

The placements matter more than the numbers.

Wasting time asking questions like "Can someone tell me how Adelina is better than Kostner in PCS" misses the point that Adelina totally outskated Kostner in the FS and rightfully beat her by 5+ points like she should have given Kostner's jumps and spins in that program, as well as the coffee breaks in the choreography.

Same goes for Yuna. Sotnikova was on fire. Yuna did crossovers around the rink predominately in one direction and did less technical content and more spins. In order to not penalize Yuna's PCS (like it actually should have been) for those mediocre programs, the judges decided to just boost Sotnikova's because she gave a better performance.
Wow, that's a really impressive precognition skill by the judges given that Sotnikova skated before Yuna. They just knew that Sotnikova would give a better performance than Yuna 15 minutes before Yuna even stepped on the ice.

Anyway, some excellent performances tonight. Shame that the controversy would probably overshadow them. For my money Costner and Kim were better, but kudos to Sotnikova for giving her best and dealing perfectly with the huge pressure, if there were shady dealings they weren't her fault.

Great to see Mao with a stunning program today after the distaster yesterday, just so beautiful and emotional.

Spinerette

On the Ice
As a Kwan fan I remember those days so well! I agree with you. Slutskaya was not a fav of mine. She was a great skater but not a legend in my eyes like Kwan. I feel the same about Yuna and Adelina. Yuna is a legend. I guess the jury is still out about Adelina. She'll be a legend in Russia, but world wide? The Olympic gold isn't what it used to be. This result sort of has Nagano shades to it as well. The Kwan Lipinski showdown. I'm hearing some of the same things leveled at Kim that was leveled at Kwan back then.

I actually thought Lipinski out skated Kwan. Tara was not an artist like Michelle but Tara was way more artistic than Adelina. Adelina is like a boy with ADHD flying around the rink in an ill fitting dress. Adelina will not be a legend even in Russia. There are other talented Russians who hopefully will win fair and square. This was pay back for losing the ice dance.

I don't agree with that. I find Gold to be a wooden competitor. I think Sotnikova is a better basic skater than Wagner is.

Gold has a stiff back, poor carriage and her lines aren't great but then Sotnikova is deficient in those areas as well so it's not like she has a big advantage there. She seemed faster than Sotnikova and had programs which related to the music better in terms of timing and character.

Wagner has very good carriage and decent lines. The way she can use her whole upper body (and not just move her arms) to interpret the music is lovely. Her SP was well constructed and excellent in terms of interpreting the music. FS not so much. I'd give her a slight edge on the SS I guess.

Slutskaya actually skated to the music the vast majority of the time. Sotnikova doesn't.

astronaut

Rinkside
Quote Originally Posted by millie>

"All the hair dye in the world could not help Gracie win the gold. Anyone that has seen or heard her on the media knows that she is a dumb dyed blonde. You Americans think that you are the best and putting other people down is a joke. Kaetlyn is a beautiful girl and a lovely skater.....she did wonderful for a skater that has been out most of the season due to injuries. I had to respond to your post with negativity because that's all people like you deserve. No wonder other countries dislike Americans the way they do."<

And Gracie didn't even medal. No need to be so ugly about her. Figure skaters use makeup, LOUD costumes,etc,etc. It's campy.
If you don't like her just say it. No need for total rudeness.

No, competing "with heart" isn't written down in the rule books. In the Olympics it sometimes counts. If anyone in modern (1992-present) Olympic Ladies Figure Skating has a legitimate beef with wearing silver instead of gold, she is Nancy Kerrigan. Lipinski, Hughes and Arakawa all won the gold fair and square. Imo, Sotnikova also won fair and square...........but what do I know???? I'm just a dumb-eyed geek from Alabama. :sarcasm:

Mike

akim021

Spectator
I know I only joined in the last month for the Olympics craze but I have to let it out somewhere.
How did Adelina get a score close to Yuna's Vancouver ones???????????
She skated well enough to podium, but most definitely not a gold.
Such a depressing news to wake up to from my side of the world.

Spinerette

On the Ice
Yeah, Adelina was on fire but her whole skating was lacking. Only the jumps were good. The entry into the jumps weren't as good either and she did make that three jump mistake. Adelina doesn't have the basics like Carolina and Yuna and she never will.