2015 JGP Colorado Springs Mens SP Sep 3 | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2015 JGP Colorado Springs Mens SP Sep 3

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It may be a record for junior GPs, but it's not a record for junior mens SP overall - Shoma Uno got 84.87 points at the last Junior Worlds.

Edit: Oops, I was much too slow (doing other things while writing my response).

And also, it's obviously now Chen's new SP PB. Maybe Tara Lipinski' prediction of him becoming a dark horse came a year too early.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Chen probably could have gotten 80+ points if he got level 4s on his spins. It looked like he was trying out some new positions and maybe didn't get low enough in the sit and that's why he missed out on L4, obviously he's a great spinner and those are meant to be L4 so his scoring potential given that is great!

Also just realized Sota is still 15? He looks so grown up now! What happened to the cute little kid from JW? Liked his program a lot, lets hope the axel pop was a fluke.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chen probably could have gotten 80+ points if he got level 4s on his spins. It looked like he was trying out some new positions and maybe didn't get low enough in the sit and that's why he missed out on L4, obviously he's a great spinner and those are meant to be L4 so his scoring potential given that is great!

Also just realized Sota is still 15? He looks so grown up now! What happened to the cute little kid from JW? Liked his program a lot, lets hope the axel pop was a fluke.

I calculated if all those spins were level 4 with nothing else, including GOE changed, he would have barely cracked 80 points with 80.03 points.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I did some "research" and Nathan has natural very thick straight hair. I think he did those curls because of M. Jackson theme, and I am absolutely OK with that. He has this hair only during SP!
But curly or straight, I loved him.

But for his FS at Glacier Falls, Nathan's hair did not look straight -- it looked wavy. Definitely wavy, although it was shorter than it is now.

I will add that hair naturally can change from straight to wavy over time.
When very young, a male in my family (with 100% Asian blood) had very straight hair.
As he grew up, it naturally became very wavy.
(He does not artificially manipulate his hair in any way to make it wavy.)

Anyway, congratulations to Nathan :).

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
It's the first time I see Nathan, and I was troubled by his curly hair. It can't be natural...Is he of Chinese/asian background?
Other than his hair, I loved him!

PS: Now I think he did that because of the Michael Jackson theme...stupid me

I'm of Asian descent and my hair is naturally wavy and fine, which stems opposite of the straight and thick hair most have.

Looks natural to me. My dad, brother and son all have that same type of thick, curly hair. My grandfather did as well. We're also of Asian descent.

But for his FS at Glacier Falls, Nathan's hair did not look straight -- it looked wavy. Definitely wavy, although it was shorter than it is now.
I will add that hair naturally can change from straight to wavy over time.
When very young, a male in my family (with 100% Asian blood) had very straight hair.
As he grew up, it naturally became very wavy.
(He does not artificially manipulate his hair in any way to make it wavy.)

Anyway, congratulations to Nathan :).

Since we're on the topic of hair...
Nathan's father is from China, his mother is from Taiwan.

I'm Taiwanese and my hair looks exactly like Nathan's -- when short, it looks straight, but as soon as it goes past a couple of inches, it starts to get very thick and wavy, and even fluffy because of how much hair/how thick it is. It is not 'fine' hair. When I used to let my hair grow longer, it would grow more shaggy and fro like -- exactly what Nathan's looks like right now.

Other than cutting it short, there is really no way to get this type of hair to "lie flat" or be straight (a la Max Aaron's slicked back Carmen and Gladiator hairdo -- Max's hair is curly, but it is much less thick/more fine and less dense and thus is willing to conform to an intense amount of product -- especially if he straightens it.)

That concludes my contribution to this hair discussion :p

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I felt like Nathan was a bit tentative in his skate though he completed all the elements. He needs to give it more in terms of performance because he has all the elements down now he just needs to work it more.

I have always found Nathan rather "dry" and not an engaging performer at all, but I thought he was a lot better here compared to last season. I know he'll probably never be an extrovert like Nam, but he can only improve, and I hope he does. Not that he is the only one with work to do in that area, of course.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have always found Nathan rather "dry" and not an engaging performer at all, but I thought he was a lot better here compared to last season. I know he'll probably never be an extrovert like Nam, but he can only improve, and I hope he does. Not that he is the only one with work to do in that area, of course.

Seems to me when he was younger Nathan was a more outgoing and engaging performer.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Since we're on the topic of hair...
Nathan's father is from China, his mother is from Taiwan.

I'm Taiwanese and my hair looks exactly like Nathan's -- when short, it looks straight, but as soon as it goes past a couple of inches, it starts to get very thick and wavy, and even fluffy because of how much hair/how thick it is. It is not 'fine' hair. When I used to let my hair grow longer, it would grow more shaggy and fro like -- exactly what Nathan's looks like right now.

Other than cutting it short, there is really no way to get this type of hair to "lie flat" or be straight (a la Max Aaron's slicked back Carmen and Gladiator hairdo -- Max's hair is curly, but it is much less thick/more fine and less dense and thus is willing to conform to an intense amount of product -- especially if he straightens it.)

That concludes my contribution to this hair discussion :p

I'll just add - Nathan's hair looks like his brother's.