2015 Skate America Ice Dance SD Oct 23 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate America Ice Dance SD Oct 23

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Saw a clip of S/K short dance to Swan Lake.
Just why?why? People will always associate Swan Lake with I/K if either S/K or I/Z dance to it...

chameleon

On the Ice
I don't think it's huge deal, the SD is very different from an FD, and I'm pretty sure they'll be going much softer and sweeter than I/K's FD in any case. I don't think the two programs will be very comparable in terms of what happens on the ice. Its a little weird that they picked that, as people will undoubtedly try to draw comparisons anyway, but I doubt there will be many similarities.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
I don't think it's huge deal, the SD is very different from an FD, and I'm pretty sure they'll be going much softer and sweeter than I/K's FD in any case. I don't think the two programs will be very comparable in terms of what happens on the ice. Its a little weird that they picked that, as people will undoubtedly try to draw comparisons anyway, but I doubt there will be many similarities.

From the clip I saw, I was not keen of that. His body language was similair in that clip(even though, yeah, he has a different character)...
But oh well, I will wait and see the whole SD and then comment I guess

nocturnalis

Medalist
They just lost my like too

Dark Eyes was way more original and dunno, imho would fit them way more than the new music.

Original choice for waltz perhaps. As a program it was an inferior copy of Virtue & Moir's original dance from the 2007-2008 season.

noidont

Final Flight
Nikita is crazy to choose that. He looks good in that clip and she still doesn't bend her knees. He is too eager to prove others are wrong, except others aren't...

tvuckic16

Final Flight
Well, as much as I loved I/K, they do not own the rights to that Swan Lake music, so I guess SK can use it, just like IZ are using what their own fans refer to as the "Swan lift", which I also don't have a problem with. More serious than the choice of music is that Vika's knees don't bend.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Nikita is crazy to choose that. He looks good in that clip and she still doesn't bend her knees. He is too eager to prove others are wrong, except others aren't...

I saw him in an elevator. :biggrin:

With Viktoria, of course. :)

nocturnalis

Medalist
Did he look good? As much as I like him, I realize that program is going to be a mess just like he is. I have to have subverting to keep me watching.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Original choice for waltz perhaps. As a program it was an inferior copy of Virtue & Moir's original dance from the 2007-2008 season.

People claim that they said after Nebelhorn that their first option was a waltz from 'Sleeping Beauty'. So this is the third version already.

nocturnalis

Medalist
Why so many changes? I see why they changed from Dark Eyes, but was Sleeping Beauty too difficult or something?

chameleon

On the Ice
Why so many changes? I see why they changed from Dark Eyes, but was Sleeping Beauty too difficult or something?

They said it just didn't suit them. I don't even know how far they got into Sleeping Beauty, whether they had a full program, if they just started with the choreography and then decided against it.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Well, as much as I loved I/K, they do not own the rights to that Swan Lake music, so I guess SK can use it, just like IZ are using what their own fans refer to as the "Swan lift", which I also don't have a problem with. More serious than the choice of music is that Vika's knees don't bend.

Of course they can use it, but why invite the comparison? Was there really no other waltz music in the world they felt they could skate to? Did they really feel so passionately about swan lake that they felt they had to use it over all the music in the world when he had skated to it with Elena less than 2 years ago, to an Olympic bronze medal? It's not just that I/K doubtless had a better program to it than Sin/Kats will have, but it's that the music is going to make the judges think of the old program whether they want to or not, and that may also make them think abut the split and that's not a road you want a judge to go down.

This is also a time for them to invent themselves as a team. I don't think a good jumping off point is using the same music you used with an old partner (I realize the cuts will not be identical and might actually be totally different but it really doesn't matter, the comparison will be invited).

I just don't get why they would do this, or why Marina would not stop them.

chameleon

On the Ice
I believe Marina was actually the one to pick the music, although that doesn't answer your other questions. I personally don't have a problem with it, but it is kind of eyebrow-raising and will invite a lot of unnecessary comparisons from others. Again, I don't think it will be easy to draw comparisons in terms of what actually happens on the ice, but that doesn't mean people won't anyways.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I don't see any problems with Sinitsina/Katasalapov music choice, at least for now, I'll reserve my judgement untill I'll see the whole short dance. I just hope it will be totally different from Ilinykh/Katsalapov's FD from Olympic season.

tvuckic16

Final Flight
Of course they can use it, but why invite the comparison? Was there really no other waltz music in the world they felt they could skate to? Did they really feel so passionately about swan lake that they felt they had to use it over all the music in the world when he had skated to it with Elena less than 2 years ago, to an Olympic bronze medal? It's not just that I/K doubtless had a better program to it than Sin/Kats will have, but it's that the music is going to make the judges think of the old program whether they want to or not, and that may also make them think abut the split and that's not a road you want a judge to go down.

This is also a time for them to invent themselves as a team. I don't think a good jumping off point is using the same music you used with an old partner (I realize the cuts will not be identical and might actually be totally different but it really doesn't matter, the comparison will be invited).

You bring up some good points, but, whatever....it's their funeral so to speak... I would say Marina knows what she's doing but I am not so sure.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I believe Marina was actually the one to pick the music.

Hmm. I read a post from someone else saying they thought it was Sinitsina who had always wanted to skate to the music. I suppose this is her only chance. She's certainly not going to be able to select it for a free skate. In any case, it is what it is. I'm not a fan of the choice. Just as I'm not a fan of I&Z keeping the lift from I&K's program. (I cringed for YEARS every time Kazakova & Dimitriev did Mishcutionok & Dimitriev's signature combination spin). Sometimes people just make lousy choices. And now and then, when you actually see the program, you understand. (Kayne & O'Shea's Phantom program. I just can't believe they chose this music, but I have to admit it's the best program I've ever seen them skate).

nocturnalis

Medalist

Because of your post, I am going to start calling them Sinful Cats in my head. Also, Marina probably picked the music.

tvuckic16

Final Flight
Because of your post, I am going to start calling them Sinful Cats in my head. Also, Marina probably picked the music.

Sinful Cats...LOL LOL... I also think Marina must have picked the music, she seems like she likes to be the boss and dictate programs. Probably Sinful Cats had to agree. Why K would agree is beyond me but Marina must have had a reason. That reason escapes me honestly, but overall, the choice of music doesn't bother me too much. I guess we'll see what the whole SD looks like, it is a good waltz choice. We'll see how the judges see it, if they start drawing parallels with IK, I think SK are doomed.