2017-2018 Programs by Discipline | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

Nika09

On the Ice
Vivaldi, Swan Lake, Phantom of the Opera...well nothing changes. Welcome Olympic season! :)
Why they all decided that audience or judges would like to prefer listen 100th time Romeo and Juliet than something new? Because I really don't think so

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Beautiful deep edges from Andrew though. :love: As he didn't reach his full potential in his programs, I expected him to recycle them. However, It is not a bad choice for juniors to do warhorse pieces as they can refer to past great performances.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Aww. So good to see Andrew T. again.:agree: Not a huge fan of Roxanne, but given how much I hate hate hate hate Queen:ddevil: I'm happy to see a change.

Moratorium on Queen programs please.

LoL I love Queen and Freddie Mercury's incredibly angelic and diabolic voice. :devil: However, considering how much I don't like certain howling and wailing voices (always giving me headaches), so YMMV. :)

Andrew seems to prefer dramatic pieces given his choice of music so far.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Progrebinsky/Benoit
SD: Baddest Girl in Town, Lo So Che Finera, and Bailar.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Two warhorses Shoma?!?!?!?!?! Aaaaaahhhhh!!!!!! :scowl::scowl::scowl: Maybe he'll surprise me with something that transcends the boring music choice but I'm disappointed right now...

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Hanyu will have non-warhorse music but still very classical. I heard that David Wilson will choreograph for him. I think he already understands that Hanyu wants something distinctive but still friendly to people. After all those years I do think he has learned.

No please NO! Why can't he keep Shae-Lynn and Jeffrey? I love experiments during Olympic season, but not going back to something that didn't work before!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Vivaldi, Swan Lake, Phantom of the Opera...well nothing changes. Welcome Olympic season! :)
Why they all decided that audience or judges would like to prefer listen 100th time Romeo and Juliet than something new? Because I really don't think so

for me it's a bit of closed circle, without option to get out unless something happens...Judges - looking thorough the years - are ones seeming to prefer some kind of 'safe, stable convention' regarding musical choices/innovation, 'out there' factor in choreographies, in general - non-standard approach towards material presented. This 'standard' is 'imposed without voiced/ruled obligation' I'd say - as the material/choreography choices are areas not fully regulated/imposed by rules so strict for technical merit (elements), judges seem to find their way to 'control' those by being more favourable' towards certain musical choices and choreographies more 'conventional' than not. At least that's often my impression...

The good example of judges' confusion about material was visible for me this season with Gilles/Poirier SD. It was Disco-themed SD where the pattern was Blues - aside even from the fact that their execution regarding that particular dance was not always the best, judges seemed not knowing what to do with that dance. It was totally out of their musical/choreographical and general convention 'comfort zone', what they probably expected. Judges look like they are more comfortable and at ease when something from 'FS canon' is used: classical piece, warhorse, dramatic piece, the exceptions are when you are rock solid in execution or consistent - therefore I see that all is kind of 'normal'.

For me, it really seems like judges do prefer to see things they're already familiar with, originality, boldness in musical choices, quirk and 'out there' factors are risky, not often used by skaters due to that 'pattern' practised by judges and from reasonable standpoint - for me this is understandable. However, it's a pity we don't see often something unusual/original or when we see it, it is not very well received/rewarded.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

I don´t believe the judges mind the music. Besides, there is a reason why those warhorses have become warhorses :laugh:...

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Try cha cha and samba rhythms more so than rhumbas.

irriya

On the Ice
No please NO! Why can't he keep Shae-Lynn and Jeffrey? I love experiments during Olympic season, but not going back to something that didn't work before!

rumor said Jeffrey would do choreography for SP, and Shae-Lynn and DW are fighting for the LP. They might do the choreography, and Hanyu would make the decision after seeing both programs

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
We might see some Gloria Estefan in the mix. Cause some of her songs have a rhumba rhythm.

would love to see that happen...for my ears, Gloria mixes nicely with Celia Cruz:), whole Gloria Estefan medley would be great too

another nice medleys made out of one artist could be: Selena, Gypsy Kings, Carlos Santana, Thalia...

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
another nice medleys made out of one artist could be: Selena, Gypsy Kings, Carlos Santana, Thalia...
Hurtado/Khaliavin are doing a Carlos Santana SD, but I would not be against some higher level team using his music too.

treeloving

Medalist

For me : why not Jeffrey for both programs? :sad4:

btw, will anyone dare to try Rite of Spring?

Last edited: