2017-2018 Programs by Discipline | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

Barb

Record Breaker
2 years for a program is fine for me

3 years is too much...

now regarding chopin ballade : i have said it before, and i repeat... there is a huge flaw in the musical conception of it : the main lyrical and powerful theme is absent from the music cuts.... the focus on the light waltz theme going directly into the coda just messes up the entire musical progression of the piece... so for me, there are two issues, a third year with the same program, and also, a program who sure is well choreographed, but is not using the essence of the piece.

Here is the first iteration of the main theme

The second and most glorious which would have been amazing in a program

and the last one...

without these, or at least one allusion to this theme, the piece is empty.... very unfortunate.

OMG, soooo true, that was a huge problem for me, I hope he fix it this time.

aynia

On the Ice
I don't mind that Javier Fernandez skates to Charlie Chaplin again - it's one of my favourites. It was fun to watch years ago and with a more challenging content it will be great. ;)

Weathergal

Medalist
Javi has REALLY stayed in his comfort zone for too long now, however I think it may be his last season, so I can understand why he wouldn't want to branch out at this point. Hopefully his FS won't be a Spanish theme, because that's literally all he performs: playful CHaplin/SInatra and Spanish programmers...

There was his wonderful "Black Betty" SP from a few seasons ago. Definitely one of the better rock programs I've seen from the past few years.

I have to admit though that I'm not so thrilled he's bringing back Chaplin, but we'll have to see. I'm more interested in his Spanish-themed FS.

Sometimes I enjoy when skaters embrace their heritage, like when Yuzu did Seimei, one of my favorite programs of his, along with Parisienne Walkways. I don't even care for Parisienne Walkways as a song, but his version was exciting and fresh. I know many people prefer Yuzu's classical programs, and they are quite beautiful. But those two programs are my favorites of his. As for him using the Chopin Ballade a third time, I'm disappointed also. He has so many amazing choreographers who want to work with him - David Wilson, Shae-Lynn Bourne (his best match, I think)... But perhaps he wants to put all his creative energies into his long plus there is SO much focus on his massive technical content that he and/or his team felt this was his best strategy.

sarama

Medalist
I love his Chopin program to death,but I wish he turn chopin to LP instead.:sad21:

I've been thinking the same for a while. Clearly Yuzuru likes a slower music for the FS (understandably) and Chopin fits that bill while also highlighting his interpretation (unlike his POTO or R&J 2.0). And he could have used Let's go crazy again (since it was never clean) or another upbeat music for his SP, because I like his "showman/rockstar" side probably more than his "soulful artist one" and I doubt his FS would be like that and it's a pity that he won't show that quality at the Olympics (and possibly for his last season).
I am not against repeating programs or reusing music if it makes sense, but I really can't see the point in resuming this SP. It has already been skated perfectly, and after a year and a half his interpretation can't be THAT much more mature to make a difference (like it was for Mao's Nocturne), so I really don't get it (like I don't get D/R's Muse FS or Ashley's Hip hip, chin chin and most of this recycling programs trend). Still I hope they all prove me wrong, and have inspiring performances this upcoming season.

Nathan13

Medalist
Did Marchei/Hotarek announce their music anywhere? She said on Insta she would announce it "tomorrow" but that was like 3 days ago...I have high hopes for this team, I think they're very underrated.

andromache

Record Breaker
Yuzuru and classical has just never really clicked for me - I've never understood the hype for his Chopin program. To me, he's at his best when he's skating to more unconventional music. Oh well. Hope the LP isn't a warhorse.

I'd rather see Javi repeat Black Betty, but Chaplin isn't a bad choice. Considering how long ago he did it originally, I think we will see real growth/development. If he's retiring in 2018, it will be lovely seeing him do the same program he did in 2011, which was when he first moved to Orser and began this entire Orser and international success thing (first year he made GPF). I mean, he could've used an even earlier program, but it would've meant not working with David Wilson, and I can see why they didn't want that. Unpolished, raw 2011 Javi who is in the midst of clawing his way slowly to the top Chaplin versus two-time World Champion charisma-oozing polished Chaplin. Those two Chaplins are going to be in entirely different universes - so I am actually really excited for this. Seeing a skater revisit a program after 7 years of development is going to be fascinating.

Edit: Shoot, I wrote all this and posted it. Then went back and watching the 2011 SP. Which is not Chaplin. :laugh: I'm dumb. But for the record, the 2011 SP is masterful. That's what he should be repeating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvQMmN6Upo8

I think I just mentally blocked out the actual 2014 Chaplin LP after the Olympic trauma. Also, Wikipedia lists actual pieces of music instead of just "Chaplin" so I confused myself. Oops!

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thanks to various radar-eared people and a clip posted by the Olympic Winter Institute (Australia), we can reveal:

Brendan KERRY (AUS)
SP: Everybody Wants to Rule The World (Cinematic Pop cover)

I'm listening to this now with goosebumps. Different style to the last few years but this could be really outstanding!

LRK

Record Breaker
Yuzuru and classical has just never really clicked for me - I've never understood the hype for his Chopin program. To me, he's at his best when he's skating to more unconventional music. Oh well. Hope the LP isn't a warhorse.

I'd rather see Javi repeat Black Betty, but Chaplin isn't a bad choice. Considering how long ago he did it originally, I think we will see real growth/development. If he's retiring in 2018, it will be lovely seeing him do the same program he did in 2011, which was when he first moved to Orser and began this entire Orser and international success thing (first year he made GPF). I mean, he could've used an even earlier program, but it would've meant not working with David Wilson, and I can see why they didn't want that. Unpolished, raw 2011 Javi who is in the midst of clawing his way slowly to the top Chaplin versus two-time World Champion charisma-oozing polished Chaplin. Those two Chaplins are going to be in entirely different universes - so I am actually really excited for this. Seeing a skater revisit a program after 7 years of development is going to be fascinating.

Edit: Shoot, I wrote all this and posted it. Then went back and watching the 2011 SP. Which is not Chaplin. :laugh: I'm dumb. But for the record, the 2011 SP is masterful. That's what he should be repeating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvQMmN6Upo8

I think I just mentally blocked out the actual 2014 Chaplin LP after the Olympic trauma. Also, Wikipedia lists actual pieces of music instead of just "Chaplin" so I confused myself. Oops!

Drat! You almost had me convinced about Chaplin!;) - I don't like the idea of truncated Chaplin (as I did not like the idea of truncated Roxanne for Plush - but as an uber I had far more important things to worry about then). I loved that program, and he almost performed it perfectly at Euros:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJz8aKgYmb4

with a little stumble that was quite Chaplin-esque and therefore didn't take away from the program at all. I don't particularly like the notion of the program being chopped and hacked to pieces - obviously, almost two minutes of it will be gone. If they had to reuse it (and I'm not a fan of that idea either), I'd have been happier if they had reused it as a long program, and had a new SP instead. Ah, well...

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Just to make the timeline clear on Javi: he did the Chaplin medley as FS 2012-2013 season, won his first European title with it. This is now going to be an SP and apparently uses only some part of the music from the FS.

I am curious as to what it will be like -
have never liked that FS very much (too many bits and pieces of music in the cut, lots of standing around in the choreo), so I hope for better things...

E

aa456

On the Ice
Can Patrick just skate to 4 seasons now? so we can just say he skated to 4 seasons for 4 seasons!

Procrastinator

On the Ice
Count me in as well as not being a fan of the Chopin redux. I actually really liked Chopin 1.0 because everything was so musically placed, especially the 3A. But Chopin 2.0 rearranged everything to codewhore the jump bonus and nothing seemed musically placed anymore and it was just horrendous.

Plus, I've always been of the opinion that the SP should be something rousing and fast-paced where the skater goes balls to the wall given the short time. Slower, more subtle pieces like lush orchestral themes seem more FS material.

The Javi choice is meh but I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that he doesn't do another 50s/60s debonaire bad boy FS again. But then again, he's perhaps the only top skater mature enough to pull it off (like how Wagner is pretty much the only one who can pull off the "seductress"/flirty character rn)

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
The clips i've seen so far of the hanyu SP are very similar to what he did in the 2nd run. I should expect the jump layout will be different. Considering the relative lack of performance is his last season's programs, this will bring him back to his comfort zone for that, so he can concentrate on getting the technical content right. I also liked the 1.0 best, so will not expect too much of the 3.0...

There is one clip if Javi doing sth that could be the SP, but not having yet seen the whole routine cannot say much. I should expect some reminders of the original FS, but because the music cut is probably different and the elements change, the similarities will most likely be in the transitions and maybe steps.

The FS remains still a complete mystery, but maybe sth will come out in july when the programme will be finished.

But so far the safe bets seem to be dominating music choices over all which is a bit of a drag...

E

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=NayeEXImdy8&a=&app=desktop
Here is Hanyu's full SP from today's show, rink seems very small and feels like lion in a cage, other than that I think I will like this version more, 2 jumping passes in second part fits the climax more, also I like choreo before and after axel more in this version.
I would have liked to see new SP more but I support his decision, in his interviews he sounds like his main aim this season will be consistency as he analysed Russian strategy and Evgenia's consistency in his recent interview with Ice Jewel magazine.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Can Patrick just skate to 4 seasons now? so we can just say he skated to 4 seasons for 4 seasons!

at least, when Patrick decided on the 4 seasons for his olympic season, it became a completely new program, with new music added to it.... so the 2013-14 version was very different from junior years Patrick (2006-07 when he first did 4 seasons)... I think revamping a program 5-6 years after, changing the music, can be interesting... When I first saw the 4 seasons, 2013-14, it took me a while to remember he had skated on it years ago.... ymmv

breadstal

Record Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=NayeEXImdy8&a=&app=desktop
Here is Hanyu's full SP from today's show, rink seems very small and feels like lion in a cage, other than that I think I will like this version more, 2 jumping passes in second part fits the climax more, also I like choreo before and after axel more in this version.
I would have liked to see new SP more but I support his decision, in his interviews he sounds like his main aim this season will be consistency as he analysed Russian strategy and Evgenia's consistency in his recent interview with Ice Jewel magazine.

Is there translation of this interview?

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Is there translation of this interview?

The magazine will be officially out soon, It was given to Makuhari audience a bit earlier , some of them read and summed up snippets from it. I believe someone will translate full thing in these days.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I don't mind that Javier Fernandez skates to Charlie Chaplin again - it's one of my favourites. It was fun to watch years ago and with a more challenging content it will be great. ;)

I totally agree. Besides, if he had repeated the Chaplin freeskate I might have felt a little bit differently, but have nothing against it as a sp....