Ksenia Konkina & Grigory Yakushev | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ksenia Konkina & Grigory Yakushev

The Finn

Record Breaker
I guess things didn't work out with Diana Avaz bacause now it is rumored that he has decided to retire. I hope that it isn't true, or his retirement doesn't last long, because I always saw great potential in him.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
omg i hope this isn't true, he was like the best junior Russian dancer last year. So so promising. Tbh i'm kinda baffled that him or Pavel Drozd who are obvious amazing talents not paired better.

The Finn

Record Breaker
Konkina / Vakhnov has been assigned to JGP Canada. They will make an interesting team and it will be very interesting to see how they will look. Despite being a new team they could even make it to the JGP Final. Someone should make a thread for them.

The Finn

Record Breaker
New video interview of Konkina / Vakhnov.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hn9RSU2Et8

Short summary about what was said.

briefly: how to create a pair - Xenia and Grisha parted as a sports unit by mutual decision, growth became critical, for a while skating alone. The PV situation is different - there, according to Alexander, Sonya had a conflict with Lyapina, she offered to change the coach, Sasha refused, eventually Sonya left, Vakhnov for a while skated alone, then learned that Xenia was free and called her. Tried in both groups - Gorshkova and Lyapina, decided to skate with Lyapina.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
The Finn - Thank you. Is it only me, or he does not seem as fast and agile next to her?

The Finn

Record Breaker
Both of them looked good to me.

By the way, I fixed the link. For some reason it no longer started at the right mark.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
They look fantastic especially being together such a short time. Best of luck in Canada!

The Finn

Record Breaker
They did well today and they won the competition by about 9 or 10 points. I would have included their FD here just like I did yesterday with their RD but the long video was banned.

The Finn

Record Breaker
From Ksenia Monko's insta pic https://pp.userapi.com/c844521/v844521564/e642f/oWbujjRn_10.jpg
K/V got 159,63 65.70 for theirs RD
Here is their FD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEyp9XI-qEc
They did a good job fighting for the JGP now we can only wait for other's results

I am sure they will skate great at JGP Canada and I am very confident that they will get 2nd JGP event. If everything would go really well I can see them fighting over the last JGP Final spot with Shanaeva / Naryzhnyy and others.

It is great that TulupRu has uploaded all those videos. I wasn't sure if all the videos would be eventually uploaded which is why I kept switching between Open Moscow Championships stream and Saint Petersburg Cup stream. Still ended up missing some skaters.

Lana05

Final Flight
I wanted silver for them but A. Vakhnov cut his had and this affected their FD so they lost points and became only 3rd behind Ivanenko/Karpov
So probably no 2nd JGP for them
There was SO MUCH BLOOD...
:sad21:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I wanted silver for them but A. Vakhnov cut his had and this affected their FD so they lost points and became only 3rd behind Ivanenko/Karpov

Their score was higher than Kuts/Mikhailov, who currently have a 2nd JGP with a 3rd. So I think it depends on whether Davis/Smolkin keep their assignment. If they do, then Ivanenko/Karpov will probably get Kuts/Mikhailov's 2nd spot and K/V will be out of luck. If they decide to pull D/S, then there is room for both I/K and K/V to get a 2nd.

The Finn

Record Breaker
Their score was higher than Kuts/Mikhailov, who currently have a 2nd JGP with a 3rd. So I think it depends on whether Davis/Smolkin keep their assignment. If they do, then Ivanenko/Karpov will probably get Kuts/Mikhailov's 2nd spot and K/V will be out of luck. If they decide to pull D/S, then there is room for both I/K and K/V to get a 2nd.

If Davis / Smolkin will keep their spot then it will be 100% political selection and 0% about how they have skated. That is because they lost to Tyutyunina / Shustitskiy by about 10 points recently and at the 1st Rusian Cup they lost to Lazareva / Prokofiev by 13 points. Even totally new team of Havronina / Chirizano beat them by 7 points at the 1st Russian Cup event.

The Finn

Record Breaker

Yeah, figure skating can be a dangerous sport.

Hopefully, Davis / Smolkin wil not get politically arranged JGP spot and we will see the best remaining two teams, meaning both Ivanenko / Karpov and Konkina / Vakhnov, getting a 2nd JGP event.

The Finn

Record Breaker
When speculating about who could possible replace Davis / Smolkin at the 5th JGP event and Kuts / Mikhailov at the 7th JGP event one should remember that Ivanenko / Karpov and Konkina / Vakhnov are not the only ones who could get those spots. That is because Tyutyunina / Shustitskiy held JGP Canada spot for a while but then they were replaced by Ivanenko / Karpov who had lost their original spot to Khudaiberdieva / Nazarov. This should mean that Fed would be willing to give T/S a JGP spot if they can find one which isn't easy because there are so many very good Russian teams out there. Tyutyunina / Shustitskiy did very well at their 1st domestic competition and obviously they did well at the test skate event because they were assigned to JGP Canada in the first place. One more team who could in theory replace Davis / Smolkin is Lazareva / Prokofiev who did very well at the 1st Russian Cup event.

The way I see it is that Ivanenko / Karpov will get one of those spots because they have JGP silver. Who will get the other spot will depend on what are the dominant factors behind selection. If the factors are purely political then Davis / Smolkin will make their JGP debut but if the factors are related results then maybe Konkina / Vakhnov will get it but it could also be Tyutyunina / Shustitskiy. I doubt that neither Kuts / Mikhailov nor Lazareva / Prokofiev would get the last spot but we will have to wait and see how it goes.

The Finn

Record Breaker
If the factors are purely political then Davis / Smolkin will make their JGP debut

Russian Fed has made no changes, so, it definitely seems like Political factors are the most dominant here which is no surprise obviously. They still could make changes for their 5th event assignments but I highly doubt they will.

There is still one open spot left at the 7th event but I doubt Konkina/Vakhnov would get that spot either.

The Finn

Record Breaker
For some reason there seem to be no videos of Konkina/Vakhnov's 3rd Russian Cup event programs but they placed 2nd there. Maybe a bit surprisingly they were beaten by Kuts/Mikhailov by both in RD and FD.