FS proselytism | Page 4 | Golden Skate

FS proselytism

notunprepared

On the Ice
After Skate America, I was at a lunch with friends, and they asked about why I wasn't at another thing that weekend. So I told them I was watching figure skating and they were all like "ugggh boring". But then I told them about Daniel Samohin and Adam's dislocations, and how Adam popped his shoulder back in and went on to skate almost flawlessly.

They were actually really impressed. So injuries, while terrible, can help with people seeing it as a more legit sport.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
When I show my friends some falls (especially the hard ones) they are so impressed. Sad, but true.

The most effective programs that blew all of them away is Papadakis/Cizeron "Build a home". I got 4 minutes of silence and then a loud "WOOOOOW".

Yuzuru Hanyu "Seimei" from NHK Trophy 2015 is very effective too, especially with male friends who think that "it's so damn impressive".

Next time I'll try showing Sui/Han "Bridge over troubled water" because it has the dance flair to it and the impressive lifts/jumps. That one could be a hit.

tyrion14

Spectator
Some opinions/musings from my friends who were forced to watch the GP series with me this semester:

Favorites: Medvedeva, Kostner, Miyahara, Honda, Higuchi, Radionova, Fernandez, James/Cipres, Duhamel/Radford, Papadakis/Cizeron

Least favorites: Zagitova (don't understand TES), Sotskova ("too boring"), Osmond ("looks too cocky")

Many of my friends LOVE Honda. Also, they think Kostner should win everything (they were upset during GPF when I explained her tech deficiencies).

A lot of them dislike how Zagitova/Trusova won everything so far and they generally don't enjoy skaters who deliberately backload or use tano/rippon to gain TES (besides Medvedeva), especially if they are still able to win after making mistakes.

They appreciated when a skater did something different in terms of programs (e.g. James/Cipres, Tuktamysheva) and they disliked the excess use of Libertango.

Final note: Many of them gasp when a skater uses a half-loop combo because they think it's a mistake :laugh: