FS proselytism | Page 3 | Golden Skate

FS proselytism

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Not sure if this should go here, but I showed my friend Tsurskaya's SP and she showed me the actual Light of the Seven scene... :slink:

Jennifer Lyon

On the Ice
I've found that one key to successful skating proselytism is to focus on family members and friends who are already interested in a related discipline-- dance, gymnastics, performing arts in general. Do you have a neighbor who loves Dancing With The Stars? Or how about that old pal from high school who was really into Michael Jackson videos?

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
A girl in my English class is writing an essay on East of Eden and timshel, so I sent her videos of Tatsuki Machida and Michelle Kwan.

temadd

Final Flight
I live in California where people look at me like I'm some sort of alien for watching figure skating. Nobody here even watches the winter Olympics. I have failed at converting anyone but recently found out that a friend (she's originally from Minnesota) loves fs! And better yet is going to Nationals with me.

anyanka

Record Breaker
There is an incantation I invoke: I just play any free dance from the last three years featuring Papadakis / Cizeron. Everyone is mesmerized by it. And for my gay friends, they are all madly in love with Guillaume now. Whatever works, right? ;)

Manitou

Medalist
Today a small miracle happened. My boyfriend doesn't care AT ALL about FS and he usually doesn't show a lot of appreciation when I try to make him watch programs (to understand the kind of person, last week he commented that V/M programs "were boring":slink:...he is a good guy overall, though!). Today I had him watch S/H short program and he declared that it was by far the best program I ever forced him to watch and that he actually enjoyed it a lot! Now, of course, I'm lighting candles for S/H olympic gold (I was already a huge fan of them since their junior years) and in the meantime I wonder: have you ever tried to get somebody interested in figure skating and which programs did you use? Did you succeed or not?

Show him Shavchenko/Massot exhibition and Chock/Bates exhibition from Nagoya. They are the most entertaining ex programs I have watched recently.

lappo

Final Flight
Show him Shavchenko/Massot exhibition and Chock/Bates exhibition from Nagoya. They are the most entertaining ex programs I have watched recently.

I showed him both S/M competitive programs at Nagoya and he liked them a lot. On the other hand, he doesn't like ice dance (the lack of tricks...) even though the only program he ever rewatched in my absence and without me pushing him is C/L ex from Boston, which was very enjoyable. Thanks for the advice, I'll try!

RobinA

On the Ice
Husband came along for 2003 Worlds. Brought a cross-word puzzle. Was enamored with Shen Xue / Zhao Hongbo LP (Turandot)! It really was a very special moment for both skaters as she had injured herself.
https://youtu.be/PYuRHZMNCeE

Oh my gosh, I was there. I will never forget it. People on their feet just screaming. Only thing that came close was Michelle winning Nationals in 1998. I hope I see another figure skating moment like DC, but I kinda doubt it. Skating isn’t the same as it was then.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Sadly, my family is not at all interested. I tried in vain, showing them Jason Brown's Riverdance, or Laurent Tobel when he was competing. My husband couldn't care less. My son does figure skating, but never watches figure skating on TV or computer. He liked Tobel, but that was all. I don't think he was impressed by Jason Brown as he looked like slightly bored and waiting to go away. I've been alone at Skate Canada, and so it goes. It's quite bad being a lonely wolf.

Makkachin

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Yes and yes. My boyfriend has become interested in watching skating over the years and the resulting commentary has been hilarious. A few select quotes from recent discussions:

While discussing how some skaters go for high level of difficulty and include their hardest jumps in their programs and others only include jumps they can execute well, after explaining that higher difficulty jumps have higher point value: "I don't understand why everyone doesn't just do the most difficult stuff possible."

While discussing whether it's fair that a fall on a quad jump can still be worth more points than a well-executed triple: "I think that perfectly executed jumps should be worth more than botched jumps...but like, childs play jumps should be worth about the same as botched quads. Like make those two cases be worth .5 and the perfect triples worth 2. Or 3. And quads worth 4." :think::rofl:

I then explained that for example a 3sal is worth 4.4 and 4sal is 10.5 and he was lost.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Sadly, my family is not at all interested. I tried in vain, showing them Jason Brown's Riverdance, or Laurent Tobel when he was competing. My husband couldn't care less. My son does figure skating, but never watches figure skating on TV or computer. He liked Tobel, but that was all. I don't think he was impressed by Jason Brown as he looked like slightly bored and waiting to go away. I've been alone at Skate Canada, and so it goes. It's quite bad being a lonely wolf.

Sometimes it's better to be a lone wolf! I went to two world championships with a friend who ended up fangirling over one particular skater rather than developing an overall interest in skating. She can tell anyone he was the first to do a particular jump, but ask her to identify that jump in competition? Nope! I'm looking forward to a solo 14,000 mile round trip to Vancouver by myself for the GP Finals next year if I can get good seats!

In answer to the original post, I do try to occasionally point out things to my other half and tend to focus on the strong and dramatic when I do so - I think even he can identify a S/M twist lift now! But it's a losing battle so often in Ireland to try to get anyone interested in skating. And then there's the other side of the coin in that people then tend to send me viral clips of well known routines because they know I love skating. I'm polite every time someone posts Sex Bomb to my timeline on FB even though I inwardly scream at seeing one of my least favourite skaters doing one of my least favourite routines again.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Just an extra little thought to above post, I wish I could get my brother to watch skating. He's one of those guys who watches five minutes of a sport and becomes and insta-expert. It would be hilarious to hear him. And he'd insist he was right. But that would involve extended conversations with my brother and I'm not sure that would be advisable for either of us!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I went to Sk Can, and for some reason my sister (who has never liked skating) wanted to come too. I told her there might not be a whole lot to do in Regina, but she wanted to come (probably because she loves Canada). While I was at the rink one day, she watched at the hotel on TV. I returned to many questions. My favorites were "How do they score the ice dancing?" and "How do they get such high scores if they fall?" :laugh2: Sure! Give me a minute or two and I'll explain! :laugh: But I AM excited that she now plans to watch skating during the Olympics.

girl in red

Rinkside
well i became a fan of fs (and i thank god for that-fs world has brought so many beautiful moments in my life)when i first saw yulia lipnitskaia during the 2014 european championships.Then i managed to draw my sister into it by showing her nikita s and elena s black swan program(those were the days!!!).After that we both became super skating fans(aka obsessed)because we looooved ice dance.Since then we try to introduce friends to fs by mainly showing them yuzuru hanyu(for the ones that need a good show),patrick chan(more for the free spirits),yulia lipnitskaia(workes incredibily with moms),a lot of ice dance and the most effective method so far...a lot of sui and han!Recently i showed one of my friends bridge over troubled water lp and she was begging me to show her more performances of the pair and of course i did as i really like explainig all the technical aspects!It makes me look super smart and i can help it but enjoy it:biggrin:

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sometimes it's better to be a lone wolf! I went to two world championships with a friend who ended up fangirling over one particular skater rather than developing an overall interest in skating. She can tell anyone he was the first to do a particular jump, but ask her to identify that jump in competition? Nope! I'm looking forward to a solo 14,000 mile round trip to Vancouver by myself for the GP Finals next year if I can get good seats!

In answer to the original post, I do try to occasionally point out things to my other half and tend to focus on the strong and dramatic when I do so - I think even he can identify a S/M twist lift now! But it's a losing battle so often in Ireland to try to get anyone interested in skating. And then there's the other side of the coin in that people then tend to send me viral clips of well known routines because they know I love skating. I'm polite every time someone posts Sex Bomb to my timeline on FB even though I inwardly scream at seeing one of my least favourite skaters doing one of my least favourite routines again.

One of my cousins just sent this to me and I had the same reactions, ha ha. The program Is just not my taste. I much prefer his numbers with Edward Martin instead.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I remember watching Annissina&Peizerat Olympic 2002 gala as a child when i was immediately attracted by FS. I suppose some Gala programmes can be a good start for FS beginners. Pairs are doing good tricks on Gala which can be attractive to the casual viewers... as some character's programmes (Z/G Zombie programme, Candeloro's D'Artagnan)... as some individual skaters elements - Lambiel and Julia spins, Zagitova's jump by jump sequence with arms variations, Bonalys back flips, Pechalat/Bourzat balance lift etc etc

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I remember watching Annissina&Peizerat Olympic 2002 gala as a child when i was immediately attracted by FS. I suppose some Gala programmes can be a good start for FS beginners. Pairs are doing good tricks on Gala which can be attractive to the casual viewers... as some character's programmes (Z/G Zombie programme, Candeloro's D'Artagnan)... as some individual skaters elements - Lambiel and Julia spins, Zagitova's jumps with arms variations, Bonalys back flips, Pechalat/Bourzat balance lift etc etc

''Susanna, Susanna ...'' :luv17: This song also brings back some other fond (earlier) childhood memories for me so watching that has a doubled effect on me :agree: I absolutely loved this exhibition and they were the ones who drawn me very strong into Figure Skating somewhere in 1997/1998 season.

sarahjane

Rinkside
I remember after that Shen/Zhao win that everyone on the Metro from the arena were talking about it, waving their hands around, and even humming the music. Many of us still had tears of joy in our eyes. Ordinary citizens of DC who entered our car were completely confused!