2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Men - FS | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Men - FS

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
The article is new. But the quote is not recent. They cited something he said years ago~~

Ok lets say he said it two years ago, three years ago. It still shows who Patrick is. The point is, as far as I am concerned, that attitude is what was his downfall. His superiority has always stopped him from accepting new skaters who were advancing, in many ways. He was the one and only. It's a pity, as he got left behind but in the end, he paid for it.

lutzskate

On the Ice
Can someone tell me why Nam said his last two years have been hell? 😰 I was very sad and disappointed for him.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since Tracy Wilson said, "I’d rather watch what Elladj put out there than many soulless four quad programs in competition, in sport any day of the week"; why not have a real competition for the likes of Jason, Adam, Patrick and others who can't DO a "soulless four quad program" and call it a Pro competition like before!

When Evan won the GOLD without a quad, people like Elvis S was crying the sport is not heading in the right direction that it has to evolve... Then, we're in awe of one or two-quad programs delivered so effortlessly by the likes of Patrick and Hanyu and people say they were the greatest of all time. That was then.

Today is 2018 and the standard is much higher NOW than the two-quads before and people like Tracy says we should go back and enjoy the OLD ways of enjoying a program. Which way should we go?

I thought I was the one who said soulless???? Did Tracy steal my words.:laugh:

I do not consider more quads to be a "higher standard". I do not consider more quads to be a NEW way of enjoying a program. I do not consider more quads to be the "future", to be progress, or be moving forward.

So I know which way I would like to go. With programs with better spins, better footwork, more choreo and more performance. The *real* moving forward.:agree:

With Elladj Balde. And when he puts his heart into it, PChiddy. And Adam and Jason too.

YMMV, but yours is not the only definition of evolving or progress.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
He went though multiple growth sprouts, coaching changes, so much~

......beginning and ending first love, relocations, training frustrations and disappointing competition results despite all his invested effort.... all these after an early life of easy successes. Imagine how hard it must have been for him.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Ice is so slippery and anything can happen. I can't say I'm a fan of Keegan's skating, but considering what Keegan has been through, his achievement today is totally inspiring. I'd never imagined of him being considered for going to Olympics three years ago because of his total bomb like a wreck at Skate Canada where he appeared as a Canadian skater for the first time. I forgot about him after that but when I played a game in the Café on GS, our fellow GS contributor, iluvtodd reminded me of Keegan by saying she loved Keegan's program skating to "It always brighter on the other side" from Monty Python. The music was indeed used for his SP at Skate Canada during the 2015-16 season but I totally forgot about it and only remembered his failure. It is a good song and encourages people to stay positive even if you're in a trouble. Since then whenever I see Keegan, I relate Keegan with the optimistic song. Now he stands on a brighter side of his life after long struggles, so I'm glad for him. I hope he gets chosen for the Olympic team along with Patrick because he deserves it. :)

thoakun

Final Flight
I'm looking forward to seeing Nam at 4CC. I feel like he has become more driven and finally taken charge of his career direction. If he is sent to Korea, I'll probably get to watch the Olympics on the TV legally but Keegan has been consistent and doing reasonably well this whole season 😅.

lutzskate

On the Ice
Sorry, I have been out of the loop in recent years, after having a baby. What has Keegan been through that makes his placement today inspiring?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I used to love the KD Lang (still do) version and complain whenever my parents played Leonard Cohen's versions of his songs, but now I'm all about Cohen songs sung by the man himself. So much weight to it. I have his last album "I Want It Darker" on my phone. Something special.

SnowWhite is of course correct. Leonard Cohen songs are always sang best by the man, the myth, the legend himself. For me his version of Suzanne is just.. I don't know but a sort of out of body experience. And dance me to end of love is pretty much the best ever.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Far be it for me to defend Patrick but he is obviously referencing a famous Michael Jordon quote about failing:

I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. Twenty six times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life.

And I see Violet Bliss already pointed this out. Sorry for the repeat.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Eliadj.. Love him. Have loved him for a long time. So happy for him to get this moment. May he have a great future in whatever he does.

I thought Patrick was lovely. Not there technically but lovely on the blade, lovely feet and hands and expression.

Also happy to see Nam skate well. Good job. I hope this is just his new norm.

Keegan seems like such a nice guy. Such sportsmanship and obviously going to the Olympics really matters to him.

tung

Rinkside
Patrick trains for long time in the States, almost from a teenager onwards, in Florida, then in the Rockies Foothill city, then in Detroit City. His coaches were America based or Americans.

Not to mention his immediate family members and friends, in America, most of them, and citizens of that nation.

He is almost more American, than Canadian, in value and outlook, if there is any major difference between the two nations, at all.

It is natural as daylight, for him to use Michael Jordan as a comparison, to his own skating mistakes. He does not know that figure skating is a 'freak' sports in the money media filled world of sports in North America, and the States, and that it ranks very low in the media hierachy.

Even in Canada, where he has reigned for ten years, very few ordinary citizens know about him.

But for the young man, to realize that he is almost 'nothing' beside the multi-billionare Jordan, and to accept that hard fact, is way beyond his ordinary and innate self-respect ego structure, a structure which all atheletes, really relies on, especially in the sports where an elite athelete has to be blessed with the innate inborn talent of balancing on a quarter inch wide steel blade, doing all the difficult moves, over the years of hard day to day training regiments/ordeal has to have, to survive. He cannot think, for example, for a split second, that he is nothing, in comparison to the Great American Hero Michael Jordan, to assuage all the Basketball Fans in America........

Patrick, like all serious atheletes, has to Believe, That he is Doing the Right and Noble Thing, trying to be the best Figure Skater in his field, and not comparing himself, in monetary financial rewards, fame, and even respect, to other more rewarding Mass Media Heroes.......

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
A very haunting, lost in the wilderness kind of program. I’m glad he could achieve the 10th title as a fitting end to his career. But we’ll be on pins and needles for the team competition.

Kevin skated really strong in Helsinki so I’ll take that as his farewell.

Thrilled for Keegan and Elladj and agree with Tracy and Rod about how enjoyable their style of skating is.

Tough break for Nam but I wish he hadn’t gone back to that program.

We'll be on pins and needles for the team competition? :devil: You can't speak for everyone. Depends on the person and its nationality :devil: Jokes aside I wish Patrick to skate in a way that he'll be satisfied from and enjoy himself in Pyeong Chang ..

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
So happy for Keegan and for Ellajd. Well done! Congrats to them both and to Nam. Personally, I think the most important goal for Patrick was to become Canada's 10 time Men's champion. I'm not sure if the Olympics are that important to him anymore, he's been there a couple of times. It will be thrilling for Keegan, I'm sure. As much as I love Patrick's skating I just don't think his "heart" has been in it for quite some time. Who knows? I could be wrong.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Patrick trains for long time in the States, almost from a teenager onwards, in Florida, then in the Rockies Foothill city, then in Detroit City. His coaches were America based or Americans.

Not to mention his immediate family members and friends, in America, most of them, and citizens of that nation.

He is almost more American, than Canadian, in value and outlook, if there is any major difference between the two nations, at all.

It is natural as daylight, for him to use Michael Jordan as a comparison, to his own skating mistakes. He does not know that figure skating is a 'freak' sports in the money media filled world of sports in North America, and the States, and that it ranks very low in the media hierachy.

Even in Canada, where he has reigned for ten years, very few ordinary citizens know about him.

But for the young man, to realize that he is almost 'nothing' beside the multi-billionare Jordan, and to accept that hard fact, is way beyond his ordinary and innate self-respect ego structure, a structure which all atheletes, really relies on, especially in the sports where an elite athelete has to be blessed with the innate inborn talent of balancing on a quarter inch wide steel blade, doing all the difficult moves, over the years of hard day to day training regiments/ordeal has to have, to survive. He cannot think, for example, for a split second, that he is nothing, in comparison to the Great American Hero Michael Jordan, to assuage all the Basketball Fans in America........

Patrick, like all serious atheletes, has to Believe, That he is Doing the Right and Noble Thing, trying to be the best Figure Skater in his field, and not comparing himself, in monetary financial rewards, fame, and even respect, to other more rewarding Mass Media Heroes.......

Are you perhaps thinking of Nathan Chen? He is definitely an American. Whereas, Patrick Chan was born in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada which makes Patrick Canadian. His parents did immigrate here from Hong Kong, but Patrick is a Canadian citizen. As for his skating coaches he's trained with some of the best Canadian coaches. In fact he started out with Osborne Colson, who was a Canadian champion himself in 1933 and 1936 and 1937 and was the silver medalist in 1931 and 1932. As for Patrick not being known in Canada, all I have to say is, he is a house hold name in the Figure Skating and Sports world in Canada, pretty much every one across Canada has heard the name Patrick Chan and men's figure skating champion.

check this info out on Patrick.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Chan

kresslia

Medalist
Re: "very few" ordinary citizens knowing Patrick...

I unfortunately cannot find the article now, but I remember prior to Sochi, Patrick (along with V/M) was named one of the most well-known Canadian athletes at the Games. I think 80% of those polled in Canada knew him? Around that. He was either the most well known or one of the top couple most well known.

As Ladskater said, he is something of a household name in Canada. Same with V/M.