2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Men - FS | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Men - FS

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well whoever's job it is to convince Patrick to continue skating after retirement better get on it! :pray: I can still see him doing so many interesting things on the ice when the jumps are not an issue. I still think he has another level to aspire to artistically. I would love to see him do some more character driven pieces for example

I think there will be plenty of opportunities. Jeremy Abbott has gotten to do some inspired work since leaving competitive skating, so I expect Patrick will get to do the same.

Nocturne

On the Ice
He's Michael Jordan of figure skating.
I mean ... I wish he was a bit more graceful in victory but then, he is who he is. IMO it's the cause of his downfall anyway so I guess in the end, he hurt himself the most. I'm still glad he won tonight.

He did NOT say that. There was nothing arrogant about his words in any way. He used Micheal Jordan as a reverence that even he wasnt always flawless, but in the end that doesnt matter when looking at the whole career/accomplishments. More meant as "everybody makes mistakes". He meant his FS wasnt perfect but he still achieved something great with it: a 10th National title.

He did not claim to be THE beste figure skater ever or the aquivalent of Micheal Jordan in FS. He was answering a question about his record achievement of 10 titles and acknowliged that he wasnt perfect while doing so, but in the end that doesnt matter because you can achieve something good even with mistakes because everybody does them and it's only human. Of course he didnt explain it that long since that should not be neccessary anyway.

People should stop looking for bad things whenever he opens his mouth...

slider11

Medalist
ugghh....I am not Canadian but am emotionally drained from their championships. My bright spot is Weaver and Poje pulling out a strong FD after the poor SD. Other than that, my favorites Kaitlyn, Lubov and Dylan and Patrick did not have stellar days. At least Kaitlyn and Patrick have the Olympics. Unless a miracle happens, no Olys for Luba and Dylan.

Nena

Rinkside
Patrick did say this in an earlier interview

“I’ve kind of lived the bridge between these two generations of skaters,” Chan said. “I hope I can just be one of those skaters who’s a bit of a Switzerland, right in the middle, and can show the benefits of a very technically sound skater and also a very artistically sound skater. I think that’s where my strengths lie. I know that nobody can do that. I’m the only skater that can offer that. I may be the last.

I think that is pretty arrogant.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm glad to enjoy Canadians from the comfort of home after an emotion-packed U.S. nationals last week. Still a lot of feelings after watching tonight! Thanks all for making it fun. :)

jFarrisFAN

On the Ice
I'm so sad for nam. He was much better than Keegan AND they didn't call Keegan's 2Lo under rotated on the 3A2T2Lo.

GGFan

Record Breaker
My final word on Michael Jordan: can someone just whisper in Patrick's ear to just not bring his name up. It just shows a very limited understanding of sports. It's not about titles or anything: Michael was just the ultimate competitor (someone who was clutch to the power of 10) so it's not a comparison that works to Patrick's favor. I'm just thinking about him here :dev2:

ETA: Tim Duncan or another player known for having great fundamentals would be much more accurate.

CAS

On the Ice
Patrick has one competition left so I think those who are bothered by his interviews should just take comfort in the fact it will all be over soon.

shyne

Final Flight
Patrick did say this in an earlier interview

“I’ve kind of lived the bridge between these two generations of skaters,” Chan said. “I hope I can just be one of those skaters who’s a bit of a Switzerland, right in the middle, and can show the benefits of a very technically sound skater and also a very artistically sound skater. I think that’s where my strengths lie. I know that nobody can do that. I’m the only skater that can offer that. I may be the last.

I think that is pretty arrogant.

I don't think this is from a recent article.

CAS

On the Ice
I have never heard of Tim Duncan so that comparison wouldn't have helped me at all ;)

GGFan

Record Breaker
Nice to see that along with Patrick, Elladj, Keegan and Liam got good PCS :thumbsup:

evasorange

Final Flight
Lol Ashley complains about the scores for only herself, has nothing but positive things to say about her competitors, gets torn apart and gets called just about every variation of "spoiled brat" you can think of. Patrick, for years consistently hypes himself up(you only compare yourself to Michael freaking Jourdan for one reason only-to imply your the best) and then proceeds to, a lot of times by specific name, put down and demean his competitors-"he doesn't mean anything by it! He just doesn't know how to express himself well!" Oh to be a man in this world! Anyways I'm not surprised to see him on the team but i was very curious to see who got that second spot! Good for you Keegan! I actually kinda like his Charlie Chaplin lp, he pulls off the jaunty charm of it well. Man I wish the Olympic channel had found an hour or two to devote to this sounds like a lot of drama went down!

bixby

Final Flight
Since Tracy Wilson said, "I’d rather watch what Elladj put out there than many soulless four quad programs in competition, in sport any day of the week"; why not have a real competition for the likes of Jason, Adam, Patrick and others who can't DO a "soulless four quad program" and call it a Pro competition like before!

When Evan won the GOLD without a quad, people like Elvis S was crying the sport is not heading in the right direction that it has to evolve... Then, we're in awe of one or two-quad programs delivered so effortlessly by the likes of Patrick and Hanyu and people say they were the greatest of all time. That was then.

Today is 2018 and the standard is much higher NOW than the two-quads before and people like Tracy says we should go back and enjoy the OLD ways of enjoying a program. Which way should we go?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
One of Michael Jordan's most famous quotes is

“I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”

I'm not a real fan of Jordan but I know this because it's often quoted for motivation. Many extremely successful sports persons have said similar things.

Patrick brought up Jordan, after admitting his not so great performance tonight, to examplify that even the greatest aren't perfect and they make their shares of mistakes. It's something he can take comfort in after a subpar performance. At this stage of his career, he can relax about "perfection" and knows he has earned the lifetime achievement award.