2018 Olympic Figure Skating Short Dance | Page 82 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Short Dance

slider11

Medalist
So can anyone argue that the Shibs had the best twizzles last night? Yet one judge gave them a 2. Really! It's one element but the judging really was a roller coaster ride last night. The tech panel is particularly inconsistent. After being so stringent during the team event, it seems that at the beginning of the individual SD everyone was getting levels 3 and 4s, and these are the lesser teams. But then suddenly in the last 2 groups the microscopes came out (Shibs) and other times the tech panel seemed to blink at the wrong time (Tessa).

I am good with V/M and P/C being 1-2. But I think the Shibs should have a 2 point lead as 3rd and I'm not convinced that 4th (which is really 3rd) should be Hubbell and Donahue. Honestly, I preferred Anna/Luca and even Piper and Paul to Madison and Zach. Apparently that national title is swaying the judges along with their sexy, hippy style.

Going for my podium tonight: P/C; V/M; Shibs

slider11

Medalist
Honestly, I think that Morozov is so shunned by much of the skating world that W/P's scores have suffered. I guess they wanted a jolt to their performance to help them get back on the podium but their coaching choice was poor. BUT I can't wait for Je Suis Malade! Of course NM will take credit for their masterpiece and maybe it will put them 4th or 5th depending on how the others do. They are still one of my favorites!

alpaca

On the Ice
I think we all sometimes need to remember to enjoy and watch figure skating for its beautiful performances and appreciation for skating and forget about some of the technical stuff for a while because watching all this arguing sometimes drives me over the edge. While I definitely don't agree with some of the scores for the skates actually throughout all the skating events of the Olympics so far (how many world records or olympic records or personal bests have we broken so far?? Some of them are truly deserved like S/M but others are some seriously iffy stuff) I feel like we sometimes take this as a personal issue with the skaters and forget it's not their fault; it's a judging system that needs some serious reform. I can't wait for the FS tonight and I hope all the teams skate cleanly and well! All the best to everyone!! :hap85:

yuna13

On the Ice
puting my broken heart aside, i'm really happy that the americains teams and the italians are in the game for a medal. 4 years ago P/B and others didn't stand a chance against the russians. tonight anything can happen in a sport where everything was so predictable it's a good thing. we are all going to be out of breath for one hour. good thing my mum used to be a nurse.:)

Blondie12

On the Ice
The whole thing smell bad. A costume malfunction at the olys of all places before you go out to skate your short program humm. Has that ever happened to the French team before.

It distracted me the whole time because I thought it was going to go down and she would have flashed the whole world. I had to rewatch the dance in order to pay attention to the actual dance. They did a good dance regardless but they did mess up the twizzles. No way should they have been given those scores there - to a lay viewer that was a very obvious mistake that none of the other top teams had (they may have had mistakes but none so obvious to the lay viewer). A lay viewer would be confused why they are in second (indeed, even a seasoned viewer would be surprised by the small point difference).

On one hand, it's not fair to the french team to basically give up a gold medal because of a wardrobe malfunction. On other hand, V/M were simply better - and they did not have obvious errors. The olympics is not the time to say "oh, you had something happen beyond your control, we won't deduct so much." That's simply wrong. Moreover, they had to know it might be a problem if they were literally sewing things on at the day of competition. The other dancers had costumes where that would clearly not be a problem; they took a risk with that costume and it did not pay off. The other teams mostly V/M should not have to pay for it with a gold medal simply because something happened beyond THEIR control.

If they skate clean tonight they win since the judges are showing a clear signal. I could see them winning if they outskate V/M by 4-5 points - if they do they deserve the gold. But if they outskate by barely 2-no, sorry, I don't think they desrve that gold medal. Nathan Chen showed us that this is simply not a long program - the short program counts too and if V/M skate to their potential tonight it seems ridiculous to deny them that gold or to fudge with points to give it to the french. Both are great teams but if they both skate lights out tonight, V/M skated better in BOTH programs.

Controversy in ice dancing, what else is new?

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I am good with V/M and P/C being 1-2. But I think the Shibs should have a 2 point lead as 3rd and I'm not convinced that 4th (which is really 3rd) should be Hubbell and Donahue. Honestly, I preferred Anna/Luca and even Piper and Paul to Madison and Zach. Apparently that national title is swaying the judges along with their sexy, hippy style.

I don't think Piper and Paul ever stand a chance of getting PCS comparable to the top teams unless they start showing up with level 4s on everything every time for at least a season. Interestingly, Kaitlyn and Andrew's PCS have also dropped in comparison to everyone else. Is the weak couple of seasons they've had so far to blame here? Anna and Luca are still in position to challenge for the podium, so at least a Gadbois sweep doesn't look predetermined yet :D

Blondie12

On the Ice
Serioulsy I wonder how she did keep it up? Was it secured on the sides so the collar opening up did not matter? It was sheer perhaps so maybe it was not as bad as it looked.I think there was straps back there that helped her.

On tv, it looked like if it feel down she would flash everyone but perhaps there was more material that was sheer that prevented that from happening - the strap in the back maybe. The other alternative is that they somehow held that up; if so well, maybe they would deserve that gold medal because I don't know how she could have held that up.

Blondie12

On the Ice
Cizeron's hand pulled it apart by accident. Back neck closure was fine until the moment he grabbed it and turned Papadakis around.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/despite-wardrobe-malfunction-french-dancers-second-place

Yeah, but that was in the first moments so the whole time it was like that. I don't know how they got it fixed so quickly after the dance because she came off the ice with it ok. i don't know if she fixed it or he did at the end of the performance.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I don't think Piper and Paul ever stand a chance of getting PCS comparable to the top teams unless they start showing up with level 4s on everything every time for at least a season. Interestingly, Kaitlyn and Andrew's PCS have also dropped in comparison to everyone else. Is the weak couple of seasons they've had so far to blame here? Anna and Luca are still in position to challenge for the podium, so at least a Gadbois sweep doesn't look predetermined yet :D

and the Shibs are 0.02 from the podium!!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It distracted me the whole time because I thought it was going to go down and she would have flashed the whole world. I had to rewatch the dance in order to pay attention to the actual dance. They did a good dance regardless but they did mess up the twizzles. No way should they have been given those scores there - to a lay viewer that was a very obvious mistake that none of the other top teams had (they may have had mistakes but none so obvious to the lay viewer). A lay viewer would be confused why they are in second (indeed, even a seasoned viewer would be surprised by the small point difference).

On one hand, it's not fair to the french team to basically give up a gold medal because of a wardrobe malfunction. On other hand, V/M were simply better - and they did not have obvious errors. The olympics is not the time to say "oh, you had something happen beyond your control, we won't deduct so much." That's simply wrong. Moreover, they had to know it might be a problem if they were literally sewing things on at the day of competition. The other dancers had costumes where that would clearly not be a problem; they took a risk with that costume and it did not pay off. The other teams mostly V/M should not have to pay for it with a gold medal simply because something happened beyond THEIR control.

If they skate clean tonight they win since the judges are showing a clear signal. I could see them winning if they outskate V/M by 4-5 points - if they do they deserve the gold. But if they outskate by barely 2-no, sorry, I don't think they desrve that gold medal. Nathan Chen showed us that this is simply not a long program - the short program counts too and if V/M skate to their potential tonight it seems ridiculous to deny them that gold or to fudge with points to give it to the french. Both are great teams but if they both skate lights out tonight, V/M skated better in BOTH programs.

Controversy in ice dancing, what else is new?

The problem is had the short dance be scored fairly P/C wouldbedown quite a bit - still probably second but maybe if the Shibs were a bit h igher in third. But it is the points. Virtue and Moir should be up by at least four pts. Now if both teams skated cleanly in the FD V and M should theoretically win the FD by a bit on pcs. This is the problem everyone or should I say most prefer the musical choice and direction of P/C but like or dislike scoring wise V and M should score equally as ewll just because they are different styles/ music. Ie. you skate to a coutnry tune but it meets all the criteria and even though that judge hates country it could be even perfect. But that is the problem. I had an olypian with last nite point out to me besides the errors and unfortuantely the wardrobe issue which in itself isn't the problem but how it effected the performance/program. That should reduced scores. The prob is eventhough V and M could skate well today they will be marked down if this season continues because the j udges prefer the classical lines of Moonlight. Hey I prefer it too but scoring wise, again all things being equal i would give it to the Canadians over PC - again assuming they both skate reasonably well. pc wise the Canadians should be winning just like in the michelle kwan days even if outskated tech wise she usually deserved to win artistically likewise with pcs. Don't misundersttand me pc are great but the skating skills- note edges - surety, depth, precision and unfortunately Gabby is noticeably not as good she is very good still but not at the l evel of Guiallume or V and M. But it doesn't matter what I or we think or say the judges are the judges. PC have the gold medal with that SD score - despite issues that marred the performance they hardly got marked down.. And if they are being consistentin geting 4 pts or so higher than V and M in the FD might as well gift wrap the gold to PC and call it a night.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think we all sometimes need to remember to enjoy and watch figure skating for its beautiful performances and appreciation for skating and forget about some of the technical stuff for a while because watching all this arguing sometimes drives me over the edge. While I definitely don't agree with some of the scores for the skates actually throughout all the skating events of the Olympics so far (how many world records or olympic records or personal bests have we broken so far?? Some of them are truly deserved like S/M but others are some seriously iffy stuff) I feel like we sometimes take this as a personal issue with the skaters and forget it's not their fault; it's a judging system that needs some serious reform. I can't wait for the FS tonight and I hope all the teams skate cleanly and well! All the best to everyone!! :hap85:

I agree with you but I detest what I have predicted more on observation and deduction than a Ouji board or crystalball is coming true.

melmel

On the Ice
Yeah, but that was in the first moments so the whole time it was like that. I don't know how they got it fixed so quickly after the dance because she came off the ice with it ok. i don't know if she fixed it or he did at the end of the performance.

There were two straps (thankfully because otherwise it would have completely dropped down to her waist the second it untied) holding it around her arms/shoulders; That's how it stayed on. And they had no time nor real opportunity to try to fix it during their program. It was Guillaume who tied it back after they were finished.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Sure because if pc does not have a very lucky accidental costume malfunction for the canadians they would have been closer to them. Vm has no answer for the french team fd. They are too superior.

That's the problem they are not superior. I prefer the FD style wise of PC but artistically and technically if both skate reasonably to their best V and M deserve it. But the SD to be fair V and M should have won and should have won by more. Now if V and M don't skate as well or have problems will the judges hold them up - doubt it. Sorry this smells bad. I appreciate there is a huge division on who we like but if we could look at the skating objectively which is hard because we have our biases. I admit i have mine but I can say that I do prefer Moonlight over Moulin Roughe as a music/program but techinically and choreographically etc. I can see why the Canadians deserve it - or a tie eventechnically since V and M usually make more bobbles but are better in other areas but pc wise V and M should be ahead by more. or at least in the FS win the SS and at best PC and VM tie in the rest.

rain

Record Breaker
So hold on second, judges should judge for the average Channel surfing fan? That makes absolutely no sense. The judges should charge the product on the ice which they did. I re-watched both dances the French team and the French team we’re definitely faster and sharper

That last is total crap. They skated tentatively and without as much expression as usual. Due to the costume, at least in part, no doubt, but the reason doesn't matter. What matters is that it was inferior, yet the judges seem to have already made up their mind who they're awarding the gold to and they're going to make that result happen no matter how anyone skates. That's infuriating. And that's not even to mention the noticeable mistake on the twizzles and the problem on the lift — two giant (at this level) technical errors. I dare you, explain to me why it's OK for a judge to give them +3 on those twizzles. That short dance score is indefensible.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think Tessa and Scott just secure their gold.

Anyonw who said Moulin Rough is original and unusual should not be taken seriously.

The level of bitterness here :laugh:

Even if P/C skated perfectly, they will have something to whine about : not real latin, lack of romantic chemistry blah blah blah blah. Basically for them anyone who is competitor to their ice dance deity Tessa and scott = suck.

Not true. But today or this skate PC had problems and no one including and most importantly is addressing quality or tech issues with GAbby. I have already pointed out PC or V M oranyone can do really well in components of PCS because they did the very best for their chosen artistic direction - because they chose a traditionallatin approach or untraditionalthe key is did they do it well. But PC had issues andyes some of it was not really their fault - the dress but that effects the mark or should have. It doesn't matter what us armchair judges think we do not have thepower to decide OGM and maybe that is a good thing lol.

Tigerlily87

On the Ice
That last is total crap. They skated tentatively and without as much expression as usual. Due to the costume, at least in part, no doubt, but the reason doesn't matter. What matters is that it was inferior, yet the judges seem to have already made up their mind who they're awarding the gold to and they're going to make that result happen no matter how anyone skates. That's infuriating. And that's not even to mention the noticeable mistake on the twizzles and the problem on the lift — two giant (at this level) technical errors. I dare you, explain to me why it's OK for a judge to give them +3 on those twizzles. That short dance score is indefensible.

Their twizzles were still at the difficulty level but slightly off. I wouldn’t call the technical errors giant. They skated faster as well than v/m

anyanka

Record Breaker
That should have been:
1. V/M, 2. S/S, 3. P/C, 4. C/L, 5. H/D, 6. W/P, 7. B/S, 8. C/B, 9. G/P, 10. C/B

I still think Gabby should have been dinged a deduction for that wardrobe malfunction but I'm so impressed they still skated well with that obvious and embarrassing distraction!

It would be absolutely wild if the Italians absolutely knocked out Life is Beautiful and beat all three American teams to the bronze!

A major upset has yet to happen in these games. There's usually one per games (e.g. Evan over Plushy in 2010, Shizuka in 2006, the pairs scandal in 2002, and in Sochi with I/K taking bronze over the others plus Adelina). Will the shocker come in the dance (as long as V/M and P/C go 1-2 in either order I'm happy)??