2018 Olympic Figure Skating Short Dance | Page 87 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Short Dance

sowcow

On the Ice
So where were Dubreil and Lauzon before or after P/C's SD? I get that they had another team right after (V/M) but isn't it usual that the main coaches split the responsibilities in such a situation. I know one of the coaches were with P/C (Romain and a woman) but it just seems that one of the top coaches would have come to be with Gabriela after that mortifying experience.

And more importantly if Marie-France or Patrice had been there before maybe they would have caught the loose dress hook or had a better solution than what the one coach provided. Anyone hear of a safety pin? Does this have anything to do with V/M's need for undivided attention after Sochi - don't freak on me, just asking.

Sorry slider11 - despite your plea to "don't freak on me, just asking" ... with over 4 years as a GS member, and >1,300 posts, I gotta call you out on unnecessarily 'stirring the pot' with your observation of Dubreil & Lauzon M.I.A. (missing in action) during P/C's kiss n' cry!

Recall the Short Dance skating order:

• #20 VIRTUE Tessa / MOIR Scott
  • #21 PAPADAKIS G / CIZERON G
  • #22 HUBBELL Madison / DONOHUE Zachary

So, M-F and Patrice had 3 of their couples skating one-after-the-other; and splitting 2 coaches 3-ways is not so easy!! :eek:

In addition, I believe P/C consider Romain to also be their 'main' coach (equal to M-F and Patrice); and he was with them both before and after they performed. In fact, if you watch all the competitions P/C have been in over the past 4 years, Romain almost always 'takes the lead' in terms of 'appearing' with P/C at rinkside - especially afterwards in the Kiss n' Cry. So, the Olympics was absolutely nothing out of the ordinary - especially given Dubreil & Lauzon had couples skating immediately before and after (...and neither V/M or H/D have a 'Romain' of their own (i.e. a '3rd' main coach) as P/C do).

As traumatic as it was for Gabriella (and Guillaume), the fact is they had finished their skate, and H/D had yet to skate — so it's obvious where the coaching attention needed to be (...notwithstanding the embarrassment Gabrielle must have been experiencing at that moment).

Of course, all the coaching arrangements (i.e. "which coach will be with which couple before, during and after their performance") are discussed and agreed to well beforehand. So, Gabriella would not have expected it; and it may in fact have thrown-off H/D if Dubreil had suddenly darted off to comfort and console Gabriella.
► I'm sure Gabriella could easily imagine herself in Madison's 'shoes' [or 'skates'] at that moment, and how upsetting it would be to have your coach leave you just as you're getting on the ice for your program!

Finally, reports are that P/C and their 3 'main' coaches had a team meeting afterwards, and eventually were able to get Gabby to 'laugh' at the situation [there are several earlier posts attesting to this]. I think it's also fair to speculate that both Dubreil & Lauzon would have spent as much time as P/C needed (for the rest of that day and night) to calm themselves down and get back into a positive 'head-space'; even if the time needed was at the expense of time spent with their other 4(?) dance teams competing at this Olympics!

So unfortunately slider11 ... I gotta charge you with the offense of: Unnecessarily 'stirring the pot'

sowcow

On the Ice
Oh. Like maybe a dancer would have her costume built with the equivalent of a nursing bra so that she could conveniently open it up if she messed up her twizzles, despite the fact that the competition was being broadcast worldwide and that she would likely receive rude comments on Twitter? Seriously?

Seriously. You really think some people aren't competitive enough to do it? And you're presupposing the problem would be in the breast area — it needn't be, especially since we're talking about men, singles, pairs, and ladies disciplines. And if we took the original suggestion, skaters could stop immediately after the issue, thus there would be no danger of exposing oneself.

You seem to think it's ridiculous that a skater would ever decide a do-over was worth a costume issue. But I think it's highly likely if, say, a skater went out for the SP in ladies or mens and missed their combo — would they take a chance to wipe the slate clean and repeat? Hell yes.

As someone who used to compete in another field where costumes were more than a little important, I would say that yes, your suggestion is ridiculous. If something is going so badly that a do over is necessary, chances are it won’t go any better after an interruption for a costume malfunction.

In rain's defense: I'd like to point out that this sort of 'trick' — to stop, 'take a breather' and re-start your program — used to be used on occasion by certain skaters; albeit they'd use the excuse that their skate laces accidentally became untied!

When I competed, a few specific skaters had a reputation for intentionally lacing up their skates in such a way that they could easily be untied, if so desired, with just the slightest 'pull', for example, during a sit spin. I've seen video replays in slow-motion after-the-fact where it is obvious the skaters' laces were intentionally untied mid-program.

Of course, some might point out that unlike in the good old "6.0" days, nowadays you'd get an automatic deduction for stopping, and restarting your program. However, although there was no hard-and-fast (i.e. 'automatically applied') accountable deductions in the case of 'equipment failures' when I competed; nevertheless, judges could (and usually did) deduct at their discretion!

In conclusion: I'd argue that an intentional 'equipment failure' (i.e. untied laces) is equivalent to an intentional 'wardrobe-malfunction'; and so it is absolutely not a ridiculous suggestion as put forward by rain!

LadyB

Record Breaker
Slimy beast. Ewww.....how people choose to work with him I will never understand. Did you see that fluff piece from Canadian Nationals where he's essentailly telling W/P that they're has beens, right? And they chose to work with him? :eekn: Things must have really gone sideways with Krylova and Carmelengo.

I don't fault him for being a good coach and even better talent spotter. No!!! Not that way, that's just instinct :laugh:
Since it takes two to tango, I fail to understand how anyone can actually still want to sh** him? Maybe he does have certain qualities... :confused2:

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
So this question is probably a little late to ask but for the technical experts out there, why did wang/liu get a level 2 on both the partial and midline steps? At 4CC, they got both level 3's. In this interview, Wang mentioned she was confused about the score: http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2018-02/19/c_136985259.htm

I love their free dance and really wanted them to perform it at the Olympics so I really hope they can fix their level issues and perform it to its full glory in Milan :)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
For those who, like me, were caught out by the Short Dance not being archived.

Haven't checked if it is the same with other countries, but British Eurosport 2 are repeating the highlights programmes of the Olympic Ice Dance today:

British Eurosport (All times GMT)

Wednesday 28[SUP]th[/SUP] February 2018
BES2 12:30 – 13:30 Short Dance Highlights
BES2 13:30 – 14:30 Free Dance Highlights

I've set the timer correctly this time!

CaroLiza_fan