Washington Post Article: Adam Rippon Wants to Stay Famous | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Washington Post Article: Adam Rippon Wants to Stay Famous

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Double edged sword - it kinda trivializes skating and is a bit flippant ... but it's also an article in the Washington Post which brings some exposure to the sport. USFSA is probably a bit divided about it, lol... but he's been a PR god for them so they should just enjoy having a prolific figure skater again, not just on the ice but off of it (and not just because of DWTS).

I can imagine the skating purists bristling and lambasting the author for not doing their research about the quad axel and its grave importance to figure skating and how it must be revered and respected and not merely a joke in a fluff piece. :laugh:

Then again Adam was always great at getting a rise and reaction out of everyone. :biggrin:

evasorange

Final Flight
god forbid a figure skater has a personality off-ice and isn't the same mary sue or john smith in interviews with generic answers to questions.

I like it when skaters show personality in interviews, now wether I like the personality that is being shown is a different question 😈

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Was it? Because it was corrected.

Omg it was corrected! 😂 I can only imagine the complaints they got before being compelled to change it.

On the other hand, while I don't think it was the author's intent, incorporating such an error surely got the article more interest, as certain outraged fans were probably triggered by the egregious quad axel error and couldn't help but talk about it on social media, leading to more views. :biggrin:

Omg it was corrected! �� I can only imagine the complaints they got before being compelled to change it.

Nah, I think the author cares about research more than you originally thought. Projecting things to be what you think they are doesn't always work out, just a heads up.

It was an alright read. TontoK summed it up best for me.

Amei

Record Breaker
Double edged sword - it kinda trivializes skating and is a bit flippant ... but it's also an article in the Washington Post which brings some exposure to the sport. USFSA is probably a bit divided about it, lol... but he's been a PR god for them so they should just enjoy having a prolific figure skater again, not just on the ice but off of it (and not just because of DWTS).

I can imagine the skating purists bristling and lambasting the author for not doing their research about the quad axel and its grave importance to figure skating and how it must be revered and respected and not merely a joke in a fluff piece. :laugh:

Then again Adam was always great at getting a rise and reaction out of everyone. :biggrin:

If I was USFSA I'd want the faces of US figure skating in the media to be skaters that could actually win because until that happens the sport won't grow

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Haha before certain folks get all sensitive and hate-tweet the author for saying that... it was meant to be a joke! :slink:

This is one big fluff piece but I loved it. It's nice to see a skater pursuing avenues beyond skating and with refreshing honesty. So many times I think there's the expectation for prominent skaters to "do more" or "give back to the sport" via coaching or choreographing or whatever, when really it's their life and if they wanna go against the grain, be famous for things outside of skating, and have the opportunities and personality to be, then that's awesome for them. If Rippon is over skating then it's all good - life goes on and not everyone remains in the sport or contributing to it, and that's okay. I love how he even was like "oh right, there was that whole Olympic thing too". :laugh: He's grateful but he can also move on and ironically, maybe we shouldn't judge him. ;)

:agree: But he is still doing choreography for skaters. He choreographed Mariah Bell's SP this season. ;)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If I was USFSA I'd want the faces of US figure skating in the media to be skaters that could actually win because until that happens the sport won't grow

USFSA has nothing to do with Adam’s popularity; that is his own personality and his willingness to own who he is.:thumbsup:

They should however be thanking the skating gods that Adam has this personality and has this platform :bow: The US of A has plenty of skaters who actually win: ice dancing comes to mind. And for better or worse none of them have the audience that Adam has, or have the capacity to develop the sport beyond the devotees who actually get bent out of shape about a fluff piece mislabeling a jump:yawn:

If I were USFS, I would be trying my best to take advantage of Adam’s popularity. How? Beats me, but I’m sure some marketing maven could do it.....:biggrin:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not sure the world is ready for another non world medallist personality. but who knows. Maybe Johnny Weir will be willing to share the limelight with Adam. I do wonder though unless Adam has real off ice talenhowlong wil his 15min of fame be. He may be running out of time. I was reading how his marketability isn't as high as some athletes. Ihope he sin't buying too much jewelry;his fortune may be fleeting.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
The article describes well how his popularity began.

Before February, no one outside of figure skating had heard of him. Then, after he qualified for the Winter Games in January, a journalist asked him to comment on the choice of Vice President Pence to lead the U.S. Olympic delegation at the Opening Ceremonies. Rippon — one of only two out gay Americans competing in PyeongChang — answered with unscripted candor: “You mean Mike Pence, the same Mike Pence that funded gay conversion therapy? I’m not buying it.”

Since then, he has been a darling even of the media, who never criticized the shameful gay conversion therapy before and thereafter.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think being OTT is how you maintain relevance these days. He isn't a judge on a dancing show because of his ballroom expertise.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I am not sure the world is ready for another non world medallist personality. but who knows. Maybe Johnny Weir will be willing to share the limelight with Adam. I do wonder though unless Adam has real off ice talenhowlong wil his 15min of fame be. He may be running out of time. I was reading how his marketability isn't as high as some athletes. Ihope he sin't buying too much jewelry;his fortune may be fleeting.

With all due respect, Johnny has a world bronze (2008).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
:agree: But he is still doing choreography for skaters. He choreographed Mariah Bell's SP this season. ;)

Oooh! Good to know! :biggrin:

At the time, Rippon was a skater who could actually win! He made the GPF and got 2 silvers (so maybe not top of the heap, but still competitive).

Winning isn't everything when it comes to growing the sport. No shade to Kimmie Meissner or Sarah Hughes, but winning Worlds and the Olympics even didn't garner as much attention to the sport as sassy personalities like Rippon and Wagner or iconic performers like Kwan, or achievements like Mirai's triple axel, or Jason Brown's epic Riverdance.

As a side note, I know some skaters (myself included) were discouraged from continuing because of the perception of skaters as gay. To have role models like Rippon and Radford (whether they win or not), is helping the sport grow by encouraging a subset of skaters to actually stick with it and be comfortable being themselves and enjoying skating without fear of ridicule or discrimination (also helps that society in general is more progressive now than it was 15-20 years ago!).

RobinA

On the Ice
Actually, I am quite the opposite. If it were any other athlete than Adam, I would not be much interested in an article titled "I want to be famous." :) (I would probably think that it was about some minor Kardashian. ;) )

The name Kardashian did come to mind as I read this sad article. Clue, Adam. People know who you are because of skating, so it would probably be better if you don't put too much space between you and it. At least until you develop a second talent you can trade on. Being yourself is not anything that every human on the planet can't be. Want to be a role model for kids? Go be a teacher and make the thing that interests you, you mention bullying, be a big part of what you do. Being famous doesn't really accomplish much of anything good in and of itself.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The name Kardashian did come to mind as I read this sad article. Clue, Adam. People know who you are because of skating, so it would probably be better if you don't put too much space between you and it. At least until you develop a second talent you can trade on. Being yourself is not anything that every human on the planet can't be. Want to be a role model for kids? Go be a teacher and make the thing that interests you, you mention bullying, be a big part of what you do. Being famous doesn't really accomplish much of anything good in and of itself.

I would actually say Adam has a huge talent outside of skating - being the gift of gab, which let's be honest, not a ton of people have, let alone skaters. Being yourself is not anything that everyone can't be, but being yourself and also being interesting to a wide audience takes a special person. He's clearly very personable, great at interviewing, and is entertaining -- which, to me, is productive.

Being famous gives you a voice and a platform. You can still be an LGBT role model while wanting to increase your Insta following. And teaching/inspiring the next generation can manifest itself in several ways - whether it's in front of a chalkboard or behind an Instagram handle.

People know Adam for his skating - in the skating world. More people know Adam for his personality and advocacy that transcend merely what he's done on the ice.

Manitou

Medalist
Skate wise he is absolutely nothing. He is flaunting his team bronze medal he had no contribution to, but the media does not care. He is making a career by being openly gay and that's pretty much it. The progressive media loves it for the moment and he is going with it as far as they are willing to take him with them. They may drop him abruptly any moment they decide they are done with him, but for a while he is enjoying his five minutes.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, you could actually DO something productive, but I may be old school here.

Adam not doing anything? Adam has done far more for some kid skating, afraid to own in public who he is and who he might be, than any one of us here, I'll wager. And yes, being famous and using your fame is a way to do that. Good for him:hap10:

The article describes well how his popularity began.

Since then, he has been a darling even of the media, who never criticized the shameful gay conversion therapy before and thereafter.

Adam has not continued to be in the media spotlight, eight months after the Olympics, due to one quote. I have no idea how much that quote "started" it, but Adam, through his personality, gift of gab, and willingness to use his platform, has extended way way way beyond 15 minutes. Again, good for him:hap10:

I'm also not sure I understand the last sentence. Does the "who" refer to Adam or the media? Adam, again, has spoken out more for gay rights, including speaking against "gay conversion therapy" (such a canard I won't even dignify it with the name therapy) than almost any other athlete I can name. I can give you the links offline if you would like.

And if it refers to the media, that makes no sense, again I can give you links to almost every media outlet that has decried this so-called therapy.

If Adam is a darling of the media, it is because people like him and want to hear from him. It doesn't matter if posters here understand or agree with it. It just is.:)