2013 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic: Sep 11-15 [Salt Lake City, Utah] | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2013 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic: Sep 11-15 [Salt Lake City, Utah]

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I don't see fights, I see a few posters making sure that they bash D/W enough in order to make V/M look good.
What they fail to realize is it only makes them look bad, not D/W.

SkateOn, I see that you officially joined GS this month. In case you are not already aware:
I think it is fair to say that compared to Virtue/Moir, Davis/White have far more fans among those who post on GS. I'm not suggesting any kind of evil conspiracy; it just so happens that among the active GS membership, D/W seem to be more popular.
So whining that D/W are getting bashed on GS is ridiculous. V/M get bashed around here much more often, I regret to say.

... I distinctly remember all the fuss at the start of last season about how unbeatable Carmen was for V/M. Tell me, how did that work out for them exactly?

And need I remind you of "all the fuss at the start of" the 2011-2012 season "about how unbeatable" Die Fledermaus was for D/W? "Tell me, how did that work out for them exactly?"

Orange Cat

On the Ice
Seriously though, can we talk about Courtney Hicks for a sec?

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Courtney+Hicks/International+Figure+Skating+Classic/z7uonUAc4ye

Beautiful dress, good makeup, neat hair.

Indecisive tights. :disapp:

Either stuff them in your boots or put 'em all the way over!

I know everyone wants to stand out, but this is not in a good way.

Haha, that was all I could think of when I was watching her skate!Well, apart from, "Wow, she's matured a lot! I don't feel like I need my asthma ventilator beside me".

Small issue, very small issue, I know... but wouldn't it be nice if she could just stuff them in her boots? (I'm not a fan of tights over skates haha)

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Haha, that was all I could think of when I was watching her skate!Well, apart from, "Wow, she's matured a lot! I don't feel like I need my asthma ventilator beside me".

Small issue, very small issue, I know... but wouldn't it be nice if she could just stuff them in her boots? (I'm not a fan of tights over skates haha)

Yeah, me neither, but some people seem to be. In past pictures, she used to be an OTB kind of girl. Maybe this is a transition into white boots? Though, I'd prefer that the transition not happen at all ...

aftertherain

Record Breaker
V/M get bashed around here much more often, I regret to say.

I think many people just don't like Scott Moir (sorry, Macassar88), and that unfortunately sometimes translates to disliking V/M and may lead to a D/W preference over V/M. Of course, I also think many other people admire both teams---but the few who are totally negative about one or the other always seem to speak the loudest, I suppose.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
one could very well be fooled into thinking so.

haha! :)

now about the competition, Cesario was the stand out for me in the bad ladies free skate. I love this Carmen program actually, i think she does it justice, its sexy and sassy and can still grow, love the ending with her choreographic sequence..! so glad she has 2 GP's well deserved, even if Hicks won she is soo uninteresting and boring compared to Samantha.

Antiloquy

Rinkside
I love that V/M are dragged down here despite no fact backs it up. The truth is NONE of V/M's FDs in the past few years is remotely similar to each other, or is just "look at how in love we are".

Oh, you're one of those kinds of fans.

Rewatched the FD and I like it a little more, but I still think it's disjointed. Some of the lifts are amazing, but I think they don't fit in the program narrative and music. In the beginning, he's meaning to kill her and she jumps on his back? Same with the upside down lift, which was wobblier than I remembered. Hope they can fix that.

islandpaddler

On the Ice
Country
US-Virgin-Islands
Courtney Hicks' too-dark tights half off, half on her boots was a big distraction for me. It's more of a sporty look, I think. I worked okay for the ice dance couple where she was wearing a black dress with black tights. However, Courtney had on a more sophisticated dress that called out for lighter color tights and either in or out of her boots. Not halfway. I didn't care much for Max's hair either but it wasn't nearly as distracting as Courtney's boots. I thought she was much improved over last season, so let's get the whole package in place.

SkateOn

Rinkside
SkateOn, I see that you officially joined GS this month. In case you are not already aware:
I think it is fair to say that compared to Virtue/Moir, Davis/White have far more fans among those who post on GS. I'm not suggesting any kind of evil conspiracy; it just so happens that among the active GS membership, D/W seem to be more popular.
So whining that D/W are getting bashed on GS is ridiculous. V/M get bashed around here much more often, I regret to say.

And need I remind you of "all the fuss at the start of" the 2011-2012 season "about how unbeatable" Die Fledermaus was for D/W? "Tell me, how did that work out for them exactly?"

Take the condescending attitude elsewhere please...

Just to be clear, I actually wasn't trying to bash V/M when I said that. My point was that no one can say a program is "unbeatable" by either team because anything can happen on any day with the competition as close as it is.

But I guess according to you my low post count discredits any opinions on the matter.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

Just to be clear, I actually wasn't trying to bash V/M when I said that. My point was that no one can say a program is "unbeatable" by either team because anything can happen on any day with the competition as close as it is.

But I guess according to you my low post count discredits any opinions on the matter.

This x 1000. Which is what is going to make this season in particular super exciting. And that is why, after a long lull, I fell in love with ice dancing all over again. It's gonna be a "down to the wire" horse race.

As far as D/W's FD, at it's very good for what it is: a first draft of a finished dance. The last lift (Scheherazade Ascendant) is awkward, though I get the "idea" of it. What I DO especially like is they are going for High Drama without the feeling of manicpanic. They've come a longggggggggggg way from the balls-to-the-wall Phantom program. And I don't think they could have done that without all the experience they gained from doing their much maligned tango FD.

Speaking of tango...I DO like W/P new LD. I think a tango will bring out their own passionate intensity. I just hate the first cut of music (so shoot me). And I do think the creativity and beauty of their lifts has declined dramatically from previous seasons. But it's still early days, and who knows what kind of tweaking is in store.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

I agree with you 100% that no program can be preordained to be "unbeatable." :agree:

And everyone is entitled to her/his opinion. I mentioned your recent join date because I was cutting you slack: I would understand if you had not yet had a chance to observe for yourself the general imbalance of support on GS for the two top dance couples. Again, I do not think it is the result of a conspiracy. But it is a reality.

As for condescending attitude, LOL, let's review. Who was the one who posted the sarcastic comment to which I responded? Gee, could it be ... ? :laugh: (Apologies to SNL's Church Lady. ;))

I think many people just don't like Scott Moir (sorry, Macassar88), and that unfortunately sometimes translates to disliking V/M and may lead to a D/W preference over V/M. Of course, I also think many other people admire both teams---but the few who are totally negative about one or the other always seem to speak the loudest, I suppose.

The bad rap that Moir gets both on GS and elsewhere is terribly unwarranted, IMHO. :bang: But I will refrain from discussing that issue any further in this thread.

The same as anyone else, I have certain personal favorites, less-favorites, and non-favorites among the skaters. But I consider myself among those here who do not condone bashing of anyone, whether they be V/M, D/W, Gracie Gold, Lysacek, Chan, etc., etc. Hats off to all who live by the words, "If you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all."

SkateOn

Rinkside
I agree with you 100% that no program can be preordained to be "unbeatable." :agree:

And everyone is entitled to her/his opinion. I mentioned your recent join date because I was cutting you slack: I would understand if you had not yet had a chance to observe for yourself the general imbalance of support on GS for the two top dance couples. Again, I do not think it is the result of a conspiracy. But it is a reality.

As for condescending attitude, LOL, let's review. Who was the one who posted the sarcastic comment to which I responded? Gee, could it be ... ? :laugh: (Apologies to SNL's Church Lady. ;))

Wow, so by finishing your quote that means I'm Satan? Are you for real? I hope that was sarcasm because I don't know what I did to deserve that
other than dare to stick up for a team you so obviously hate. And yet according to you, D/W fans are the bad guys here.

Look, I really do not want to argue, that is not the reason I joined here. But when you tell me what I can and can not say and what I should and should not think and who I can and can not defend, it's beyond irritating. Maybe I'm just cranky and over sensitive but that's how its coming across to me.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Wow, so by finishing your quote that means I'm Satan? Are you for real? I hope that was sarcasm because I don't know what I did to deserve that
other than dare to stick up for a team you so obviously hate. And yet according to you, D/W fans are the bad guys here.

Look, I really do not want to argue, that is not the reason I joined here. But when you tell me what I can and can not say and what I should and should not think and who I can and can not defend, it's beyond irritating. Maybe I'm just cranky and over sensitive but that's how its coming across to me.

SkateOn, apologies that my attempt at humor totally misfired. I was not equating you to Satan. I was merely trying to ask a rhetorical question in a clever but harmless way, and I stupidly did not anticipate that it could (legitimately) be misinterpreted in the way that you did. I am sorry.
I do not want to argue either ... esp. in this thread that, as others have noted, is supposed to be about the SLC competition.
My original point was that you feel free to dish out your own sarcasm/criticism/lecturing, but then you act holier than thou when someone else pushes back. I do not understand the double standard.
I said exactly nothing to indicate any hatred from me for Davis/White. I like and respect D/W, and have no such hatred. I happen to like Virtue/Moir even more, and I do stick up for them -- and offer reality checks -- against the tidal wave of GS love for D/W (which includes, but is not limited to, bashing of V/M from some members).
I hope that you and I can leave this conversation behind us, and start over with goodwill on both sides. If not, please send me a PM. We should let this thread return to its intended focus.

SkateOn

Rinkside
SkateOn, apologies that my attempt at humor totally misfired. I was not equating you to Satan. I was merely trying to ask a rhetorical question in a clever but harmless way, and I stupidly did not anticipate that it could (legitimately) be misinterpreted in the way that you did. I am sorry.
I do not want to argue either ... esp. in this thread that, as others have noted, is supposed to be about the SLC competition.
My original point was that you feel free to dish out your own sarcasm/criticism/lecturing, but then you act holier than thou when someone else pushes back. I do not understand the double standard.
I said exactly nothing to indicate any hatred from me for Davis/White. I like and respect D/W, and have no such hatred. I happen to like Virtue/Moir even more, and I do stick up for them -- and offer reality checks -- against the tidal wave of GS love for D/W (which includes, but is not limited to, bashing of V/M from some members).
I hope that you and I can leave this conversation behind us, and start over with goodwill on both sides. If not, please send me a PM. We should let this thread return to its intended focus.

I agree, let's move on. I think the problem is we have the same viewpoint, it's just on opposing ends. And I'm also sorry if I came across as having an attitude but please understand I felt the same from you and yeah, it's getting us nowhere so let's drop it and start over. Truth is, yes I'm a DW fan but I have mad respect for VM and just have never understood when people try to bash the competition in order to make their own favorites look good. And yes, even though I stated it in this thread in regards to Meryl and Charlie, I do mean it on both sides. There is criticism, and then there is downright nastiness. I guess sometimes the lines are blurred when it comes to what is and isnt appropriate to say. I'm just going to try and bite my tongue from here on out but it will really be hard. With it being the Olympic season the mud slinging will be worse than ever. Ugh.

With that said - i will shut up now and say sorry we got off on the wrong foot. That, and i like your pic of max. :)

KKonas

Medalist
SLC Classic FD Quotes
Aranow/Brubaker (on first international experience) Brubaker – We are excited. It feels good to be done. Now we have to go back and see what we can do to improve things. Overall, we are pleased with our performances here.

Cannuscio/McManus (on their FD) Cannuscio – Other than level stuff, the competition went really well for us. We had fun and showed our programs for the season. I had a lot of fun and I feel like we expressed them well which is what we wanted to do.

Davis/White (on their FD) White – The amount of potential it (the program) still has is staggering. For us, we are thrilled with how we put it out there tonight. We worked hard to get to the point where it’s at now but we feel very strongly that it’s going to grow immeasurably and I think that’s part of what’s so exciting about competing this program, just knowing how far we can take it.

Davis – (On Debut) Charlie and I were really excited to debut this program. It’s a program we have kind of been crafting with Marina (Zoueva) for a couple years now, some of the elements, the music. It’s something we’ve been thinking about for a while. Debuting it was a really exciting thing for us. It’s an incredibly challenging program so we are a little bit on the tired side at the end. We think that’s good. We think it’s going to be a great vehicle for us moving forward.

White (On Levels ) Sometimes it will feel like a (Level) four and there are several things the judges will comment on that could have brought you down to a three. All we can ever do is the best that we can and train as hard as we can and leave it all out on the ice which I think we were able to do today. Were we perfect on every edge? I don’t think so. But we tried really hard and I’m proud of that.

Kriengkrairut /Giuletti-Schmitt Kriengkrairut - We need to continue to work on the overall package. There is a lot to work on in both programs. Technical stuff is something we need to work on and we need to focus on our levels in our footwork. It’ll keep growing from here.

Weaver/Poje (on free dance) Poje – It was a little hard today because it’s so early in the season. Putting it out there so early is new for us, we still have to develop the program, develop our stamina and the finishes in the program. We are really happy with the performance and where we started off the season.

Orford/Williams (On Olympic Season) Orford – We definitely know it’s going to be a tough go. There are a lot of teams in Canada fighting for that third spot especially. We’re working as hard as we can. We are getting lots of outside help with acting coaches, ballroom dance teachers, Broadway performance teachers.

KKonas

Medalist
Classic Ladies FS Quotes
Samantha Cesario (On her free skate) “It was a lot of fun. I wasn’t too happy with my short program yesterday, but I felt like I fought a lot harder today. My performance wasn’t perfect, but I’m happy with the overall result.”

Gracie Gold (On the missed jumps) “I sort of got out of my knees and I didn’t take my deep breaths. At competitions, I tend to get very stiff and I make myself nervous. The pressure never comes from anyone else, everyone else is always very supportive. I was really nervous yesterday and today. It’s the first international competition of such a big season and I let that get to my head a little bit.”

Courtney Hicks (On her performances) “I think it went really well. For my short program, I got a little nervous and I kind of let that get the best of me. I think with my free skate I was a lot more focused and I’m definitely happy with my skate.”

Agnes Zawadzki (On what she takes away from this event) “It’s definitely back to the drawing board for me. My next thing isn’t until November so I’ve got a good month and some weeks to get that program done. I need to strategize and figure out what I need to do, what works, what doesn’t work and kind of get my head on straight. I did learn a lot here and I’m definitely going to take that with me to the next competition.”

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Victorious narrative continues on for Davis, White
Weaver, Poje far off pace with silver; Orford, Williams hold on for bronze
Posted 9/15/13 by Lynn Rutherford, special to icenetwork
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/09/14/60666124

About the opening curve lift, which featured a swift "pull and flip" entry, she said, "We worked on it for three years. It takes off with a counter movement; that's why it looks very effective."

Despite all of the work that has already gone into Scheherazade, both the skaters and their coach think it will only get better.

"Training it to the point where we can showcase our skating skills without worrying through every element and not reminding ourselves what to think about, that's the first thing we're going to go back and work on," Davis said.

Zoueva had a more specific critique.

"The ending lift will be a little bit higher, a little bit more emotional when they are in better shape later in the season," she said. "I want it to be a little bit stronger and passionate. It has to be an exclamation point."

The entry into that first lift was :love:, but I admit, I don't quite like the last position on that lift. Also loooooved the upside-down lift and hopefully they can get the last lift down.