2014 Cup of China Ladies Short Program 11/07 | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2014 Cup of China Ladies Short Program 11/07

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No Lutz in Yulia's program, that's worrysome, though. She will be no be competitive in GP or worlds without it. Were they unable to to do something about her edge problem?

She didnt need it here :think:

She can up her TES as the season unfolds....similar to what Liza did. They knew Liza was doing a 3t-3t already.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Should have been a higher difference IMO

Yulia did make up some of the difference (0.53) by having her solo triple in the second half.

The +GOE difference 0.87, which does seem relatively low...but I think Yulia also gain some +GOE for some transitions in and out of the jumps.

The rotations on Yulia's jumps looked fine to me, BTW.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I like the top 3 as is. Hope they can bring it in the LP :biggrin:

Violetti

On the Ice
I liked Edmunds and her skating overall. She looks more mature now. Julia did not look as more mature in my eyes but she skated to the music very well IMO. There was not that something that bothered me last season. Nice to see Julias new program and I liked her dress. This is sport afterall. Nice to see also that Liza is not tired after so many competitions but seems to enjoy competing.

Kutien

Final Flight
1 Julia LIPNITSKAIA RUS 69.56 video
2 Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA RUS 67.99 video
3 Kanako MURAKAMI JPN 60.44 video
4 Gabrielle DALEMAN CAN 58.49 video
5 Zijun LI CHN 53.66 video
6 Viktoria HELGESSON SWE 52.00 video
7 Polina EDMUNDS USA 50.32 video
8 Christina GAO USA 47.15 video
9 Hae Jin KIM KOR 44.72 video
10 Anne Line GJERSEM NOR 41.93 10
11 Ashley CAIN USA 39.80 video

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Maybe they're working on the edge and it's not as consistent as it was? Or maybe they just took it out of the short ot avoid an edge call?

This would not surprise me. I thought she was lucky not to get them last year. For me an obvious e, even the softest caller would have to give it a !.

Florencito

Medalist
I don't think Julia doesn't do something only because she wouldn't need it, she doesn't strike me as the type to do that. I think they're working on the edge too.

TMC

Record Breaker
Is it Chris Howarth who's commentating for Eurosport?

Whoever it is he has managed to pronounce "Elizaveta" in 6 different ways on 6 different occasions :laugh:

ETA It's Nicky Slater

begin

Medalist
Yes...she is playing someone who is in a busy metropolis(song name) who keeps looking home for her original self. Not getting lost along the way. She sets a kite free in the beginning and keeps and eye on it until she pulls it in at the end.

I definitely saw the kite and nostalgia factor so well done on her part. That said, judges don't usually treat youthful/adolescent programs kindly and I don't think Julia should be an exception.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Is it Chris Howarth who's commentating for Eurosport?

Whoever it is he has manages to pronounce "Elizaveta" in 6 different ways on 6 different occasions :laugh:

ETA It's Nicky Slater

E-LEEZ-VEE-TA?
E-LIE-ZA-VET-A?
E-LI-SA-VEET-A?
E-LE-ZVEE-TA?
E-LI-ZA-VEET-A?
E-LEEZA-VET-A?

Done!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think Julia doesn't do something only because she wouldn't need it, she doesn't strike me as the type to do that. I think they're working on the edge too.

But it makes perfect sense to start the season slow and build. Why risk points and edge calls when it's unnecassary? It's no secret she was having boot issues and took off a long break all summer. She isn't looking to peak early. Her goals are bigger than GP.

TMC

Record Breaker
E-LEEZ-VEE-TA?
E-LIE-ZA-VET-A?
E-LI-SA-VEET-A?
E-LE-ZVEE-TA?
E-LI-ZA-VEET-A?
E-LEEZA-VET-A?

Done!

He's hoping at least one of them is correct :laugh:

Pretty sure he said "Eliveta" at least once

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
3T-3T - rotations looked okay for Yulia. I'd have looked at it again if I was calling, but even on the slightly iffy quality video I think she was fine. Nowhere near as big, beautiful, or quality as Liza's.

2A still looks awful though (especially compared to Liza's.)

The difference in quality and presentation was immense. Liza is just so superior in that regard it's not even funny.

Mighty impressed by the acceleration on that candle spin at the end, though I still think that position is ugly on anybody (nearly as bad as the butt-spin). Of course, her accelerating layback is not as good as Brooklee's but no-one's is :p

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
That competition was a total splatfest. The worst I've seen in a while actually...

Julia: I think she needs to rethink her packaging. I don't think portraying a child again is a smart idea. She did that last year and it worked, but most people who already look like they're 12 don't usually try to look even younger. The "Where's Waldo" dress, half pulled down tights and pigtails...sorry but I'm not a fan. I didn't see much connection to the music in the program either, which is unfortunate. That said, she was very strong here. It's telling that she chose to ditch the 3Lz-3T and go for the 3T-3T; she and her team know that her lutz is frequently a flutz and decided not to chance it. Smart idea. I agree with her scores overall.

Liza T: She's the hardest working woman in the field! I swear this is like her 20th competition of the season and she's still kicking butt! Great jumps and presentation. I enjoyed her more than Julia. I think their scores are pretty close at this point both in TES and PCS. Julia has the edge, as expected being that she's the world silver medalist, but I do think if Julia slips up tomorrow and Liza T is clean she could sneak in and win. Either way, the top two are pretty much set.

Kanako: I'm SO sick of hearing POTO and I think her dress is yucky...but I actually enjoyed her performance a lot. It's a lovely program and, bad landing on the 3F aside, I thought she was great. I loved her happy birthday cake pillow too!

Gabrielle: Glad to see her finally skate cleanly. She's such a powerful jumper and to see her control that power and land her jumps was nice. A top 5 finish for her shouldn't be an issue.

As for everyone else, what a disappointment. If I had somewhere to be this morning I'd be uber pissed I sacrificed my sleep to watch this. What a disaster!

Gao was pleasant but those jumps were weak...

Polina, the great hope of the US ladies, is a disappointment like the rest of them. She can still bounce back with a strong FS but her likelihood of making it to the podium is very slim. She's more than 10 points out of 3rd. I guess we won't be seeing her in the Final...

Zijun Li had so much promise back in 2013 but she hasn't really improved much since then. She's a one-note skater, which is okay I guess, but it makes her a little bit boring. All of her music choices are warhorse light classical pieces. Why not go for some contemporary classical and shake it up a bit?

Ashley Cain...*sigh*

No way am I waking up early tomorrow for the FS. I'll watch it on Ice Network on-demand.

katymay

Medalist
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Julia LIPNITSKAIA (RUS) - 69.56 Short Program
2. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) - 67.99 Short Program
3. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 60.44 Short Program
4. Gabrielle DALEMAN (CAN) - 58.49 Short Program
5. Zijun LI (CHN) - 53.66 Short Program
6. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) - 52.00 Short Program
7. Polina EDMUNDS (USA) - 50.32 Short Program
8. Christina GAO (USA) - 47.15 Short Program
9. Hae Jin KIM (KOR) - 44.72 Short Program
10. Anne Line GJERSEM (NOR) - 41.93 Short Program
11. Ashley CAIN (USA) - 39.80 Short Program

Thank you so much Mao!!!! Eliza and Yulia were both wonderful, and I actually love Yulia's dress. Eliza's dress...not so much. (Is she supposed to be a bat?) Still, both seem to be at the top of their game, good for them! And yes, we might see an all Russian GPF