2014 Cup of China Ladies Short Program 11/07 | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2014 Cup of China Ladies Short Program 11/07

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I definitely saw the kite and nostalgia factor so well done on her part. That said, judges don't usually treat youthful/adolescent programs kindly and I don't think Julia should be an exception.

Well she is only 16 and playing her age. She has very difficult choreo and is trying to do a more lighthearted program after last years serious programs. I'm sure people will criticize her no matter what like last year. :bang:

elee63

Final Flight
I don't think Julia's 3T3T was UR, and I'm usually really nitpicky with jumps. The 2A was very small though - no comparison with Liza.

Might be referring to the lutztoe, which would explain why it was a 3t3t today.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well she is only 16 and playing her age. She has very difficult choreo and is trying to do a more lighthearted program after last years serious programs. I'm sure people will criticize her no matter what like last year. :bang:

*shrugs* Liza at 16 was doing much more mature programs.

It's really hard to believe, watching them one after the other, that Liza is only two years older than Yulia.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

It's really hard to believe, watching them one after the other, that Liza is only two years older than Yulia.

Wow...remember JB had a negative stalker a few weeks back...:think:

Jewels

On the Ice
I was a bit skeptical about Julia, but wow is she impressive and the last part just :eek:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wow...remember JB had a negative stalker a few weeks back...:think:

And? It's an observation. I've never thought Yulia was all that and a bag of chips anyway, but the differences between her and Liza tonight were really stark. Her spins are probably better - I really love the speed on that candle spin. She's capable of better positions in that camel, though, which I'd like to see. But in jumps, she's nowhere near Liza's standard. But that's not saying much because there are few in the world who are.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker

I remember Liza getting some criticism because of her packaging when she debuted on the GP - too much makeup, too much illusion fabric, someone even said that she was appealing to paedophiles.
IMO, Julia's packaging may not be what is expected on her second senior season, but it works for her: she looks younger than she is and she chooses to accentuate this instead of "playing grown-up".
That said, I appreciate Liza more, but that's a matter of taste.

begin

Medalist

No need to bang your head over criticism. The choreo is difficult but neither of her programs seem lighthearted? In fact they're quite parallel to her themes from last season (only inverted between the SP and FS).

Ultimately though, as you say--she's only 16. Plenty of room for her to grow this season!

elee63

Final Flight
No need to bang your head over criticism. The choreo is difficult but neither of her programs seem lighthearted? In fact they're quite parallel to her themes from last season (only inverted between the SP and FS).

Ultimately though, as you say--she's only 16. Plenty of room for her to grow this season!

Well said. People need to take a chill pill.

minze

Medalist
The Russian girls continue to reing supreme: well done!!! I would have like Liza and Yulia's scores to be closer

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Julia LIPNITSKAIA (RUS) - 69.56 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) - 67.99 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
3. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 60.44 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
4. Gabrielle DALEMAN (CAN) - 58.49 Short Program, 2nd Copy
5. Zijun LI (CHN) - 53.66 Short Program, 2nd Copy
6. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) - 52.00 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
7. Polina EDMUNDS (USA) - 50.32 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
8. Christina GAO (USA) - 47.15 Short Program, 2nd Copy
9. Hae Jin KIM (KOR) - 44.72 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
10. Anne Line GJERSEM (NOR) - 41.93 Short Program, 2nd Copy
11. Ashley CAIN (USA) - 39.80 Short Program, 2nd Copy

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I'm almost sure he said E-LA-VEE-TA twice :laugh:

I don't know why, but that is the way Nicky has always pronounced her name.

It's not always easy for people from the British Isles to get our tongues around foreign names, but in this case Nicky is making things more complicated.

If in doubt, it is best just to use the tactic of "say what you see" (as my fellow Ulsterman, Roy Walker, always said when he presented "Catchphrase").

And although it may not be entirely right (as discussed recently in the "Stupid Questions" thread - bulk of conversation on pages 73 and 74), it is nearer than Nicky's attempt! ;)

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

gotoschool

Medalist
I liked Kanako's and Elizaveta's programs the best. Elizaveta had great jumps, the opening 3T / 3T was ideal. I also thought she had the best musicality with purposeful movements that built to a cresendo and a climax. In addition, she skated with flair and conviction and I felt a lot of emotion from her, though I wish she had a bit more flexibility in the spins. But, nobody is perfect. She reminds me a little of Irina Slutskaya.

I also thought Kanako had a wonderful 3T / 3T. Despite the step out on the triple flip with a ur, I also had an emotional connection to her performance. It seems that she is trying to become more graceful and I noticed some elegant ballet steps and arm movements I had not seen before from her. I also thought she synchronized her spins well with the music at the end and that she had wonderful smooth projection and flow throughout her performance.

Julia did skate very well and she did some nice leg lifts in her step sequences that impressed me. Her jumps looked good except for the double axel lacking height. Without a doubt, she has the best spins. But, I just didn't feel as much emotional connection to her delivery as I did to Elizaveta's and Kanako's because I couldn't feel the movements connecting to the music as much as I wanted to. I also thought her jumps and PCS were scored a little generously compared to Elizavetta and Kanako.

NaVi

Medalist
I thought Yulia's SP was good but not great but after watching it again it's grown on me to the point where I think she was easily the best of the bunch... the camera angles used were horrible and I think that had a lot to do with my initial impressions.

minze

Medalist
I liked Kanako's and Elizaveta's programs the best. Elizaveta had great jumps, the opening 3T / 3T was ideal. I also thought she had the best musicality with purposeful movements that built to a cresendo and a climax. In addition, she skated with flair and conviction and I felt a lot of emotion from her, though I wish she had a bit more flexibility in the spins. But, nobody is perfect. She reminds me a little of Irina Slutskaya.

I also thought Kanako had a wonderful 3T / 3T. Despite the step out on the triple flip with a ur, I also had an emotional connection to her performance. It seems that she is trying to become more graceful and I noticed some elegant ballet steps and arm movements I had not seen before from her. I also thought she synchronized her spins well with the music at the end and that she had wonderful smooth projection and flow throughout her performance.

Julia did skate very well and she did some nice leg lifts in her step sequences that impressed me. Without a doubt, she has the best spins. But, I just didn't feel as much emotional connection to her delivery as I did to Elizaveta and Kanako because I couldn't really feel the music as much as I wanted to. I also thought her jumps and PCS were scored a little generously compared to Elizavetta and Kanako.

Agree. Yulia is amazing!!! But I think she benefited from her reputation last season. Hey the girl was the only world medallist and she did skate Clean!!

Mangomango

On the Ice
I think Yulia's step sequence was so much better than before! :D
Her spins are still amazing and I take it that she's going to change her 3t-3t to 3lz-3t later in the season?
Polina and Zijun could have done so much better... Maybe Zijun was feeling the pressure, skating in her home country.

thoakun

Final Flight
Is Polina going through a growth spurt now? She's already 164cm before growth spurt and she'll probably end up being as tall as Carolina.
Except for the last 3 skates, The ladies's SP looks like a skating show at a local mall in Madagascar. I'm really sold on Yulia now. Purposeful choreographic sequence, out-of-the-world spins and overall clean landings. There's really no hope of stopping the Russian skaters at the moment. Btw, the filming doesn't seem to do most skaters justic.