2014 Skate America Men's FS 10/25 | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate America Men's FS 10/25

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Just finished watching: not a great event overall, but two superbe highlights!
Machida is :points: for me at the moment: his choreography is really difficult, and I mean not just because of the steps themsvelves, but also because the music is a difficult one to interpret (they didn't choose the best parts, just as for example V/T with their JCS), and all those movements can easily become awkward if they are not performed with 100% commitment; you can really see that he's paying attention to every single thing he's executing on the ice, and I'm happy that the judges rewarded him!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Manage to catch up everything.. initial impressions.

Jeremy and Denis have the best programs this season so far. Jeremy's FS program is particularly poignant as if he is writing his own epitah.. or reminded me the final credits section of his figure skating movie. Seamless complex emotional realisation sustained for 4.5 minutes of meditation, totally old school and something not capable by majority of the competitive mens (boys) today. That is why it is particularly sad for me to see this off to a slow start. Seems he sacrificed jump consistency/ambition for artistic consistency. I can really like this program, lets hope it survives the US Nationals and then World Championships, a grand finale.

I was initially hugely excited by the potential of Denis's FS program early in the season, but think it still require some work. The program suffers the same problem as a typical COP program, to only really comes to life in the second half but when it get good, it is really good. I blame the COP / choreographer more than the skater. How is Denis's fitness? His pale lips, complexion and out of breathe at the end of the program worries me a bit.. reminded me of Hanyu for some reason.

Machida, hmmm... I generally find his skating a bit cold and monotone (on the tone of intensity). He skate well, but it feels like he want to out do Artur in the plusheko-ness. It feels forced and put upon, can't really explain it. Anyway, he will probably do well WC with only him and Hanyu holding up the Japan federation interests.

Jason Brown, no goofiness here. Still I think he was generously marked. The program and its interpretation does nothing for me. What is so Tristian and Isolde about it? Love, Loss, Romanticism? He could have skated to anything. His costume might as well be from Game of Thrones, Robin Hood and band of thieves or the Flintstones.

Nam... good for him, but lacking distinctive flavour or seasoning. There's a reason why I prefer mature mutton over baby lambs :p

Honourable mention, MCM. I'll give him 2 years time. So much promise, and I enjoyed his POTO despite the hiccups.

JayW

Final Flight
Nam is so cute. However, he reminds me of Yulia Lipnitskaya. I worry that those quick rotating jumps may have problems as he grows. Am I alone?

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Nam is so cute. However, he reminds me of Yulia Lipnitskaya. I worry that those quick rotating jumps may have problems as he grows. Am I alone?

I think that he is getting more height on jumps from last seasons, not much but there is progression

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Denis' LP performance is not good. all his moves is only half there, so lost a lot of nuance . he must be very tired or something. on first day practice his performance looked much better.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Denis' LP performance is not good. all his moves is only half there, so lost a lot of nuance . he must be very tired or something. on first day practice his performance looked much better.

I thought he looked ill, food poison or something.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Michael need a great polisher. really, this kid has potential and heart. went all out there in all practice sessions. but his technique needs polish, all of them. I hope he can get a experienced coach some day.
Jason is great to watch up-close, his dance moves is so very difficult and so expressive and creative. but watch from above. his speed is a bit slower, and less impressive then Jeremy. and his jumps really needs height and more power. also his dance just need just a little bit sharpness. then he will be the king.

thoakun

Final Flight
I'm glad I am not the only one starting to scratch my head. Something about their interactions, just do not seem to demonstrate Yuka having authority over him. Their interactions seem almost more that of equals or partners. I am not sure that is ideal. I can't help but feel the coach should appear the dominant party. Maybe Jeremy just needs a softer touch, or at least responds better to it.
I wonder if it's Yuka's style, as she had the same sweet, endearing interaction with Alissa. Yuka is a classy woman, but somehow I can't help but feel that she's too sweet to be a coach. She seems to take after her mother, Kumiko Sato, who is more like an assistant to Nobuo Sato and provides emotional support to Mao instead of coaching.

caitie

Medalist
Who would have though he has better PCS than reinging Olympics medalist. Better skating skill, too. Give me a break.

He got two points better than a reigning Olympic medalist who pretty much bombed his LP. Aren't we always saying we wish PCS would follow the performances given and rely less on reputation?

ETA: Poor D10 has the worst luck! I love his LP and hope he is healthy ASAP.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
ITA. I think Denis has great potential in his program, but with his performance today, it looked pretty dull and lifeless until the last quarter of the program. Not to mention the failed jumps.
Jason sold the program the whole way through and in the end had a higher TES than Denis.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

MIM

Medalist
Manage to catch up everything.. initial impressions.

Jeremy and Denis have the best programs this season so far. Jeremy's FS program is particularly poignant as if he is writing his own epitah.. or reminded me the final credits section of his figure skating movie. Seamless complex emotional realisation sustained for 4.5 minutes of meditation, totally old school and something not capable by majority of the competitive mens (boys) today. That is why it is particularly sad for me to see this off to a slow start. Seems he sacrificed jump consistency/ambition for artistic consistency. I can really like this program, lets hope it survives the US Nationals and then World Championships, a grand finale.

I was initially hugely excited by the potential of Denis's FS program early in the season, but think it still require some work. The program suffers the same problem as a typical COP program, to only really comes to life in the second half but when it get good, it is really good. I blame the COP / choreographer more than the skater. How is Denis's fitness? His pale lips, complexion and out of breathe at the end of the program worries me a bit.. reminded me of Hanyu for some reason.

Machida, hmmm... I generally find his skating a bit cold and monotone (on the tone of intensity). He skate well, but it feels like he want to out do Artur in the plusheko-ness. It feels forced and put upon, can't really explain it. Anyway, he will probably do well WC with only him and Hanyu holding up the Japan federation interests.

Jason Brown, no goofiness here. Still I think he was generously marked. The program and its interpretation does nothing for me. What is so Tristian and Isolde about it? Love, Loss, Romanticism? He could have skated to anything. His costume might as well be from Game of Thrones, Robin Hood and band of thieves or the Flintstones.

Nam... good for him, but lacking distinctive flavour or seasoning. There's a reason why I prefer mature mutton over baby lambs :p

Honourable mention, MCM. I'll give him 2 years time. So much promise, and I enjoyed his POTO despite the hiccups.

I agree mostly with you.

I was not moved by Jeremy's sp. I guess the sp was too simple and short to demonstrate his artistry. But I get his fs. It was the master piece to me. He was expressive without being loud. June hyung Lee said in one of his interview with a korean media he admires Jeremy as his most favorite skater. I am pleased there are some boys who weigh artistry over competitiveness.

I believe in Denis and his program. He will thrive next time or next next time...

I have no doubt that Machida has great work ethics- technique wise and performance wise. I am sorry to say this ( I sound needy). He needs more than that. Or, less than that.

Jason,,,, I just want to see him in a different costume. That only will give me a different impression.

I think Nam has the best coach, who has distinctive and very successful strategy for him.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Machida was superb. Definitely looking to be a top contender this season. Predicting top 3 GPF placement. I also completely disagree with negative comments about his performance, i believe that he's currently the best at performance for male skaters.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Machida was superb. Definitely looking to be a top contender this season. Predicting top 3 GPF placement. I also completely disagree with negative comments about his performance, i believe that he's currently the best at performance for male skaters.
To put it more simple: he is doing very well and everyone is saying he is a top contender (actually they already said this last season at WC). But it's true that, currently he is kinda overdramatic (both programs) and monotonous and somewhat forceful. Obviously if I were the judges I wouldn't care that much because as a judge my job is checking the elements and level of execution so he will definitely get high score.
But why some people criticize his programs? Because they are audiences who want to enjoy a program, not to be overdosed. I'd say I enjoy Jason much much more, and even Nam.
And I agree with mimtang, if he tones down the drama a bit, it would be more enjoyable.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Well, I liked Tatsuki much more than Jason and Nam. ;) There is never going to be a consensus about this as everyone's tastes are different.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Right. Now that the Free Dance highlights have finished, the British Eurosport coverage of the Free Programmes will continue after the break with highlights of the Men's Free, followed by LIVE coverage of the Pairs Free and the Ladies Free.

Unfortunately, www.day.to doesn't have a British Eurosport 2 stream today. But, in the Free Dance thread, Alba has kindly confirmed that it is also being shown on Eurosport 2 International:

Eurosport 2 International Livestream

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Machida and Nguyen were the highlights of the freeskte for me. Maybe Abbott should give up trying to jump the quad in the freeskate as it apparently makes him too nervous? Anyway, it is always a pleasure to watch Abbott´s interpretative moves on the ice. He sure skates big and has speed on the ice! Brown would be imressive, if he would have more speed. He has plenty of small interesting details in the programme which make him skate with veeeery little of speed lots of times. If he would combine all those details with speed on the ice in the same time, the result would be really something.

supsu

On the Ice
To put it more simple: he is doing very well and everyone is saying he is a top contender (actually they already said this last season at WC). But it's true that, currently he is kinda overdramatic (both programs) and monotonous and somewhat forceful. Obviously if I were the judges I wouldn't care that much because as a judge my job is checking the elements and level of execution so he will definitely get high score.
But why some people criticize his programs? Because they are audiences who want to enjoy a program, not to be overdosed. I'd say I enjoy Jason much much more, and even Nam.
And I agree with mimtang, if he tones down the drama a bit, it would be more enjoyable.

Last season i got goose pumps all over me during his sp the first time he performed it and later on too when he was clean. It was very very special. This season i think he's amazing and a strong performer and jumper and should get scored big but his programs don't give me the same feeling. They are however very good programs without getting into the details of them.