2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Mens SP 11/21 | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Mens SP 11/21

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Aw, Hanee. :cry:

I don't blame him for feeling that way. That's a really tough hurdle to get over. Here's hoping he'll comeback tomorrow.

Actually what cracked me up is this: 'Russia's Konstantin Menshov settled for the third place temporarily with a short program score of 87.47.'

Temporarily?

Hmm, either someone has a crystal ball or their journalistic objectivity is a bit cloudy! :)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

I have to say my respect for him has gone up a lot for admitting this. It is not often you see athletes admit to being human for lack of a better way to put it. I think it is great he is admitting there is a mental aspect to it, and it can by psychologically scary afterwards. Good for him. Seeing someone of his level able to admit to this may help others feel like they can ask for help.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
The 2 highlights for me were Denis Ten and Konstantin Menshov. Both improved drastically since the previous GP. Unlike Machida who was much less convincing. Kovtun is omg although in general I think he skates now better than before. He also looks somewhat bigger - may be he is still growing and that explains his instability.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Rewatching Kovtun on Eurosport with commentary in HD... did anyone see a smirking Frank Carroll trying to contain himself in the background as Kovtun walk off the ice?

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Rave for Denis from the Eurosport commentary boyz. Different league! ... and I agree! He deserve much more higher PCS than Kovtun!

Last edited:

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Denis TEN (KAZ) - 91.78 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Tatsuki MACHIDA (JPN) - 88.70 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
3. Konstantin MENSHOV (RUS) - 87.47 Short Program, 2nd Copy
4. Richard DORNBUSH (USA) - 80.24 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
5. Chafik BESSEGHIER (FRA) - 78.22 Short Program, 2nd Copy
6. Maxim KOVTUN (RUS) - 77.11 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
7. Adam RIPPON (USA) - 76.98 Short Program, 2nd Copy
8. Adian PITKEEV (RUS) - 76.21 Short Program, 2nd Copy
9. Florent AMODIO (FRA) - 75.07 Short Program, 2nd Copy
10. Han YAN (CHN) - 73.18 Short Program, 2nd Copy
11. Douglas RAZZANO (USA) - 64.98 Short Program

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Rewatching Kovtun on Eurosport with commentary in HD... did anyone see a smirking Frank Carroll trying to contain himself in the background as Kovtun walk off the ice?

Oh give the man a break. I didn't see a smirk there. Frank is far too professional to do something as stupid as smirk in public at a skating event at a skater who had a tough performance. Frank is far too classy for that.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Re-watching Dornbush I have to say that I thought it was so sweet when he got off the ice and said "Thank you for watching" to the camera.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker

That was very visible. My wife even said: "look at the bold guy laughing at Kovtun". Hope he in fact did not laugh at Kovtun, otherwise it is not polite.

Just rewatched. He did laugh as Kovtun was passing. But he did not look at him. So I guess, it was just a coincidence.

Last edited:

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
After reading the comments I expected a total meltdown from Kovtun, a kind of like Yulia at COC. But it was not.
He fall twice, but overall it was a strong skate, not even close to a disaster as some posters here say. Some parts were even better than at COC.

Denis Ten :cheer2: and Menshov :cheer: - my two favorite men at TEB were brilliant tonight.

Dots

Final Flight
It's obvious Rippon's stock has fallen, but his only option at this moment is too keep skating clean, even if that included opting out of a quad.

He needs to win those judges back by being consistent so that he gets those extra points once he gets to the big tournaments. This is by far Rippon's best short program in years.

BounceAround

On the Ice
That was very visible. My wife even said: "look at the bold guy laughing at Kovtun". Hope he in fact did not laugh at Kovtun, otherwise it is not polite.

I think it's very cool that you and your wife watch skating together. It must be nice to have someone who shares your interest. :)

juuryokunashi

On the Ice
^^ ITA re Ten should be scored even higher on PCS (despite I earlier said the PCS tie with Machida seemed fair). Ten is actually a much more naturally blessed artistic skater, while Machida has studied hard to get where he is artistically. It could come down to a matter of taste perhaps since Machida is almost a bit overwrought with his stretching, posing, gesturing and drama, while Denis is simply smoother and more organically sublime.

Pardon me for looking like I'm nitpicking, I understand what you're trying to say, but your statement implies that someone who just 'learned' something/was not naturally gifted does not deserve to win/get higher scores than someone who was 'born with talent'. It feels like you're saying that learning and progressing is unimportant and that only those with natural skills should do what they are good at (in this case, skating).

While I agree that Denis looked much more smoother on ice compared to Tatsu, Denis' skate left me empty and did not actually blow me away, no matter how flawless/perfect it was. It was with that same feeling that I wondered just how he got his Olympic bronze (not to say he didn't deserve it, he probably does, just you know, I wish he did more). I've yet to see a skate from him that impressed me (but I'm not a judge, or some expert on FS, just a casual fan). Tatsu on the other hand, while he has a penchant for theatrics, you can see he puts his A game out there, and you know he tried to give it his all, and he has moments that really does blow everyone away.

Again I'm not trying to pick a fight here--you did say it all boils down to personal tastes--but I just thought it's unfair to sweep hard work and dedication under the rug just because someone isn't 'naturally-gifted'.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Adam needs to stop doing so many arm-over-the-head jumps. It too often tilts the jump and makes the rotation more squeaky. He should focus on doing big, powerful jumps. One solo "rippon" Lutz in the LP is enough. A trademark move stops becoming special when you throw it around like a pair of socks.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Re-watching Dornbush I have to say that I thought it was so sweet when he got off the ice and said "Thank you for watching" to the camera.

Loved that too! And then in the K&C he said: "Hi everyone on NBC... if they even show me on there... maybe!"

:love:

It's obvious Rippon's stock has fallen, but his only option at this moment is too keep skating clean, even if that included opting out of a quad.

The main problem isn't his quad, it's his damn triple axel.