2015-2016 Men's Power Rankings | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2015-2016 Men's Power Rankings

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If Aaron can hold pressure and reapeat level from Skate America he should be in, but it will be fight with Murakami for that spot at TEB I guess. 1st and 2nd it will Chan and Uno imo unless they bomb

I think Max only needs a bronze - or could actually finish fourth if everything else went his way - and still make it. Bronze is certainly doable for him at TEB.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
That would be one :popcorn: battle for GPF bronze.

I don't think there will be any battle at all for the bronze. Hanyu, Fernandez, and Chan are obviously the top 3 and nothing is going to unseat any of them this season unless they perform terribly. Chan with a 3Axel fall will still place ahead of clean SP's from Jin or Aaron, then in the LP the PCS gap will be huge. Dennis Ten would be the most likely candidate to break it up but he's too inconsistent and his programs aren't that good this season. The judges are going to hold him down on a lower level now, unless he has another miraculous 4CC performance (but even skating like that he's not sure to win the event, if Hanyu and Chan attend).

tzazu

Medalist
That would be one :popcorn: battle for GPF bronze.

I don't think there will be any battle at all for the bronze :scratch3:. Chan, Hanyu & Fernandez are obviously the top 3 unless they bomb (something similar to Hanyu's SP in SC :handw:)

Last edited:

Bumdid

Record Breaker
I don't think there will be any battle at all for the bronze :scratch3:. Chan, Hanyu & Fernandez are obviously the top 3 unless they bomb (something similar to Hanyu's SP in SC :handw:)

To be fair, stranger thing has happened before. GPF seems to bring the worst out of some skaters. I predicted Machida :)cry:) to be on the podium last year and somehow Voronov out of all the skater got in.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Hanyu, Chan, Uno, Jin, Fernandez, Aaron this GPF lineup would be interesting , although I would like Murakami also in

Aaron being overscored at Skate America will probably bar Murakami entrance to the GPF, but we'll have to see if Murakami deserves to beat him at TEB. If he doesn't then it's a moot point.

Kovtun could still go ahead both of them too, although that seems very unlikely.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Aaron being overscored at Skate America will probably bar Murakami entrance to the GPF, but we'll have to see if Murakami deserves to beat him at TEB. If he doesn't then it's a moot point.

Kovtun could still go ahead both of them too, although that seems very unlikely.

And yet, last year...:dumb:
I like Kovtun's programs this year. They are funny and he seems more comfortable in them.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
To be fair, stranger thing has happened before. GPF seems to bring the worst out of some skaters. I predicted Machida :)cry:) to be on the podium last year and somehow Voronov out of all the skater got in.

And there was Javi's glorious short program last season. (Bronze or not, it was so NOT the kind of performance that can guarantee a spot on the podium). I do not think he will feel as much pressure this season, since it is clear Spain wants to host more international events with him in them. But really . . . bombing is one of those things the men do best. And sometimes it seems like the more they win with mistakes, the more apocalyptic they get with said mistakes. In any case, Shoma has already shown he can score high enough for them all to worry. And shown that he can implode just as well as the rest of them.

tzazu

Medalist

Yeah, that's true;:hopelessness: in ladies field is quite difficult to predict something too, so more emotion :hap93:

Rissa

Record Breaker
I actually don't think this lineup would be too difficult to achieve. Javier's got the podium finish basically guaranteed in COC and COR, same with Yuzuru and NHK (though a bronze would be dangerous). Boyang, I think only Jason or Maxim could keep him off the podium at NHK if he lands his quads, and they would need to be as clean as possible, too. And if Max, Patrick and Shoma finish with medals at TEB, I think they'll rack up enough points. With Daisuke it would be harder since he has a bronze while the other three have golds and silver, he would have to rely on the other's mistakes a lot.

If Boyang actually lands eveything well, then I don't think Jason or Maxim could keep him off the podium even if they are clean.

Ophelia

Record Breaker

Those three bomb frequently.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Those three bomb frequently.

They don't bomb frequently. They make some mistakes, which is very different, it's part of what makes them some of the best in the field. The don't bomb constantly, they go for difficult elements and don't end up falling all over the place (as in several falls because really, one fall is to be expected nowadays). Yuzuru hadn't got a score that low in a SP since 2010, it's not usual to see Javier have a SP like he did at at last year's GPF.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
FWIW

2013 Worlds
Chan
Ten
Fernandez
Hanyu
Reynolds

2014 Olympics
Hanyu
Chan
Ten
Fernandez
Machida

2014 Worlds (No Chan, No Ten)
Hanyu
Machida
Fernandez
Kovtun
Abbott

2015 Worlds (No Chan)
Fernandez
Hanyu
Ten
Brown
Nguyen

So some combination of those (Chan, Hanyu and Fernandez three have finished at least in the top 4 in the last four competitions with Ten playing spoiler or rose to the opportunity when one of the three did not perform well or did not participate)

So my prediction for 2016, based on past patterns, is that one of the Holy Men's trinity will end up underperforming and someone will rise to the occasion. Ten is a frequent candidate but there's a whole slew of other men who can fill in that role.

So my power rankings after 3 GP:

1.) Chan
2.) Hanyu
3.) Fernandez
4.) Jin
5.) Uno
6.) Aaron
7.) Murakami
8.) Brown
9.) Han
10.) Rippon

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i'd say ten was part of the fab four :) maybe because i'm atheist but also because he's medaled at every one of these events you've highlighted....except when he wasn't there... which actually gives him a better record than most.
FWIW

2013 Worlds
Chan
Ten
Fernandez
Hanyu
Reynolds

2014 Olympics
Hanyu
Chan
Ten
Fernandez
Machida

2014 Worlds (No Chan, No Ten)
Hanyu
Machida
Fernandez
Kovtun
Abbott

2015 Worlds (No Chan)
Fernandez
Hanyu
Ten
Brown
Nguyen

So some combination of those (Chan, Hanyu and Fernandez three have finished at least in the top 4 in the last four competitions with Ten playing spoiler or rose to the opportunity when one of the three did not perform well or did not participate)

So my prediction for 2016, based on past patterns, is that one of the Holy Men's trinity will end up underperforming and someone will rise to the occasion. Ten is a frequent candidate but there's a whole slew of other men who can fill in that role.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
i'd say ten was part of the fab four :) maybe because i'm atheist but also because he's medaled at every one of these events you've highlighted....except when he wasn't there... which actually gives him a better record than most.

Well feel free to use any applicable term that suits your personal beliefs. :)

You do have a good point about Ten though. Though I can't help but still consider him a spoiler because he has such a poor first half/GP that he often ends up playing the spoiler role because nobody really knows what to expect. Ten will probably that role in 2016, but I'm not going to be surprise if an entirely different man plays spoiler either.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
2010 GPF: Patrick
2011 Worlds: Patrick

2011 GPF: Patrick
2012 4CC: Patrick
2012 Worlds: Patrick

2013 Europeans: Javier
2013 Worlds: Patrick

2013 GPF: Yuzuru
2014 Europeans: Javier
2014 Olympics: Yuzuru
2014 Worlds: Yuzuru

2014 GPF: Yuzuru
2015 Europeans: Javier
2015 4CC: Denis
2015 Worlds: Javier

I think that's a pretty good track record for "bombing frequently".

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yeah... i know... ten is not so good early in the season... and rises for the big skates... reverse sandhu effect ;)
Well feel free to use any applicable term that suits your personal beliefs. :)

You do have a good point about Ten though. Though I can't help but still consider him a spoiler because he has such a poor first half/GP that he often ends up playing the spoiler role because nobody really knows what to expect. Ten will probably that role in 2016, but I'm not going to be surprise if an entirely different man plays spoiler either.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker

With how competitive the rest of the field is looking, I wouldn't be surprised. These guys are great but they will really have to deliver to get on the podium in Boston.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
D10 is injured right? From skate america indication, it looks pretty bad and i don't think he will recover in time for world and given his rate of inconsistency i don't see him being on the top three.

My ranking:
Chan
Hanyu
Fernandez
Umo
Aaron
Jin