2015 Cup of China Ladies Short Program

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jumpamatron under construction.

**Spoiler alert***

The calls are pretty spot on although I'm not so sure about the loop. A lot of pre pre going on :p

3dsushi

On the Ice
I think it makes sense for a loop in combination (2nd jump) to have some pre-rotation, because it gives the skater the power she/he needs to vault back in the air and complete another triple. If you think about it, it's the only jump that doesn't have an assisting leg (besides a 3A) to help a skater get into the air and rotate fully. Every other jump you use your other leg to vault you back up for the second jump except a loop.

Yeah its natural for a skater to pre-rotate on 3loop as a combination. But i think the judging is so nitpicky and restrictive, it restricts the skaters like Mao who wants to perform a difficult program. I know a clean and easier program can rack up +GOE but I think its time for the judges to reward points on difficulty on any element

David21

On the Ice
Let me laugh. Are we watching the same sport? The woman gets call all the time. Your problem is that you want Mao to get call for every jump.

She ur's almost every jump, that's the problem. I have already given examples in this thread about her SP. In fact, the axel was the least ur'ed of all of her four triple jumos and even that jump was questionable :laugh:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Just watched the ladies SP. Thoughts:

Ziquan Zhao and the other host pick

Better than I expected (both had nice laybacks) but nothing special.

Zijun Li

:love:! This Clair De Lune program is perfect for her and when the jumps come together, I imagine it'll be gorgeous. I also like her costume.

Hannah Miller

Whatever this "Bollywood Asturias Remix" program is (actually called Arabesque), it's awesome! It shows more sass and personality than her previous programs. Probably tied with Mao and Karen for my favorite programs of the SP.

Karen Chen

Not as good as SA, but the program is still spectacular. I really think she's something special and if she ever skates two clean programs in one event, it would be truly breathtaking.

Nicole Rajicova

Meh.

So-Youn Park

I didn't watch her because I do not feel like having my heart broken right now.
Elena Radionova

First off, I love her dress!

Second, I was amazed by how much older she looked here. I don't know if it was the hair (dyed?), or the program, or just that she's grown so much, but she doesn't look like a spindly 12-year-old anymore. My Princess of Twirly Biellmans seems to have aged about five years in six months! :laugh: Anyway, aside from the new mature look, this program was not really that bad. It was a little flaily, but I liked it more than most people here did. And kudos for tacking the 3T onto the loop after she missed the 3-3...that took guts.

Anna Pogorilaya

Also kind of meh. Her skating isn't honestly all that special to me, and when the jumps are off, um...goodbye. Also, the dress needs to go. She is way too pretty to be consistently having at least one bad dress...

Courtney Hicks

Good for her! A podium place after the short at a GP has got to be a confidence-booster, especially when she missed an element. Not a huge fan of the program, but this was a step in the right direction.

Rika Hongo

She is so much better than last year and I kind of love it! It is SO refreshing when a skater can actually be counted on and you don't have to fear for your life whenever you watch them. :laugh2:

Mao Asada

SHE'S BACK, Y'ALL!!
:dance2:
I LOVE this short program for her! It shows a side of her that we haven't really seen before (her inner Wenjing Sui-Type Confident Sass Queen :p) and it's really great. I also love the dress! And also 3A! AND ALSO UHWIOFHWEIOFHIWOHWROIFHEW!!!!

I really love her right now.
Also, I cannot be the only person who thought her music was saying "My dear Mr. Shane," can I? ...

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I think judging was quite good tonight.

Mao skated effortlessly. She has the best skating skill in the current field, no doubt. But she is not invulnerable especially to clean Liza. Her 3A was borderline, she tries some trick entry on lutz same as Medvedeva did last season but it is a clear flutz anyway. So if Liza comes back to her last season's own self it is going to be an epic standoff. Ad it is not like Mao can fall more than once and still win everything.

I liked a lot Elena and I was never a fan of hers before. Her skating and interpretation improved and became more mature at the same time. She herself looked much more mature at K&C. Sad about the jumps. Unlike Yulia her body has not changed visually. I think there is a good chance that she overcomes her issues quite soon. And her dress was just gorgeous.

Rika is the queen of reliability. But her skating was and remains so rough. I think she will keep getting 185 - 190 and winning podiums when favorites melt down.

Poor Anna. She could secure the second spot if she showed same skating as in Saransk. Mental issues again. Can she show the teeth?

Quite an interesting season. It is good that top Russian skaters struggle now. Some may not succeed but others who overcome the issues will be in a terrific shape before the Olympics. The strength in numbers.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Those of you who believe Mao's 3A should have been called UR - I don't think you know how to look at 3A rotations.

As far as the 3Lo is concerned, I do think it had quite a bit more pre-rotation than usual. When I examine the rotation of a loop I usually assume 180 degrees pre-rotation (i.e. foot takeoff forwards) and then look at how hooked the landing is relative to that (assuming 2.25 rotations in the air is sufficient). So in this case I thought it was borderline <<. Still between 1/4 short and 1/2 short, but closer to 1/2 short.

As for Lutz rotation, I think it got the "benefit of doubt" and was called in favor of the skater, and I think she deserved the negative GOE because of the unsatisfactory rotation.

All in all I agree with all the calls Mao got.

aa456

On the Ice
I agree with most of you. The tech calls for Mao seemed fair to me. Remember folks it's the first competition of the season for Mao after a year off. She can't be perfect from the get-go

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Mao Asada

Also, I cannot be the only person who thought her music was saying "My dear Mr. Shane," can I? ...

The part of the lyrics that sticks out to me is "I could say Belllaa, Bellllllaaaaa." Not sure if that's right either.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Let me laugh. Are we watching the same sport? The woman gets call all the time. Your problem is that you want Mao to get call for every jump.

Great post, but don't feed the trolls. Mao could land 8 clean triples and score 160 and the haters would still hate her(even more), try to bash her by nitpicking her jumps, write only negative criticism etc. Some people rarely post here, except to bash Mao(or other jpn skaters) when she competes. It's weird, but it's true. The bots are still alive, look at the number of thumbs down in her videos, even when she hits, for example, 268 thumbs down for that wonderful JO performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj4EyYCKvJQ
Anyway, Asada isn't perfect, she has problems like any other skater, but it's not like she gets away with it. Actually the contrary. She has to fight for every jump, every goe and every program component everytime.

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
Great post, but don't feed the trolls. Mao could land 8 clean triples and score 160 and the haters would still hate her(even more), try to bash her by nitpicking her jumps, write only negative criticism etc. Some people rarely post here, except to bash Mao(or other jpn skaters) when she competes. It's weird, but it's true. The bots are still alive, look at the number of thumbs down in her videos, even when she hits, for example, 268 thumbs down for that wonderful JO performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj4EyYCKvJQ
Anyway, Asada isn't perfect, she has problems like any other skater, but it's not like she gets away with it. Actually the contrary. She has to fight for every jump, every goe and every program component everytime.

Welcome to the club, exactly the same happens with russian skaters (check what people said about Eugenia and Liza in the respective GP threads) - and most likely all top skaters, please dont think it is exclusive of Mao or jpn skaters =). There are always people who whine about terrible jump technique, 20 rounds of puberty, awful programs, too many / not enough transitions, lame music choices, not enough speed and blablabla.

Franklin99

Medalist
Last edited:

bluelutz

On the Ice
The part of the lyrics that sticks out to me is "I could say Belllaa, Bellllllaaaaa." Not sure if that's right either.

"Bei Mir Bist Du Schon" was a huge hit for the Andres sisters in 1937,
and it is originally a Yiddish song.
This title is Germanized version of the Yiddish one "Bei Mir Bistu Shein"

https://youtu.be/orph2wkLFbI

"Bei Mir Bist Du Schon

Of all the boys I've known and I've known some
Until I first met you I was lonesome
And when you came in sight, dear, my heart grew light
And this old world seemed new to me

You're really swell, I have to admit you
Deserve expressions that really fit you
And so I've racked my brain hoping to explain
All the things that you do to me

Bei mir bist du schön, please let me explain
'Bei mir bist du schön' means you're grand
Bei mir bist du schön, again I'll explain
It means you're the fairest in the land

I could say 'bella, bella' even 'sehr wunderbar'
Each language only helps me tell you how grand you are
I've tried to explain, 'bei mir bist du schön'
So kiss me and say you understand

Bei mir bist du schön
You've heard it all before but let me try to explain

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 3A looked within the 1/4 turn. The combo was a bit short, but I'm not sure if it was because of the 3F or 3L. From the angle of the camera, I couldn't see if her foot went in right before takeoff or stayed flat, but it didn't look UR to me.

My analysis for anyone who is interested.

3A: Full BV should be given and yes it is fully rotated. I personally would be a little disappointed in any positive GOE for this jump due to the scratchy landing that outweighed the positive attributes. I would expect a judge would score this 0 to -1 on GOE. She can do better so lets save the positive GOE for those jumps.

3f-3lo: I think the loop was borderline at best. If it was my call alone I'd give it a UR because of the loop probably being beyond borderline by but I would love to see some good positive GOE on it. Maybe a +2. The loop in real time looks great and is the best part of the jump.

3Lze: This is a very obvious edge call. Ding the BV and leave the GOE around 0 to -1 again.

Last edited:

Franklin99

Medalist
My analysis for anyone who is interested.

3A: Full BV should be given and yes it is fully rotated. I personally would be a little disappointed in any positive GOE for this jump due to the scratchy landing that outweighed the positive attributes. I would expect a judge would score this 0 to -1 on GOE. She can do better so lets save the positive GOE for those jumps.

3f-3lo: I think the loop was borderline at best. If it was my call alone I'd give it a UR because of the loop probably being beyond borderline by but I would love to see some good positive GOE on it. Maybe a +2. The loop in real time looks great and is the best part of the jump.

3Lze: This is a very obvious edge call. Ding the BV and leave the GOE around 0 to -1 again.

How amazing would it be if they had a camera under ice to monitor the exact takeoff/landing of every jump.