2015 Finlandia Trophy Ladies SP and FS | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2015 Finlandia Trophy Ladies SP and FS

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
Julia will have to fight to get on the podium now, not first place unfortunately....

There are just too many Russians who are stronger than her now.

It's interesting to see how she will deal with this situation. Being the huntress should be nothing new to her. She was in a similar position in the pre-Olympics time, which was all about Liza and Adelina. Question is if she can find a way to finally shake off her Sochi demons and mentally return to that time. It has been only 20 months since Sochi, but in this short time very much has changed in her life.

seal

Spectator
Having Mishin as a coach didn't mean that everything went smoothly for Liza. She had a hard time for quite awhile as well. And Eteri is supporting her...what exactly do you think she isn't doing?
I think Tutberidze lacks experience and patience. I think she is hungry for success - such as Yulia gave her two seasons ago.
I am not sure what kind of "support" would be best now, what kind of guidance.
Last season GP Yulia get worse from competition to competition. Then she appeared overtrained. Now I can't say - is she tired and overtrained or simply unprepared? She lost her jumps (it is not the matter of this competition but it looked poor at Russian open skates.
For me it looks like Yulia lost trust in Eteri and they are no more team.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I think Tutberidze lacks experience and patience. I think she is hungry for success - such as Yulia gave her two seasons ago.
I am not sure what kind of "support" would be best now, what kind of guidance.
Last season GP Yulia get worse from competition to competition. Then she appeared overtrained. Now I can't say - is she tired and overtrained or simply unprepared? She lost her jumps (it is not the matter of this competition but it looked poor at Russian open skates.
For me it looks like Yulia lost trust in Eteri and they are no more team.

All I can say is, this isn't what Julia says in her interviews. In the most recent one she said she gets a lot of support from Etri.

I also always feel Etri and her skaters seem to have very good rapport in the kiss and cry.

I personally do not think a coaching change would be helpful at this time or that the coaching is the problem, especially if Julia is in fact happy with her coach.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
My favorite rude behavior on the podium was at the 1994 Olympics. Oksana Baiul cried so many tears of joy that it made her make-up run. They had to delay the ceremony to re-touch it for the photographers. This obviously ticked Nancy Kerrigan off, who had some choice comments, eye rolling, and body language. Nancy might have gotten away with that, but the next week she was supposed to take pictures with Mickey Mouse at Disneyworld, and while she was waiting said very audibly, "This is the stupidest thing I have ever done." (Million-dollar sponsor Disney was not amused. :laugh: )

Lol I remember this. The ceremony was actually delayed because they couldn't find a copy of the Ukrainian National anthem.

DexterK

On the Ice
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Are you suggesting that skating fans shouldn't throw anything on the ice because it's a waste of their time? Or that skaters should be chucking all their gifts into a trash can in the K&C while they await their scores?

Why would a skater who's lower in the standings want Yulia's roses?

I am not saying that fans should or should not do what they want to do.
Nor am I saying what skaters should or should not do.
Thank you for asking and attempting to understand, as you seem to struggle a bit with the obvious sarcasm and humor in my previous post.
I am saying is that as I would not want flowers or stuffed animals. I would not want them in general, but I also can not understand why a skater would want them either as they are soon to be flying back home and will not take these tokens of appreciation with them. I would prefer a card or letter as these are more personal and are easier to transport and in turn keep.

Does this make sense to you?

If not, no worries. The image of a skater throwing flowers in the trash on camera is golden.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Didn't Irina Slutskaya throw her Olympic silver medal into the trash can in front of the camera in 2002? :laugh:

I thought it was her bronze in 2006, and I don't think we have pics of it. I have found contemporary reports, but just people claiming it.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I am not saying that fans should or should not do what they want to do.
Nor am I saying what skaters should or should not do.
Thank you for asking and attempting to understand, as you seem to struggle a bit with the obvious sarcasm and humor in my previous post.
I am saying is that as I would not want flowers or stuffed animals. I would not want them in general, but I also can not understand why a skater would want them either as they are soon to be flying back home and will not take these tokens of appreciation with them. I would prefer a card or letter as these are more personal and are easier to transport and in turn keep.

Does this make sense to you?

If not, no worries. The image of a skater throwing flowers in the trash on camera is golden.

If I were a skater I'd prefer pizza, chocolate... etc on ice. In short something edible. :popcorn:

DexterK

On the Ice
If I were a skater I'd prefer pizza, chocolate... etc on ice. In short something edible. :popcorn:

Haha!! I completely support throwing pizza on the ice. A nice big slice of it, skidding right across center ice until it hits the boards...while the next skater searches for pepperoni slices before starting their program.

Hilarious. Thank you for sharing.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nice...so at least these flowers have made it to the Hotel Rooms. :thumbsup:

Then they dissolve into a puff of sparkles and sequins and vanish.

Well...they are not going to let someone like Yulia board an airline with weapons like that in her possession :biggrin:

usethis2

Medalist
Not at all surprised about Lipnitskaya's jumps (I and many others kind of knew it's coming) but I am very surprised about her deteriorated skating skills and short stamina. She is not even 18, is she?

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not at all surprised about Lipnitskaya's jumps (I and many others kind of knew it's coming) but I am very surprised about her deteriorated skating skills and short stamina. She is not even 18, is she?

Yes some things are beyond predictable :laugh:

I really think her fans are dedicated and willing to wait for her to return to form. She really is loved by many unconditionally. Not unlike the rest of the skaters....her story is special.

Coutesy of the great Tatijana Flade
https://cs7054.vk.me/c7002/v7002433/db19/wkXV-9Qknhw.jpg

Last edited:

usethis2

Medalist
I was just clicking through some of the pages in this thread and I had no idea so many were offended by Lipnitskaya's less-than-perfect manners in receiving flowers. I think people are reading too much into it. I just thought she was not happy with her skate and I did not think she was rude to the girls. Actually I thought it was a rather unusual sight that girls are brining every bouquet to the K&C zone. Lipnitskaya did the best she could do, I think. I would have done worse. lol.

usethis2

Medalist
Park has "individually" beautiful postures but comes off wooden as she goes from one move to another. And what is wrong with her layback..

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Park has "individually" beautiful postures but comes off wooden as she goes from one move to another. And what is wrong with her layback..

Her spins are improving though and her 3sal is just everything. She always has really good musicality and programs to compliment that aspect of her skating. Just thinking out loud here I guess but to me her strength is in those delicate movements but when it's time to add a bit of emphasis on certain movements to make her skating also appear crisp she kind of comes up a bit underwhelming at least in my eyes. I think that is the "wooden" effect. I guess it's similar to what others have been saying since last year in that she just doesn't fully commit at times.

I honestly thought she had an amazing program and was surprised the crowd seemed a bit detached when it ended. They weren't really clapping and into like I found myself. I think she lost momentum in the StSeq because those crazy violins swells are really difficult to interpret and it looked a bit out of her comfort zone...for now at least. It never really built back up to the feeling she created in the beginning up to the StSeq for the rest of the program IMO.

I do however think it will come along nicely as this season unfolds. It's so early and come March she'll likely be in Boston with a much more refined program.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I was just clicking through some of the pages in this thread and I had no idea so many were offended by Lipnitskaya's less-than-perfect manners in receiving flowers. I think people are reading too much into it. I just thought she was not happy with her skate and I did not think she was rude to the girls. Actually I thought it was a rather unusual sight that girls are bringing every bouquet to the K&C zone. Lipnitskaya did the best she could do, I think. I would have done worse. lol.
Well actually they bring everything to the KnC, it has always been like that, in 2013 the same: https://youtu.be/cBZ6Y8SOHAU

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

I wouldn't feel ok eating food from random people, especially if I was Yulia, who seems to have some particularly creepy stalkers. :slink:

If I was a skater, I would rather get notes or cards or maybe a small handmade art/craft thing...something more personal than flowers in plastic or a stuffed toy (although I know they mostly donate the toys anyway). But to solve the k'n'cry issue, maybe they could have a large box off to the side for the flowers/gifts like I've seen in photos of some Japanese shows.