2015 Four Continents Practice reports | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2015 Four Continents Practice reports

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You obviously fell into the "is this a typo" thing Phil Hersh had going on for a while there. :laugh:

Do you have a link for Hersh's article?

I want Jason to have success too, and I admire Kori Ade for not wanting to ruin his confidence, and therefore not putting the quad in too soon. If Jason lands a quad in this competition even 2 footed and/or UR, I think it'll still be a success. And also show international judges he intends to contend.

OTOH, I am a fan of Richard Dornbush,:hijacked: and it's been painful to watch him from 2011 to the present struggling to include the quad, when it usually messes up the rest of his program. And his programs and artistry are lovely.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, it is not really sudden because it's been discussed on the Jason Brown thread for weeks. :laugh:

Oh I don't follow that thread regularly cause I have other threads I'm replying in and stuff and I do not like to have unchecked threads I reply in...okay now I sound like a BAD fan. XP I'm not!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I'll just comfort myself in the fact that when S/H did well at 4cc, they ended up doing not-so-well at worlds... If this doesn't turn out to be a good comp. for them, hopefully they can nail it at worlds in shanghai.
Sigh, Peng and Sui on those jumps... they definitely can do them. I was so baffled when Peng was going into a 3t at SA that looked good, then fell on it. It's a mental thing, I guess.
Okay, I'm rooting for S/H to peak at Worlds then. :cheer:

I think Sui's okay--by the standards of Chinese pairs--on the jumps. She can do both 3T and 3S (the latter later in the program), and for the most part she lands the jumps. They don't always look pretty and they're not always in sync with her partner, but she does them well enough to not affect the program. Peng, on the other hand... :bang: That 3T at SA just killed me. When she lands her jumps, they're airier and prettier than Sui's... but somehow she doesn't land them.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Okay, I'm rooting for S/H to peak at Worlds then. :cheer:

I think Sui's okay--by the standards of Chinese pairs--on the jumps. She can do both 3T and 3S (the latter later in the program), and for the most part she lands the jumps. They don't always look pretty and they're not always in sync with her partner, but she does them well enough to not affect the program. Peng, on the other hand... :bang: That 3T at SA just killed me. When she lands her jumps, they're airier and prettier than Sui's... but somehow she doesn't land them.

Fortunately for S/H, it seems like they're steadily getting better at them- I believe they did the sbs 3s sucessfully at TEB and GPF, which is a good sign. Peng- I don't understand. When she lands them, they look good, and she does it quite often in practice(here at 4cc as well, as evidenced by the clips). But she messes up so often in comp. The thing is, they do a 2a and 3t2t to S/H's 3s and 3t2t2t. People say how consistent Y/J are on their sbs, but I'm curious as to how they'll do with upgraded jumps, as they're currently doing 2a2a seq and 3t.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Fortunately for S/H, it seems like they're steadily getting better at them- I believe they did the sbs 3s sucessfully at TEB and GPF, which is a good sign. Peng- I don't understand. When she lands them, they look good, and she does it quite often in practice(here at 4cc as well, as evidenced by the clips). But she messes up so often in comp. The thing is, they do a 2a and 3t2t to S/H's 3s and 3t2t2t. People say how consistent Y/J are on their sbs, but I'm curious as to how they'll do with upgraded jumps, as they're currently doing 2a2a seq and 3t.
Well, Y/J also messed up one of their jumps at Universiade, so I wouldn't hold them up as a paragon of consistency either. :slink: Oh Chinese pairs, y'all need a jump coach. I think, overall, S/H are still the strongest jumpers. I wonder if they'll consider upgrading to 3S in the SP? Honestly, their toeloops don't look any more consistent than their salchows, so might as well as go for the bigger points.

Peng's jumps frustrate me to no end, because otherwise they have great scoring potential. Even with the easiest SBS jumps, the easiest throws, and the lowest PCS (which would've been higher if they'd been in the second group), they managed to beat both S/H and K/S in the LP at GPF. I hope they get those jumps sorted out, because they receive top scores for everything else.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Well, Y/J also messed up one of their jumps at Universiade, so I wouldn't hold them up as a paragon of consistency either. :slink: Oh Chinese pairs, y'all need a jump coach. I think, overall, S/H are still the strongest jumpers. I wonder if they'll consider upgrading to 3S in the SP? Honestly, their toeloops don't look any more consistent than their salchows, so might as well as go for the bigger points.

Peng's jumps frustrate me to no end, because otherwise they have great scoring potential. Even with the easiest SBS jumps, the easiest throws, and the lowest PCS (which would've been higher if they'd been in the second group), they managed to beat both S/H and K/S in the LP at GPF. I hope they get those jumps sorted out, because they receive top scores for everything else.

Yeah, I think Peng's situation with the sbs is more urgent than the other Chinese pairs ladies. While the other pairs men are quite young, Zhang is not. It's doubtful that he will continue past 2018, so she needs to get those jumps consistent asap, or there won't be many opportunities to take advantage of their scoring potential, which, as you mentioned, is very high(would be even higher if they upgraded their throws from the 3lo and 3s they currently do).

magicrider

Rinkside
I am a Canadian and at least I am making my own comment, not giving "someone"'s comment. I love watching Duhamel and Radford. If they had both been just artistic or just athletic, they would not have been able to grow together as they have. I have no "flack" to give them. Please don't generalize in your comments about Canada or any other country.

chloepoco

Medalist
I love Satoko and hope she does well!!

Some more videos from day 2 (and there should be more coming): https://www.youtube.com/user/heeyuhee/videos

That is the point. You can definitely have both qualities but for some reason a lot fans seem only to notice the former two qualities and they tend to use only those qualities as a measure of good skating. I'm not basing this on only two users--it's the same perception for a few other active korean fans on twitter. Satoko's been called '초딩' since her 3rd place finish in the GP (and they weren't just referring to her size). Again I stress, only some fans are thinking like this. It's just annoying for me because I want her to podium without seeing some nonsense about overscoring.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Ok, I looked at Satoko's run through of the SP she did yesterday...and folks...she was SLOW. And this is me being a major fan of Satoko.
Maybe she wasn't giving it 100% because it is a run through, maybe she is tired, maybe it's just an 'off' day. Her spins were slower than usual too...she fell on the flip...basically, it was just not a very good run-through. I'm not worried though. She will do fine when it counts.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Ok, I looked at Satoko's run through of the SP she did yesterday...and folks...she was SLOW. And this is me being a major fan of Satoko.
Maybe she wasn't giving it 100% because it is a run through, maybe she is tired, maybe it's just an 'off' day. Her spins were slower than usual too...she fell on the flip...basically, it was just not a very good run-through. I'm not worried though. She will do fine when it counts.

Although Im not a confident as you, I do think she will be able to pull it off and have good performances. Go Satoko!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Some more videos from day 2 (and there should be more coming): https://www.youtube.com/user/heeyuhee/videos

That is the point. You can definitely have both qualities but for some reason a lot fans seem only to notice the former two qualities and they tend to use only those qualities as a measure of good skating. I'm not basing this on only two users--it's the same perception for a few other active korean fans on twitter. Satoko's been called '초딩' since her 3rd place finish in the GP (and they weren't just referring to her size). Again I stress, only some fans are thinking like this. It's just annoying for me because I want her to podium without seeing some nonsense about overscoring.
The "Korean fans" only commented on Satoko's speed, did not "mention" her other quality at all, how did you concluded that they only notice speed and only use this quality as a measure of good skating just because they did not "mention" her other good quality? As long as they did not bash Satoko's other good quality such as delicacy/choreo, I think there is no foul play on them.

EDIT: just watched Satoko's SP fancam, no offense, she does looked like a elementary school girl(googled that korean word). especially when comparing to passing by "big girls". Also, it feels like rehearsed/put-upon performance from a hard-working elementary school girl. especially prominent in this SP fancam.
this is my true impression, and I like Satoko a lot, long before she become Japanese No.1(I like her musicality and dexterity).
And if Satoko get dinged by this, I think it is fair.
And there are so many other girls fancam for comparison...Gosh...
I love fancams :)

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

To be fair. EVERYBODY looked slower. I really think it is the video quality or something.

She will probably will be fine.

begin

Medalist
The "Korean fans" only commented on Satoko's speed, did not "mention" her other quality at all, how did you concluded that they only notice speed and only use this quality as a measure of good skating just because they did not "mention" her other good quality? As long as they did not bash Satoko's other good quality such as delicacy/choreo, I think there is no foul play on them.

Like I said, some fans we're saying she didn't deserve her scores/medals since Skate Canada bc of her small/slow skating (once again, disregarding everything else). Some users still seem to think that from the 4CC reports. I'm not calling foul play(?) on anyone. It's just worth pointing out that there's more to skating than speed and height and yes some fans don't seem to know the difference yet. Let us stop here before the thread derails.

Pairs dress rehearsal fom today: https://twitter.com/Sanhocho/media

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
From the SP practice video, I think Satoko looks the same as I see in competition speedwise, but the spins are slower. What made me dislike her is her jumps—she literally sit-land on her many jumps. The disadvantages of her jumps will be very obvious when Karen Chen starts competing at the senior level, who is also tiny but skates much bigger and better than Satoko on many levels, or if there is one day Alexandra Proklova competes internationally at the senior level.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^^ I think if you "only" point out Satoko's good quality, would be better :) And if she is indeed small/slow skating, her score should reflect that (just like other way around) And is it some fans seems dont know the difference (aka there is other quality beside speed and height) or is it your prejudice of those fans' comments.
I think the fan's comment is accurate, as it is clearly showed in this fancam and did not deserve your complaints here.
And I will stop here too.:)

Last edited:

inskate

On the Ice
The disadvantages of her jumps will be very obvious when Karen Chen starts competing at the senior level, who is also tiny but skates much bigger and better than Satoko on many levels

Both Karen and Satoko are quite short, but Karen has very different body proportions - her long legs allow her better spring into her jumps. In comparison, Satoko's body seems to consist 50% of head and skating boots. As her coach pointed out, she doesn't have a natural talent or a good body build for figure skating, but she makes up for it working twice as hard. Also, I don't think her SP is doing her any favours (although IMHO it would have looked nice if skated by someone tall with ability to generate speed easily within their step sequences, like Carolina_K or Mao). However, I love her FS, and many fans pointed out that they were surprised with her speed and ice coverage when they watched it live.

ETA: However, I watched the SP practice clips and I don't think she was /that/ slow considering the fact that her ice coverage was limited by other skaters, who were skating close to the boards. She did look a bit taller to me, though (both here and at Nagoya Fest). I wonder if she had a bit of a growth spurt recently, or if it's just the camera angle.

What made me dislike her is her jumps—she literally sit-land on her many jumps

A deep knee bend would have looked stunning if she had more speed out of her jumps and they were higher (see: Nobunari Oda). Yes, it looks kind of odd if the skater has low jumps with average speed out of them, but a deep knee landing helps to distribute the impact of the landing across the entire leg (the muscles act as shock absorbers), which reduces the wear and tear on the skater's hip/knee joints. I much prefer it over the stiff SLAM!!!-and-back-flail-then-kick-to-hide-lack-of control-on-the-landing that seems to become increasingly popular recently (with, unsurprisingly, the skaters who practice them complaining of angle/hip/knee pains while still in their early teens).

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
after watching so youn's SP run through i aprreciated her arms and hands once more, i think she should wear gloves all the time :love:
and about satoko she seemed slow, apart from other reasons ppl mentiones it might be because camera was focused on her too close and we couldnt see how much ice she covered, at least its how it looked like to me :biggrin:

Warwick360

Medalist
after watching so youn's SP run through i aprreciated her arms and hands once more, i think she should wear gloves all the time :love:
and about satoko she seemed slow, apart from other reasons ppl mentiones it might be because camera was focused on her too close and we couldnt see how much ice she covered, at least its how it looked like to me :biggrin:

If soyoun ends up getting low PCS for her LP (again) compared to her competitors I think I might just flip out. Given, her transitions leave much to be desired, the rest of her scores have left me perplexed. Same with Polina. :confused: