2015 Skate America Ladies SP Oct 23 | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate America Ladies SP Oct 23

randomfan

Record Breaker
Evgenia was amazing! She should definitely be in the lead. But even so, her score was way too high. Yes, tanos, 2nd half bonuses, and dominating the junior ladies field in the previous year will give you a lot of points. But the judges were still honestly a bit too generous with her GOE and PCS. Nice spins, good step sequence, but the scoring of the program was very bizarre.

Gracie skated much better than I expected. Her 3Lz-3T was beautiful and it's too bad she doubled the flip. I'm not too sure why she is even trying it in the first place, considering that the chance of her getting good GOE for it are very low (at least lower than the loop). PCS was too high, but overall I think she had a great performance and hopefully she can do the same (or even better) tomorrow.

No surprise from Satoko. Still consistent, has good presentation and spins, but still lacks a lot in jumps. I'm sad to say that her jumps really make me cringe a lot, and since the judges think that too, they're marking her lower on other aspects of her skating. While her PCS seemed fair (although very slightly lower would've been fine too), the judges are clearly telling her to work on those jumps, because their way of judging apparently puts the jumps first. So no matter how well Satoko does executing her non-jump elements, if she doesn't fix those jumps they will not score her higher.

On the other hand, Karen was a surprise. I honestly did not expect her to skate that well. After that big underrotation on the 3T I thought she might've made some more mistakes, but she put up a gorgeous performance. Yulia seemed more into the program than Finlandia, but the program still feels awkward to me. I thought she would've gone ahead of Karen, but I'm okay with the score they gave her. Alaine was also good. Overscored PCS for sure, but overall I liked her performance today. Too be honest though, almost all the PCS scores in this event were VERY questionable. And most of the skaters with the questionable PCS were the ones judged at least a bit too high. Anyways, it's too bad that Alaine's combo turned out bad, but it was actually not too distracting for me while watching the rest of the performance.

Other than Miyu and Haruka, everyone else seemed honestly disappointing to me. Their mistakes made me get really distracted from the performances. I hope that they could have better showings tomorrow. If they do have better showings however, I'm scared that the judges will probably undermark them by a lot since they're skating early.

cptnhastings

On the Ice
Satako's spins. Wow.

Bravo. That last one going in both directions and FAST. <3

I loved the choreography, etc.

I also loved Gracie's program. And Medvedev's Tano Flip so late in the program (I'll figure out what they're calling it later). WOW.

I'm still so sick of the Bielmann. It was so awesome when it was just a few people. But now, it just looks awful because everyone does it. I'd so prefer a Nikodinov layback instead. So elegant and beautiful. (Just like the Sato footwork sequence that would get virtually no points today.) Poor (86 year old !!!!) Dick Button must be so mad. He loves good laybacks. And they don't happen anymore. :(

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I do think Karen should have high PCS, for her SS and speed. Her choreography though, is very generic, especially all the ladies ahead of her have more intricate choreography.

How do you guys compare her with Satoko? Jumps, spins, ss, presentation... I just found out they are exactly of the same height

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Karen is better at jumps than Satoko, equal in spins, and not as good in SS or presentation. I feel like Karen hurtles through her elements, and doesn't have complete control over speed. However, she's a dynamo and some part of her skating, esp. that effusive joy, made me think of Michelle Kwan.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Karen is better at jumps than Satoko, equal in jumps, and not as good in SS or presentation. I feel like Karen hurtles through her elements, and doesn't have complete control over speed.

I agree, loved her attack and speed but other than the final spiral it was rushed. She wasn't holding her pretty positions so it looked sloppy. It's something that should be pretty simple to fix.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Karen is better at jumps than Satoko, equal in spins, and not as good in SS or presentation. I feel like Karen hurtles through her elements, and doesn't have complete control over speed. However, she's a dynamo and some part of her skating, esp. that effusive joy, made me think of Michelle Kwan.
Karen does remind me of Kwan. The girl is young. She has bright future if she manages to become more consistent.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Wait, how is Satoko not getting the highest PCS here? SS should be at least 9. PE/CH/IN should be 9+. TR 8.5+. Better transitions than the rest of the field. Better interpretation/choreography/performance/skating skills than everyone else. No one comes close. The only one who is better than her in PCS is Mao Asada and Mao isn't here.

TES is correct, PCS should be 35+.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
What an ugly mockery of skater's surname.
Making fun of her name, however complicated it would be, is degrading and unacceptable behaviour towards any human being, especially 15yo girl. You should be ashamed. :disapp:

LMAO. I love how bent out of shape some people can get about something so trivial.

She is a new senior on the scene and she just won the SP. Let's have some fun with it while we can.

I wasn't making fun of her name in a bad way. I was making an endearing remark by purposefully messing up her name, to further state the point of how this newcomer came out and decimated the field.

taltaltel

On the Ice
Quite surprised that Gracie is 2nd with the invalid element. I thought she started off well with the nice 3Lz-3T combo and feeling the music well, but then she just sort of rushed through the rest of the program without much thought. Evgenia seems overscored to me but is deservedly in the lead; Satoko really should have had the highest PCS out of everyone here but of course she didn't get the credit she deserves, as usual. I can't believe judges gave her +1 only for her step sequence. To me it is obviously one of the best step sequences this year, up there with Mao's.

taltaltel

On the Ice
Also, not a fan of the way she zoomed through her program, but Karen Chen's final layback was to die for. I didn't like the sideways position, but the classic layback and the Biellmann were both excellently done. It would be nice if she put in more arm variations for her classic position, just to remind everyone of what American skaters were once capable of in spins.

ioanablabla

On the Ice
Country
Romania
Before I saw the performances and saw only the finishing order I thought no way in hell could Evgenia beat Satoko and a clean Gracie (who wasn't clean, but that was what I predicted based on only scores). But she was very enjoyable, a true star. I still hate the excess of tanos and this type of program with jumps crowded at the end of the program, but that is just my personal preference.
I enjoyed Gracie too and I am glad she is switching to something with attitude and fire! I think like taltaltel that she rushed some of her elements. I just hope she won't choke in the long program.
Satoko... I always like her and she doesn't look like the skaters I usually enjoy, she skates very neat, I guess the complaint about small jumps continues..

ragdoll

On the Ice
I can't help but wonder who picked Lipnitskaya's SP music. It doesn't suit her at all and is more or a show programme (but not for her!). Whoever chose or let her choose it certainly didn't consider what usually pleases the judges or what suits Yulia as a person.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I can't help but wonder who picked Lipnitskaya's SP music. It doesn't suit her at all and is more or a show programme (but not for her!). Whoever chose or let her choose it certainly didn't consider what usually pleases the judges or what suits Yulia as a person.
Marina Zueva chose music for her SP.

Rissa

Record Breaker
I completely don't get the opinion that Karen Chen was underscored on PCS. Her elements were rushed and unfinished to my eyes and the choreography was rather mediocre, She was nowhere near Medvedeva or Gracie Gold or even Lipnitkaia who had some character to her program.

I loved Gracie and Evgenia and Julia. Julia's program is great and she did show some attitude but this program needs even more. Hopefully this is something she will improve throught the season. Evegenia was brilliant. I'm seldom into those lyrical programs but this was great and she skated with surprising polish for her age. Plus, the backloading and starting from the step sequence caused her program to stand out, good choreography. Gracie always left me cold in the past but her performance here converted me. :clap: Satoko was good, I could tell, but unlike Gracie she hasn't completely convinced me yet.I definitely prefer somwhat fiesty Satoko than princessy Satoko. Elizabet Tursynbaeva was a bit disappointing, and I'm a fan. She's a rare instance of a delicate butterfly that I like, but I could use a bit more engagement into her program. Alaine Chartrand, on the other hand, has great energy, it's a blast to watch her.

Last edited: